android
Old 06-15-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilghost View Post
p.s. Do the Panas from play.com come with metal connector cables or plastic ones?
I had a pair delivered from play.com this week, they came with metal connectors.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackyTiger View Post
I had a pair delivered from play.com this week, they came with metal connectors.
Thanks. Giving these one last chance, and hoping third time's the charm.

If they die too, they can go to hell, zirconium or otherwise.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

But, being made of zirconium, they won't burn there.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM

Hi,

I just got a pair of HJE900 for £80 on amazon.co.uk.
Right out of the box i must say they hurt my ears !! Trebles are so harsh for me.
I hope they will settle down with some burn in (~30h of use now). Did you see an improvement and how many hours did it take ?

2 days after owning them the filters/wax protector were gone (i tried a lot of tips)... A little disapointment here but after all meh whatever... i did the foam mod et voila ! It smoothed the trebbles a little (very little), but right now it still is too much for my taste...

So i tried to play with the EQ of my rockboxed clip+, and they respond quite well !
I am starting to really enjoy them a lot.

But still i am curious, any one have a rockboxed clip+ and the panys ? If you EQ them, what are your settings ?

(By the way i'm french so please excuse me if my english is a little hum... approximate )

Thank you.
AMP : Hippo Box+ (black)

Last edited by ApaucalyptiK; 06-19-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaucalyptiK View Post
Right out of the box i must say they hurt my ears !! Trebles are so harsh for me.
I agree, I felt the same. It came as a surprise, especially as I'm far from being a teenager (or a dog).

Finally I put some Comply T-400 tips on, which allowed me to put a larger ball of foam in to tame the treble more.

I'm also using the high density foam that came from the box a hard disc was delivered in.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 AM

I have found the T-400s to be a perfect match with my HJE900s, with no extra foam stuffing required.

Comply foam tips don't get much love on this forum but I think they're great, especially where you want good noise isolation. Plus I get a perfect fit every time, something I can't achieve 100% reliably with any silicon tips I've ever tried (and believe me I've tried a LOT of 'em - Sony, Phonak, Klipsch, Hippo, Mee, etc, etc)

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM

I've been considering the comply T400 and Tx400, but i'm affraid they are not for me... i believe i have "oily/greasy" ears, althought i wash them every day, let's be clear it's just the way they are

And i wonder what would be the result with a pair of foam tips... And how much time they would last because complys are quite expensive...

Old 06-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Just for your info, I have been using black T-400s with the Panas for 6 months, my ears are very greasy, and I have yet to change them.

They don't get that dirty, as opposed to the grey ones.
I guess something's different at the surface, the grey ones are wax magnets... and I don't think this is just the black colour hiding stuff.

I ordered black Tx-400s recently for testing.

Overall, my HJE900 haven't sounded better since I put the T-400s, they provide the best seal, I couldn't find a pair of silicon tips giving proper seal in both ears at the same time. I also found trebles to be more manageable with comply foams.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my TFi10s, they sound terribly bad with Comply foams (loss of bass and sh*tloads of reverb), I had to switch back to silicon tips after 2 minutes, it sounded so unnatural.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 AM

Salut tienbasse,

Tu veux dire que tu fais 6 mois avec une même paire de comply ?
Si c'est ca, ca va ca reste raisonnable... Par contre si c'est le lot de 3 (ou pire de 5) qui fais 6 mois c'est moins intéressant :/

Hi tienbasse,

You mean a single pair of complys can last about 6 month ?
If it's correct, it's pretty reasonnable... On contrary if it's the whole set of 3 (or worse, of 5) which last only 6 months it's less interesting :/

Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 PM

That's 6 months with the same pair, I have yet to use the other 2 pairs.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM

My cable is starting to go bad :-/

Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Original cables?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have been a bit under the weather. I have watched this thread lately with both concern and disappointment and, quite frankly, confusion.

Concern and disappointment at what appears to be a disturbing trend developing re: the long-term build quality of the Panas.

Confusion as I have not seen a single one of these reported symptoms myself - my own pair continue to look as good as they did when new back in September and they still sound incredible.

Sucks for you folks having some issues.

@Freddie, your pair has the cables with the brushed shiny silver cable ends right?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Despair ye not:

One thing always to keep in mind with forums is that issues are disproportionately represented ...

Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I- my own pair continue to look as good as they did when new back in
Same.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:22 PM

Same here, 10 months of (ab)use without any worry.
But I may sell them very soon if I like the JVC HA-FX700 which are on their way from Japan...

By the way I just received the round T-400s and tried them. My Pannies fit even better now than with the standard T-400s, they sit slightly deeper and don't move at all.
I'm always amazed to see than I can move my jaw without modifying the sound with Comply foams, which is not possible with silicon tips since they block air completely. In terms of sound signature, not much of a difference though, but better comfort is always welcome, I completely forget them.

Last edited by tienbasse; 06-26-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 AM

^I'd keep the pannies just in case, even if the fx700 becomes your main IEM. The fx700 has pretty poor isolation, so for those situations when said isolation is needed they'll end up sounding much better as a result of the lower noise floor.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM

I've had the Panas for about three months now, got them based on the recommendations I read on this fine forum. Initially I wasn't super-impressed I have to admit, the highs way too piercing and the bass somewhat overbearing in a 'potty' kind of way. Being more in the 'likes analytical with moderate bass type IEMs' camp I experimented with different silicon tips and actually liked the original tips much better than the Sony hybrids which made the Panas sound 'stuffed' for the lack of a better term. Highs were somewhat tamed but still with the occasional 'shriek' that makes your ears bleed (sibilant and shrill) and bass sounded more bloated than with the originals.

I tried the silicon tips that came with my PL-30's and they sounded much more to my liking but still a bit unbalanced. The piercing highs bothered me more than the 'fat' bass and so I decided to do the foam mod others have done. I also felt that the mids were way too recessed, their 'loudness' characteristic worked well for lower volume settings but not if I cranked up the gain, which is basically what I always do.

Since I previously modded my RE-0 by removing the little foam pads they had in them I decided to use those.
After I put the foamies in place I sealed the tube with the the little one-sided adhesive pads that came with the RE-0's. They keep the gunk out and smooth the highs out even more.

The modded Panas sound very balanced and quite good. Still a tad too much bass for my taste but after all they are famed to be somewhat bass-heavy and are being liked for that quality. If I dial down the bass a tad they sound about perfect for me. The mids are more forward now and that's a good thing.

The soundstage is relatively wide and has some depth to it and they are pretty lively and dynamic phones with a nice punch. They look and feel sturdy and I definitely hope that I don't run into the same troubles some others apparently had with theirs lately. Time will tell.

Last edited by razorblader; 06-27-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Yeah, original cables with the brushed metal ends. Took almost a year of abuse in my pocket, and i only use them for walking around, so whatever.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 AM

Yaayyyy.

Just got myself some panas today, through amazon.co.uk.

they were on sale a few weeks ago, but only for a day : £79, or €95... or $135.(they jumped back to £99 the day after)

Though i'm under the impression they are refurbished ( dust particles on the tips ) they look brand new. no scratches and stuff.

they already sound myriads better than my petty CX 300... but that was to be expected.

they also have way better seal and most of all they are much "louder". i don't have to pump the volume to 30-35 on the streets (and on the bike) anymore 25 does suffice...

i'm looking forward to take them for a longer trip and feel complete now.

J3 and HJE 900 rock mah socks off.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps