Ultra Senior Member

I'm suprised these are still popular.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
I'm suprised these are still popular.
Reason?

EDIT: After reading though the thread, I guess you mean the recent quality issues?

Last edited by cnhardwick; 05-20-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
Well guys J&R has the HJE900 open box for $67.90. Do I bite?
I did, and hope to be very happy soon. Was looking for these for months.

Turns out, J&R seems to have had only 8 sets to sell--sold out now.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I did, and hope to be very happy soon. Was looking for these for months.

Turns out, J&R seems to have had only 8 sets to sell--sold out now.
I got one of those 8 too! (Or at least I hope I did, it has not shipped yet . . . )

Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I got one of those 8 too! (Or at least I hope I did, it has not shipped yet . . . )
Good to hear (no pun intended) that you jumped as well. From everything I've read, a good sound and great deal. And actually, I mistyped earlier: I think J&R only had 6 sets ...

Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Reason?

EDIT: After reading though the thread, I guess you mean the recent quality issues?
More like theirs better......these annoy me everytime I put them in.

I can't believe I liked them this is what happens when you hear better, upgrading is officially evil.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
More like theirs better......these annoy me everytime I put them in.

I can't believe I liked them this is what happens when you hear better, upgrading is officially evil.
I see. Yes, upgrading is evil. My collection has now out grown my sig do to upgrading. So what do you have that is better? Is it in the same price range? Is it and IEM? I am looking for decent sub-$100 dynamic IEM to compliment my TripleFi 10. These sounded like the perfect fit, but maybe there is something better?

Last edited by cnhardwick; 05-20-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I see. Yes, upgrading is evil. My collection has now out grown my sig do to upgrading. So what do you have that is better? Is it in the same price range? Is it and IEM? I am looking for decent sub-$100 dynamic IEM to compliment my TripleFi 10. These sounded like the perfect fit, but maybe there is something better?

Hmmmm,

Actually you'll probably like the Pana coming from the Triple Fi i'm guessing.

Also I suggest you jump on that deal since they've sky rocketed back to regular price.

That something better depends on what your looking for....yes and no.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM

That is kind of what I was thinking. I really like the treble of the TF10, so the brightness of the HJE900 sounds like what I am looking for. I figure worse case scenario I am sure I would have no trouble turning around and sell the HJE900 if I do not like it.

Probably my ideal sound signature would be bright treble (but not harsh), warm mids (not forward, but not recessed), and punchy (but not excessive) bass. Pretty much take the treble of the TF10, the mids of the A151, and the bass of the iM-590.

Last edited by cnhardwick; 05-20-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

cnhardwick: The bass on the Panas is deeper, punchier, faster and more satisfying than the i590s to my ears. I love my Panas - the highs are bright with no sibilance and the mids are forward enough on my un-modded Panas that guitar and voice stuff sounds awesome.

I really really think you will love the Panas, especially since we seem to agree quite alot on how the i590s sound.

Now the question is where you can get em from...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
cnhardwick: The bass on the Panas is deeper, punchier, faster and more satisfying than the i590s to my ears. I love my Panas - the highs are bright with no sibilance and the mids are forward enough on my un-modded Panas that guitar and voice stuff sounds awesome.

I really really think you will love the Panas, especially since we seem to agree quite alot on how the i590s sound.

Now the question is where you can get em from...
Well, I ordered from J&R before they went OOS. They have not shipped yet though so fingers crossed.

EDIT: I guess they only had 5 because I just call the from CS letting me no that the HJE900 is out of stock and discontinued. Sigh. Oh well, that is good news for my wallet at least. I guess I will just listen to my TF10 (for now).

Last edited by cnhardwick; 05-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 AM

need to rant. dammit. i hate it when expensive things break down on you. the hje900 that i bought last feb from amazon is having problems. looks like the same problem as some of the posts here where one of the monitors start to fade and then lose their sound altogether. you try to twist and unplug the cables a couple of times (ok, lots of times) but only a little sound comes out or none at all. it's irritating.

what's worse is that there's no warranty for these because i didn't notice that the seller was "Amazon.com Int'l Sales, Inc.". there is a warranty slip in the box but i contacted panasonic and they said that that warranty slip is for the seller's use and not the manufacturer. so i contacted the "seller", which is amazon also, and all i get is a "sorry, we don't do repairs. contact your manufacturer" crap. just a warning for others who buy from amazon, check the seller! it should be a legit shop or company with a homepage and contact numbers and all and that can use the warranty slips in the product. if amazon is listed as the seller, look for another one. tsk tsk

j4r3du: hello! i read in the threads that you're selling your still working monitor? is it still available and how much? can you ship to japan?

or does anybody know how to fix these?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4r3du View Post
dfkt -Ah, fair enough. I was trying to just point out that it had no effect on sound quality

Since the hje900 are sort of out of the picture, have you found a different model recently, which you enjoy as much. I originally bought the Panasonics based solely upon your review and I agree they were awesome, which makes how the one monitor turned out , more tragic.

sYlt, contact me any time. It will just be sitting in my drawer unless someone else needs it.
Came across this review of the MEElectronics CC51 on that other site. The reviewer compares the CC51 to the HJE900. I wish I had gotten my hands on one of the HJE900 to compare them myself, but it might at least be worth looking into.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Compare the price of this IEM Headphone on Amazon and Amazon UK, I found the difference of 150 USD in price( included the shipping fee from UK to US), I wonder why?
Another concern is that are there any ones in this price level which can match the RP-HJE900 in sound quality? If nothing changes, I will order one from UK next month...
Thank you in advance and I look forward to your reply.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Talking From a very contented recent buyer

Received these buds recently, picking a pair up from JR Music's recent seeming liquidation of its remaining small stock at a superb price, $71 or so including the shipping (sold as "open box," although the only thing open box about the buds was the outer product packaging, which showed some wear, and the silly, unnecessary, large, impossible-to-remove neon orange "OPEN BOX" sticker that JR put over the front of the product packaging--the buds, tips and cable never seem to have been opened or used).

The buds truly are a joy, and I have gotten a few headaches from them by playing music too loudly (a bad practice I now will stop), reveling in the clear and rich--but not over-powering--sound (and this despite no burning in, yet, of the buds). The buds really bring out another level and quality of the sound, as compared to my lower and mid-level Shure buds (which themselves have been respectable enough for me). The only improvements I would have liked to have seen are, larger-sized tips (for my larger American ears, perhaps?), a slightly longer cable (for my longer American torso?) with a right-angle plug (to protect one's player, although I know that people differ as to this), and bud screens placed inside the buds rather than on the end (mine came off almost immediately, as I experimented with different tips). Also, I must admit that I appreciate Shure's concern with the well thought-out angled placement of its buds in the user's ears, perhaps resulting in the increased isolation of its buds, both of which would have been appreciated in the Panasonic buds (although I understand that the use of the Sleek Audio replacement cable can enhance matters in both regards). Although I note a tiny amount of increased silibance, that seems, to me, simply to reflect the clearer sound--I also note the "th" sound more clearly when sung as well. The sound and high physical quality of the construction of the buds--they feel as if they will last for many years--should be the standard, and prove that it can be done without breaking the bank, as with some other high-quality buds.

A recommendation as to the cable length: you can pick up a short cable extender (current generation: 8"; earlier model and even better: 12"), with volume control and a right-angle plug, from Radio Shack in the U.S.--this has been perfect for me, getting the cable to the perfect length of my other phones and having the extra benefit of the volume control and right-angle plug, both of which I have come to appreciate.

And my appreciation to folks here and in the threads at head-fi.org for the many comments and suggestions concerning these buds, especially as to alternate tips and replacement cables, and sources (would be nice if Panasonic had those items domestically, in the U.S.--but easily handled, from the noted sources).

Had had my eye on these buds ever since I belatedly (months later, after the JR sale on the buds took place last year) came across this thread and the great reviews here--thanks, dfkt!--but couldn't find a price anywhere lower than the mid-$100 neighborhood until the JR liquidation of the stock.

I am very content right now.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Nice mikerman...enjoy 'em! My own love affair with these continue unabated [though I am ever so slightly perturbed by the recent reports of build issues from a few posts back].

Suggestion: definitely give lower volumes a shot. That has been one of the best things I have learned here on ABi and I feel the Panas really shine like this. Not that they don't sound terrific "loud" but I dunno...the clarity and soundstage really come through for me at decently low volumes. [Though in truth I have been listening lower with all my gear with similar benefits."

They ain't for everyone, but so glad you are liking the Panas

<gently clinking nice and shiny Zirconium housings with you>
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, I definitely am a moderate volume sorta guy--it's just that the volume has had a way of creeping up with these buds, because the sound is so rich and smooth.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Yep, I definitely am a moderate volume sorta guy--it's just that the volume has had a way of creeping up with these buds, because the sound is so rich and smooth.
That was a tough lesson to learn with my Grados.....so easy to turn them up, then turn them up again, because they keep sounding great.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Eh??? What's that you say sonny?

Seriously, not to sound like an old fart but yeah, I wish I had been a wee bit less non-chalant about my music listening volume levels as a kid. My ears test out pretty OK now even after all the bad stuff I put them through way back when as a punk-azz kid, but for sure, I got very very faint background ringing I notice on occasion and my high end hearing is definitely capped around 15-16khz [I think].

Kids! Don't try that at home!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Nice mikerman...enjoy 'em! My own love affair with these continue unabated [though I am ever so slightly perturbed by the recent reports of build issues from a few posts back].
One of these was mine. Here's another one.
The replacement pair Amazon has sent me is showing a defect as well, as I discovered today. Lightly bending the strain relief between audio connector and cable causes sound distortion and horrible loss of quality. I suspect the cable has become damaged.

Now, ever since I got a defective pair, I've been extra careful with these. I've been handling them like babies, in fact calling them my babies. My boyfriend thinks I love them more than him.

What boggles my mind is I haven't really been abusing them. Over the last 30 days they couldn't possibly have seen more than 24 hours of use total - mainly on my way to uni. Right now it's a dilemma whether to send them back (still have four days left as per amazon return policy), or look for a new cable.

Seeing as Panasonic is basically pretending the HJE900s were never produced, I guess you can safely say after those 4 days I'll be stuck with a pair of beautifully sounding earphones for use in bed. And I'm gonna go ahead and say no to that prospect =/

The thing with the cable is I really like the build quality of the supplied one. I like the metal, the thickness, the feel of it. I like how it was meant to compliment the earphones. Getting a plastic Sleek alternative ruins that for me.

It's called OCD

Like I said, I've fallen in love with these. I have also been shouting obscenities in three different languages, because this is just bollocks

p.s. Do the Panas from play.com come with metal connector cables or plastic ones?

Last edited by lilghost; 06-15-2011 at 02:59 PM.