android
Old 12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFP View Post
I really like the way these sound, except for the fact that they hiss very noticably with my Cowon J3. I've tried different recordings and different EQ settings, but it's still there and very noticable during quiet bits/songs.

I know someone else has mentioned in here having no hiss with these and a J3. Could it be that that person doesn't hear it for some reason? Or is my pair possibly defective?

Don't know but as far as mine I hear no hiss, they exhibit a bit on some tracks but not much.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Don't know but as far as mine I hear no hiss, they exhibit a bit on some tracks but not much.
Do you use a J3?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As well as a S9.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM

guess that the build quality in these is not as good as it looks... one week of light use and one of the filters came off (and since it's so small i don't know where it is)... wondering what can i do about it, any ideas?

update : i read the other pages of the thread and this seems to happen really often... and a while back i was changing the tips on the iems and the other filter fall of as well... guess i'll just try the foam thing (kinda dissapointed tho, the filters on cheaper iems has never fall off on me)

Last edited by keiiferrer; 12-20-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:56 PM

This is a question directed towards lestatar or anyone who can answer this question: if the medium sony hybrids fit me perfectly with these phones should the medium size v-moda ear tips fit me as well?

Right now I'm using the hybrids with the panas as I couldn't get a good seal with the stock ear tips. I'm finding that the hybrids do decrease the treble so it isn't harsh which is a good thing, but I also notice that they increase the mid bass hump somewhat significantly with me making anything below about 50hz sound recessed. I'm hoping with a wider nozzle tips and the foam mod to get a more linear base response. Also they're only at 20 some hours of burn in so further burn in should help too I figure.

Despite the recessed low base, I'm very impressed with these phones and they're not even at their full potential yet! After about 100 hours of burn in and further listening to them I may give a fuller impression of these phones.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
This is a question directed towards lestatar or anyone who can answer this question: if the medium sony hybrids fit me perfectly with these phones should the medium size v-moda ear tips fit me as well?

Right now I'm using the hybrids with the panas as I couldn't get a good seal with the stock ear tips. I'm finding that the hybrids do decrease the treble so it isn't harsh which is a good thing, but I also notice that they increase the mid bass hump somewhat significantly with me making anything below about 50hz sound recessed. I'm hoping with a wider nozzle tips and the foam mod to get a more linear base response. Also they're only at 20 some hours of burn in so further burn in should help too I figure.
Quoting myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
After about three weeks with the Sony Hybrid tips, I also am switching back to the V-Modas. The Sony's are very comfortable but they just will not stay inserted with the colder weather now. The seal with V-Modas is better overall, though they are less comfortable, just don't cushion those hard zirconia pebbles as much as the Hybrids do.
My sense is that the medium V-Modas are just slightly larger than the Sony Hybrids. They definitely seal more tightly and stay in place better, anyway.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@nathan: I have both the VModa tips and the Sony Hybrids [I bought large VModa tips and use large Hybrids].

They fit and feel differently to me. The VModas are definitely thicker material, the Sonys are very thin and supple.

For me, I find the seal better with the Hybrids - I barely use the VModas at all, but YMMV. The VModas are OK, but the Sonys feel much less "obtrusive" in my ears. Hard to explain - I can wear the Hybrids all day long with no fatigue, but not so for the VModas. The thicker VModas are also a little shallower [tips are not as tall].

Sorry, I think only way is to experiment for stuff like this...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 AM

Thanks for both of your responses! Well they're only 5 bucks on ebay so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they don't work out.

With the burn in, they're just pasted the 50 hour mark and the sound signature has dramatically changed. They are a lot less quirky/aggressive sounding now than when i first listened to them out of the box. The treble with the hybrids on only sound a bit increased over a flat response and the there is not as much of a high/mid base bump anymore - the low base actually has a bit of impact now which is nice. To be honest, I'm not quite sure if I want to change anything with the phones to alter the sound signature anymore as the current sound signature is very close to my preference.

One weird thing I notice when i first tried the panas out of the box was that the mids contained incredible amount of detail despite being considerably recessed. I do prefer the more balance sound that my panas now possess but i don't think there's that much greater detail in the mids now with them being more forward compared to before. Could this actually be possible with some weird psycho acoustic effect or could I just be crazy?

Last edited by nathan; 12-28-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nathan: there are a lot of people on ABi who know waaaaay more about IEMs and sound issues than I ever will. I myself am not nearly so analytical

FWIW, I suspect that your ears have simply gotten acclimated to the Panas. A good thing!

Find a pair of perfect tips and simply enjoy the Panas!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiiferrer View Post
guess that the build quality in these is not as good as it looks... one week of light use and one of the filters came off (and since it's so small i don't know where it is)... wondering what can i do about it, any ideas?

update : i read the other pages of the thread and this seems to happen really often... and a while back i was changing the tips on the iems and the other filter fall of as well... guess i'll just try the foam thing (kinda dissapointed tho, the filters on cheaper iems has never fall off on me)
Yeah some on the Pana come with the filter glued/intergrated some don't. My first pair didn't they came off during tip switching. My second pair sit inward some what nothing to worry about just a earwax protector.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Exactly what Confispect said. My own pair of Panas still are like brand new after 4 months.

And my Pana earwax protectors are of the slightly recessed into the nozzle variety.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Hello all,

Thought I'd add my thoughts on the RP-HJE900 which Father Christmas brought me over the festive period.

I use in-ear ‘phones for PMPs (currently 32gb ZuneHD and Sony Ericsson W910i, before that a Toshiba Gigabeat F40). Let’s get this straight – although I have fairly decent MP3 players, I certainly haven’t lashed out a fortune on earphones – essentially I have gone for good value replacements for the standard ‘phones which in the case of the Gigabeat and ZuneHD were truly pathetic. Since 2007 I’ve been using Creative’s EP-630 in-ear buds which are a steal in the UK for £6.99 from Amazon. They have also proved to be extremely robust and aren’t showing any signs of wear despite 3 years’ DAILY use.

Nevertheless, since purchasing the Zune, I’ve wanted to delve deeper into its doubtless musical ability and when I read dfkt’s review and saw the seductive pictures I and even more seductive prices I knew I needed to have them!!

I (ahem, Father Christmas) got them from Amazon UK for £96 which is a reasonable price considering some places are selling them for anything up to £231 here!!!

As with the advice on this forum, I ran them in for about 24 hours and the difference was very noticeable. From my experience, listening to these in-ear ‘phones compared to the EP-630 there was a dramatic difference, akin to lifting a veil on all the music I had been listening to before. I mostly noticed the difference on well-produced pop, rock and electronic music and genuinely heard a whole host of new nuances, even sounds which I had never heard before on the same music which I had been listening to for many years, and through decent if not audiophile equipment!

I did notice a certain amount of background hiss at first and remedied this by removing the gauze at the opening to the canal and putting in some non-dense foam. I used no more than I needed to as I didn’t want to lose any of that sparkling clarity. My other modification was to replace the rubber tips with Sony items – this makes all the difference when isolating outdoors noises, and it gives the bass a very welcome boost.

My conclusion: Unless you already have the perfect earphones or VERY damaged hearing, go and treat your ears to these gems.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats on your purchase make sure to share impressions over time/after burn-in (100) hours. I'm guessing Sony items, means Sony Hybrids you definitely should tip experiment if you feel the need to post on here that weird Les guy will crawl out Or somebody else equally informative.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Ah, my friend Confispect...

<crawling in...>
@monkeyninja: Congratulations indeed! Nice to always hear such positive responses to these fairly unknown but excellent sounding IEMs - I personally feel vindicated in pushing them so hard ever since I got mine back in September every time someone else enjoys them...it means I ain't completely crazy

The only thing I noticed is that yes, after the initial day or so, the Panas did seem to open up. Now, 4+ months later they continue to sound awesome to me.

Excellent description you used: "...akin to lifting a veil on all the music I had been listening to before." I love it - exactly how I feel about these gems. I too have the EP630 for ages and the Panas blow them away in every sense. Every day I use the Panas I am hearing stuff I never heard before. Yes, for me, these are the finest IEMs I have ever owned.

<...crawling away now...>
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM

I recently found another huge plus is the zirconia construction.

Last week I rolled back my desk chair and felt/heard something crunch under one of the casters. Looked down and there were my Panas in their draw string pouch under my wheel. I thought OH $#|T! I just bought these a couple months ago! But when I opened the pouch the only thing amiss was that one of the cables had come unplugged. Absolutely no damage!

Don't imagine there are many, if any, other IEMs that could pass that test.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice! Yeah, the zirconia thing might be gimmick or might not be in terms of contribution to the sound signature.

BUt there is no denying the fact that the Panas are indeed nearly indestructible - mine still look brand spanking new after 4+ months of near daily use.

Hmmm, wonder how they would fare here:
http://www.willitblend.com/

Any Pana owners care to take one for the team in the name of science?

I pass
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 AM

Does anybody know how one can get the Panas for a decent price in the USA? I saw them being sold for 89.99 pounds on Amazon UK, but they don't ship over to the US. I sent an email to the provider, hoping maybe he could make an exception (I'd be willing to cover all the shipping prices), but who knows how that'll turn out? I really want to get these earphones, though...any suggestions?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hope they ship over for you otherwise head to ABI Classifieds and see if you can catch someone selling over there. If not my other suggestion would be to take a trip over to head-fi For Sale section. Or rob somebody...

Edit: Lol Les, so many legs

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM

I have a couple of niggling questions about these IEMs before I spring for a pair. First, how long are they, nozzle to end without the rubber tips on? (exact mm would be nice if someone can grab a ruler).

Second, how weighty are they? Significant or unnoticeable? Comparable to the V-Moda Vibes?

Edit: I know the specs say 0.25 oz. (7g), but I don't really have a reference point for comparison.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 PM

The shells are about 20 mm from the tip of the nozzle to the opposite end.

They're fairly weighty. The stock IEM's that came with my Samsung Captivate are like feathers compared to the CZ's.

If you're concerned with possible fit issues, which you seem to be, consider buying some replacement tips to find the right one for you. Many have recommended a set of Sony Hybrids. I, myself, purchased a set of MEElec M11+ tips.