android
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Guys, excellent info on the tips. For sure, tip fit seems to be the single biggest complaint on the Panas. Still, relatively small but hugely inconvenient challenge for such excellent sound reproduction.

Thanks esantosh and JxK for the info/links....
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Tip fit is the ONLY complaint I have w/the Panny's, so I'll be getting different tips myself. I'm gonna go w/a different route tho, as I'm gonna go w/some triple flanges I saw on the B&H Photo website. Wish me luck, or I'll be stuck w/the Sony hybrid tips.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Has anyone actually tried out the Sleek Audio cables? I will have the Sleek Audio W1 Wireless transmitter this Friday to test out with the Pana's, hoping it works like a charm and eliminates the cable issue entirely. If not I will probably pick up the Sleek Audio SA6 to pair up with the W1 transmitter lol.

Stereo: KEF iQ90's, KEF iQ60c, KEF iQ30's, 10" Velodyne

Old 10-28-2010, 03:58 PM

^I'll be getting a loaner pair of the panas with the SA6 cable this coming Friday or Saturday. I'll let you know then.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
^Consider purchasing the 10 tip set from the meelelec m11+. For the cord, try ordering the sleek sa6 cable. It's longer, thinner, lighter, and should allow for a deeper insertion.
Thanks for the suggestions JxK, but you sure about the sa6? And not the sa1? The 6 has a right angle connector which may be awkward compared to the sa1 straight connection which is more in line with the stock cable design just a bit longer.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk282 View Post
Has anyone actually tried out the Sleek Audio cables? I will have the Sleek Audio W1 Wireless transmitter this Friday to test out with the Pana's, hoping it works like a charm and eliminates the cable issue entirely. If not I will probably pick up the Sleek Audio SA6 to pair up with the W1 transmitter lol.
Awwww man, you suck...

Seriously, that is great...please please do report on how you find this wireless pairing. I play a lot of pool and I have already been considering this kind of setup. But the price for entry is kinda high for the system, a bit high for me to just try on my own [so, I will rely on the kind largesse of fine folks like you...]

Looking very much forward to your reactions!

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 AM

Can we KRAMER mod these earphones? What mods have you guys done so far, the dirty filters are really bugging me!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Audioph...For my part, I have done ZERO mods on my Panas and do not plan to. Only been playing musical replacement tips to get the best fit. Settling now on the Sony Hybrids but will still look around at Meelectrics and Super.Fi., etc....

My filters are pretty clean looking after a month+ of daily use, at least to my naked eye. I have a very fine soft and small brush which I use to gently sweep away any ear smegma.

While I am not interested in any kind of Kramer-like mods, please do give it a shot if possible and report back so others can benefit...

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM

So one of the drivers of my HJE crapped out a month ago, in a rather weird way. It performed fine above ~2kHz, but testing it with a sine sweep it showed that the lower the frequency, the quieter it got, in a linear manner. Swapping the left and right drivers showed that the cable was fine. Either something clogged the sound nozzle, or gawd knows what happened.

No worries, it was still under warranty, and Amazon UK replaced it quickly and without any questions asked. My new HJE arrived five days ago.

Now my old HJE were a gift from James444, and were well 'burned in' by him. Not to mention I never heard them with the original cheapo meshes in place. I got them modded by James444, with some foam stuffed down the nozzle, and that's how I liked them and immensely enjoyed their sound. For the review I wrote in the first post of this thread I did take the foam out in the name of science and journalism as well, and it was ok sounding too, just a bit too bright. But in general they sounded amazing to my ears with the foam in place.

Now these new HJE Amazon sent me are quite something different. They are as amazingly dynamic, fast, punchy, precise, and clear as I remember them to be - right up there with the best of them - but their frequency response is way off, from how I remember them. Right out of the box they have a really recessed midrange, and treble that is WAY too bright to be bearable.

I will of course use the same foam I used in my old pair if that doesn't change over time, but I find it curious that there is such a perceived difference between the two pairs of HJE... or maybe it's just the time between sending them in and getting the new ones? Nah, that can't be, even if the human auditory memory isn't that great. Either way, I will continue using them as-is for some time, just checking if they - or my brain - changes.

On my Rockboxed Clip+ I'm using a treble setting of -7dB for now, which makes them sound similar to how I remembered my old pair sounding flat, without any EQ. On my Winamp setup I tinkered a bit with a good graphic EQ, and this is what I found sounding good to my ears, for now:

Well, just a heads up on my current situation, and I will update my odyssey with these new HJE, if anyone's still interested.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM

^dfkt,
You posted a frequency response curve awhile back measured for your original hje 900s. Can you run the same test with the new pair and see if it confirms what your ear is telling you?

It would sure be interesting to find out. It will also be interesting to see if the response curve changes as the new set is burnt in.

If the curve doesn't eventually conform to the earlier test it would seem to suggest either a surprising variability within Panasonic's manufacturing process or a deliberate change in the design.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Sorry, can't do that. The measurements were done by an acquaintance in another country, I don't have access to his instruments anymore (especially his $3000 B&K measuring microphone). Believe me, I really want to know the difference as well.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

hmmmm....now of course i wonder about the original hje-900s. dfkt, the replacement set has the slightly recessed grill we spoke about? this doesn't change my enjoyment of the panas, but is slightly worrisome in terms of driver durability, especially since you listen at such low volumes....
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
... but is slightly worrisome in terms of driver durability, ...
Just don't feed the panas sine waves below ~2kHz and you'll be fine

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM

No worries Lestatar, maybe it's really just my ears that have to get used to them (after spending most time with the SM3 and IE8), or maybe they really change over time. Either way, I was used to them with the foam in the nozzle and just tried them 'naked' for a short time. They sound great (except the very forward treble), just different to how I remember them. I bet it's just a matter of time until they're back to normal.

I don't think volume levels have anything to do with the fact that one of mine got faulty... those things sometimes happen. That's what warranties are for.

This is how they look - I doubt they changed the housing or mesh between production runs:

Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yep pretty much exactly how mine look...so nice to have a camera with a functioning macro mode

thanks dfkt, wg
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And I was considered "crazy" for how bright the treble sounds. Bass boost and a slight drop in the treble and deez rock!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So they sound like Grados now?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Hey now, let's not get on the grado hate train.
You just have to remember that Grado headphones are a little like a very rich dessert -- think cheesecake. Very enjoyable and pleasant, a great experience; just not one you want to overindulge in as too much quickly becomes unpleasant. But as an occasional treat, they really are great.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
Hey now, let's not get on the grado hate train.
You just have to remember that Grado headphones are a little like a very rich dessert -- think cheesecake. Very enjoyable and pleasant, a great experience; just not one you want to overindulge in as too much quickly becomes unpleasant. But as an occasional treat, they really are great.
JxK, Marv was being humorous, as he loves his Grados.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 AM

@dftk Hey are your filters Chrome or Black? Now I'm worried after seeing your picture because mine (filters) are black and it shows any dust/particles that it collects.