android
Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
A little gratuitous/general tip on listening to the HJE - especially for people not used to quality phones, or for people new to the HJE.

Listen to the dynamic range, the punch, the attack speeds, the roomy decay of notes, the fast transient response, the tight control over the whole frequency range. That is what separates the HJE from cheapo phones. They may have the average V-shaped frequency response as many cheaper IEMs, but it's between the lines what makes the HJE special for that price - things you usually only find in pricier phones. It might take a while to appreciate those subtleties, contrary to the obvious stuff like bass, clarity, etc - but it's worth it trying to listen with different ears, in my opinion. Brains need to "burn in" to a fresh pair of phones.
I have to agree with this 100%. Unfortuatly, I just think that the music I listen to does not demand great instrument separation, if I listened to different tunes I think these would be sonically amazing; some breakdowns with clear vocals and little bass sounded just that.

I do have to say I was bloan away by the build quality of these, they felt like they'd last forever-something I was defiantly looking for. This was proven today when I blew one of my cheep sonys and it just squealed until I pulled the monitor out of it, I would NOT be bake to do this with the hje's.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pienose View Post
I blew one of my cheep sonys and it just squealed until I pulled the monitor out of it,
My theory never blow a cheap Sony.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 AM

How would you go about cleaning these Earbuds? Like the housing and the filter area.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioph1le View Post
How would you go about cleaning these Earbuds? Like the housing and the filter area.
You can read general points of cleaning iem's here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

WG: u da man! Thank you as always...invaluable....
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Reo vs hje900 ?

Has anyone done a comparison on these two?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 PM

For anyone who wants to buy these, they are only $79.99 on J&R currently.
Just ordered a pair
http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPHJE900/

Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4r3du View Post
For anyone who wants to buy these, they are only $79.99 on J&R currently.
Just ordered a pair
http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPHJE900/

Same here, and if you don't like them when you get them give them some time....

Last edited by Confispect; 10-18-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:13 PM

I've had my HJE900s for only 24 hours, but since I was asked in another sub-forum what my initial impressions are I thought I may as well answer.

Might be helpful for someone else considering an upgrade from more modest phones.

I'm still using my 4 year-old Rockboxed Sansa e280. Will be trying out a new Clip+ in a few days. My previous phones are the CX300, for warm weather, and KSC-75 ("Kramer" modified and reconfigured so the drivers are in my ear warmers), for cold. While these were considered excellent value phones when I got them nearly 4 years ago I realize the HJE900s are typically being compared with pricier products.

Initial impression of the HJE900 is "Wow". Notably clearer and distortion free relative to the CX300. While there is some noticeable decrease in bass, it is decidedly cleaner. Overall I'd say the sound of the HJE is closer to that of the over the ear KSC than to semi-IEM CX300. There is a similar sense of spaciousness and significantly more detail. I am hearing lyrics that I couldn't decipher before. Overall extremely clean and clear. More separation between instruments. Quicker attack and decay. Less resonance.

I have been listening mainly to live rock and folk, where I can compare what I hear through the phones to what I've actually heard in concert and what I hear with the same recordings through my living room audio system, which is mid-ranged price-wise but configured for a natural, accurate sound - once again compared to what I actually have heard in concert.

I do notice the sibilance that has been commented on by dfkt and others. I agree there is a slightly sparkly, unnatural quality. Not sure it's objectionable enough to require fixing. I'll see if I get used to it first.

My only complaint is with the fit and comfort. I have medium-small ear canals. Been using medium tips with the CX300s, but I find the medium tips that come with the HJEs, while they do provide a good seal and isolation (better than the CX300), probably because they are deeper in the ear canal, are not very comfortable. The small tips on the other hand are too loose and seal poorly.

Any recommendations on tips that would be similar in dimension to the Panasonic mediums, but more comfortable. Or slightly smaller (large-small) but seal better?

Edit: Regarding the tips. Now that they are softening (or waxing) up I find they are slipping out every 15 minutes or so. So ideally they should be more comfortable and also maintain their seal longer.

Further Edit: The medium tips have been slipping out more easily and so frequently that I switched to the large. I was able to cram them in far enough to get a seal, and they are staying put for now. Not very comfortable at all though. Think I'll try the V-Moda mediums from headphones128 on eBay. Looks like maybe my first assessment of what size works best was definitely wrong for these phones. It's a question of how far the phones should be inserted (smaller size) vs. whether they stay in place though not as deeply (larger). All this goes to show why it's probably not a good idea to bother writing up "first impressions". The phones still sound as good or better though. Bass is more pronounced with the seal of the larger tips.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 10-25-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
SNIPPED, KINDA LONG..

Try Sony hybrids, works perfect while providing good isolation.

Last edited by Confispect; 10-26-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Pennhaven, congrats on the Panas. They get better over time - trust me

While in HK the past 12 days, I have been daily alternating between the large VModa tips and large Sony Hybrids. I am now backtracking a bit from my original tip post on this thread a few pages back....I very much agree with Confispect. The isolation from the Sonys is good enough for me, but I am admittedly not so picky in this area as others may be.

I have found the VModa tips to be a good fit, as they are larger than the stock Pana tips [I gots me some huge ear canals it seems]. However, something about the VModa tip materials [at least on the ones I got] seem to make them kinda uncomfortable inside my ears over extended listening sessions.

For the last 48 hours I have exclusively been using the Sony Hybrids and am gonna stick with them moving forward on the Panas. The condom thin material of the tips feels great and I can wear them literally all day.

So my revised opinion on tips for the Panas for me from best to worst is:
Sony Hybrids
VModa tips
Stock Pana tips
Hippo VB tips

Does anyone know where I can get 1 size packages of the black Sony Hybrid tips? I only want large [possibly a couple of mediums as well] and all the retail packs I have seen include the useless for me small/xsmalls....

cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Pennhaven, congrats on the Panas. They get better over time - trust me

While in HK the past 12 days, I have been daily alternating between the large VModa tips and large Sony Hybrids. I am now backtracking a bit from my original tip post on this thread a few pages back....I very much agree with Confispect. The isolation from the Sonys is good enough for me, but I am admittedly not so picky in this area as others may be. Does anyone know where I can get 1 size packages of the black Sony Hybrid tips? I only want large [possibly a couple of mediums as well] and all the retail packs I have seen include the useless for me small/xsmalls....

The Sony Hybrids are splendid, there the only tips I use now, after trying others I settled on these, slightly lush, clear instrument separating feel, with twang. To my knowledge these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-B...8108228&sr=8-1 are the only ones and do not come in 'only large'.

Last edited by Confispect; 10-26-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 PM

@lestatar,

If you don't mind using "compatible" tips, you can order any combination of sizes from this eBay seller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/earbud-replace...-/160452004742. The quality is not bad at all unlike other fakes!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@esanthosh,

Nice price, but missing a set.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:50 PM

^ Yes! the smallest size is missing. I use only the medium size. I have the original tips from 1to3shop as well. Instead of ordering 2 more packs and using only one pair (each) out of them, lostearbuds worked out cheaper . With these 'compatible' tips, you are free to order 3 x Large or any such combination you require.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM

After reading through this thread, I just ordered these with the Sony Hybrid tips for $90. I'm hoping it was a good investment.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I have been daily alternating between the large VModa tips and large Sony Hybrids. I am now backtracking a bit from my original tip post on this thread a few pages back....I very much agree with Confispect.
I've got them both on order now. Thanks to you and many others for posting your observations. Just received my Clip+ today. So I'll be spending my free time getting to know it, RockBoxing, etc., while waiting for the tips to arrive.

Edit: Or maybe I'll be spending all my free time waiting while the Clip+ OEM firmware is "refreshing [my] media" from the micro sdhc card.

Further Edit: Sorry I know this is off topic, but just have to mention that I was able to install Rockbox (idroy's USB/meier patch build), a couple of themes, my FM presets, and also initialize the database in less time then it took the OEM firmware to refresh the media. Gotta say, I am already really loving the sound quality of this Clip+ with these phones! What a cool little player with Rockbox. And the large OEM IEM tips are even beginning to feel more comfortable.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 10-27-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM

I'll be getting the panas as a loaner this weekend. I look forward to trying them out, and comparing them to my M6. Now, if I could only get someone to loan me a PFE, I'd be able to do a 3-way mini review.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Ok a quick opinion from me on my pana's after about a month of ownership.
1. Sound is incredible. Resonance, sound stage, dynamics all superb.
2. Builds quality is excellent. Robust plug and good thick cord (only wish it was about 6 inches longer as it is a bit too short. When putting my DAP in my pocket, it tends to lead to #3)
3. Fit/seal is absolutely terrible with the included different tip options. I get a decent seal, then go for a jog, within 25 steps start losing the seal then constant resealing adjustment begins. Forget it if you are a heavy sweater. I would be very appreciative if someone with the same experiences could make some aftermarket tip suggestions. It also happens when simply walking around with them. I am able to reduce this by wrapping the cord over each ear, however this shortens the overall cord length which then pulls them out of the ear or tugs tightly as soon as I pocket my player.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 PM

^Consider purchasing the 10 tip set from the meelelec m11+. For the cord, try ordering the sleek sa6 cable. It's longer, thinner, lighter, and should allow for a deeper insertion.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace