android
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM

^Mmm...chocolate. Though if you feel like an extra kick, try some naga jolikia chocolate bars. For best results, turn on some red hot chili peppers for background music.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol...JxK, methinks you been hanging around dfkt too much...Though I am right with you guys...The spicier/hotter the better I say
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
^Mmm...chocolate. Though if you feel like an extra kick, try some naga jolikia chocolate bars. For best results, turn on some red hot chili peppers for background music.
Oh gosh. . . I like mildly spicy things but I doubt I'd like that.

I've been listening to my i7 -> these all day now and I'm quite enjoying them. They are so weird tho. . . I think I'll write a short review focused on the sound after I decide how good they really are. . .

P.S. I got loads of chocolate from home and now I can't stop eating it. I can't stop listening to music either I've been listening all day except for my classes, both are so addictive!!

Last edited by Satellite_6; 09-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ain't obsessions great?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLipster View Post
I tried like ear plug foam last night, did not work that well. Just trying different things for better isolation.

thanks
I tried this too, and very nearly got it working, but then ended up just using some double flanged tips from my Sennheiser CX400s. Doubtless, it's more effort than using a 'looser' kind of foam, but I actually think it would work quite nicely... But you have to be precise, and patient, and I copped out when I found a ready-made solution.

Method is to cut a disposable earplug down to the desired length, bearing in mind that there are tiny vents on the front face of the 'body' of the IEM, which if blocked seem to screw the sound up, so you'll probably want it shorter than you'd think. Then bore a hole through the middle of the ear plug, using something very thin - I used a small screwdriver.

Now, slowly slide the ear plug onto a series of progressively larger tapered pens, leaving it in place to stretch for at least half an hour each time. If you get impatient, you will rip it - trust me.

Once you've got it large enough (and the pen does need to be quite thick - these things have a surprising ability to spring almost back to their original size), you can slide it directly off the end of the pen and onto the inner part of the tip that slips over the nozzle. Then you can twist the tip plus ear plug onto the IEM - be warned though, you will almost certainly tear off the gauze covering the nozzle in the process.

Last edited by Confuseling; 09-20-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just ordered a set, I hope they can handle a little sweat when I work out. These suckers are tough, so I think I might give out before they do.

PS: peer pressure is a mofo!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

TDS! Had no idea you were interested! I woulda bought you a set at the 75USD price yesterday....What did you pay?

EDIT: I really think, for me, I am done now with IEMs...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post

EDIT: I really think, for me, I am done now with IEMs...
You have a lot! What about about of full sized open cans? Can't live without those IMO.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol, yeah, thanks Satellite, though my stuff is low-medium range, I like to think they are all quite great lol

as for fullsize cans? like drugs, I just say no... No reason really, except they do not fit my lifestyle.

<plus they would mess with my hair>

Of course, I know I am missing out on some great cans, but hey, it's what makes me happy now and floats my boat lol
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Received my 2 pair (one for the wife) last Friday and used them over the weekend. I must say that I'm pretty happy with the sound qualilty straight out of the box. If it gets even better after "burn-in" I'll be thrilled. Soundstage effects are quite good, the bass is good but not excessive, and the highs are, to me, fantastic without any EQ. Someone mentioned the mids being distant - not sure I can agree. They sound fine to me, but I admit I sometimes have trouble distinguishing the quality of the mids for some reason. Highs and lows are easier.

If I have any complaints at all, it's the tips and the cord "coupler." I'll try to get some of the tips recommended here as the comfort level of the ones included is not as good as I think it should be. I ended up using the tips that were on the phones when opened (whichever size those are) and the fit is just okay. Not sure I could wear these for more than a few hours without discomfort and/or aggravation. Perhaps they need to be broken in as well. I do think they isolate well, though. I used them on my motorcycle, and doing 70+ mph they were loud and clear despite the wind noise. The coupler (if that's what it's called) is virtually useless. It will not maintain its position once slid up. Not a deal-breaker for me.

Very happy with my purchase ($77x2) assuming I can find replacement tips that are more comfortable. Wife hasn't tried hers yet.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
as for fullsize cans? like drugs, I just say no... No reason really, except they do not fit my lifestyle.
And this is why, much as I may like visiting new york, I'll never live there. The 60 hour work week, with another 10 hours per week of commute time thrown in just isn't worth it.

lestatar, those free blackberries just aren't worth it.
It's time to get out of the corporate culture...or at least move to a regular city. I here Pittsburgh is nice, or maybe Houston. Just avoid Jersey...that place is dirty, no matter what locals might think.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, you refer to the sliding cord adjuster? Yeah, that thing seems kinda useless, though I don't use it myself.

FYI, it seems again the included tips with the Panas are like a size smaller than some from other companies. The default installed tips are the mediums [they looked that way to me]. I used the large. The Pana large is like medium-large from other silicone tips I have used.

Like I said, I have managed to get the Sony Hybrids on them, quite easily, and so far much better fit. But I plan to investigate the SuperFi tips as well - many folks rave about them so I need to see what all the fuss is about.

And I don't particularly believe in "burn-in", but like another member suggested, a "settling in" of the drivers. I left them on with a DAP overnight, playing music at like 50% louder than what I normally listen to last night. Today, they sounded even better than yesterday, but I cannot prove it. Perhaps I am simply falling in love with them, and my brain is getting used to their sound.

Definitely a great purchase IMO and well worth the cash.

Enjoy, both you and the wifey!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
And this is why, much as I may like visiting new york, I'll never live there. The 60 hour work week, with another 10 hours per week of commute time thrown in just isn't worth it.

lestatar, those free blackberries just aren't worth it.
It's time to get out of the corporate culture...or at least move to a regular city. I here Pittsburgh is nice, or maybe Houston. Just avoid Jersey...that place is dirty, no matter what locals might think.
roflmao...you make many good points my friend. Still, I personally wouldn't have it any other way, as a native NYCer. And my commute is normally 15 mins as I live in Manhattan....

Perhaps the freebie RIM stuff is not worth it, but man I tell ya - some of the gals certainly are. lol

And I never work more than 45-50 hours a week generally
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 PM

"the highs are, to me, fantastic without any EQ."

They sound pretty bad to me, even EQ'd.

"Someone mentioned the mids being distant - not sure I can agree. They sound fine to me, but I admit I sometimes have trouble distinguishing the quality of the mids for some reason. Highs and lows are easier."

That's me, the mids seem to have become a bit more forward with more listening. It took me a long time to realize it but I think the quality of the mids is really good, but they are very subtle mids which I find boring.

"If I have any complaints at all, it's the tips and the cord "coupler." The coupler (if that's what it's called) is virtually useless. It will not maintain its position once slid up. Not a deal-breaker for me."

Twist it!

I need better tips I think. . . stock ones are not that great.

Last edited by Satellite_6; 09-21-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
...SNIPPED..."If I have any complaints at all, it's the tips and the cord "coupler." The coupler (if that's what it's called) is virtually useless. It will not maintain its position once slid up. Not a deal-breaker for me."

Twist it!...SNIPPED...
well, i'll be Marvin The Martian's uncle...that works! Thanks man, though I still don't need to use it...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributing Editor

Turn the coupler/cord manager...whatever its called sideways. Give it a little twist and it will stay in place.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB57 View Post
The coupler (if that's what it's called) is virtually useless. It will not maintain its position once slid up.
What Kasrhp said - hold both cables and twist the "coupler" (that's actually a good word for it, IMO) 45 degrees - then it holds the cables tight. I found that out by trial and error, but they should really mention that "feature" somewhere on the packaging.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
well, i'll be Marvin The Martian's uncle...that works! Thanks man, though I still don't need to use it...
Uncle Les, send me some money!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Now that I have had mine for a few days I think they are great. I have been listening to classic with no EQ and they are definitly better than when I first got them. I was running them with the same eq that I run with the s4s. now that I have removed the EQ they deffinitly sound better.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Where would you buy a replacement cable from? And maybe I'm missing something but I can't find the product on the Panasonic website...