android
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM

Default I found my headphone nirvana for 20 bucks

I have always had a hard time finding headphones that I really like, no telling how many pairs I've bought and sold trying to find that perfect sound (perfect to me anyway). I listen to a lot of death metal and progressive rock and those types of music demand a lot. I like a very forward sound with a ton of bass, the kind with an impact, where you can practically feel the driver moving inside your ears but has to be fast and accurate. At the same time, slightly recessed midrange so that a distorted guitar can be heard well, but with a darker tone, and treble that picks up high registers but leaves them a little rolled off so as to not be clicky.

Anyway today I was in an FYE and they had these Sennheiser CX150 on sale. Marked down from $50 to $20. They would be worth every bit of $100 though. Amazing little set of earphones. All the impact, accuracy and detailed sound I wanted but still brings out the little details and a HUGE soundstage. I am seriously tempted to go buy 2 or 3 more pairs. I change out my headphones on an almost daily basis but no more. Can't say enough good things, if you see them they are a good buy even at full price.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Don't worry, eventually you'll find more nirvana in a different set of iem's or hp's. we all do,...and it's FUN!!! Enjoy your new iem's.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Don't go back to Head-Fi then. Someone there will tell you that something else is better, and it will all go downhill from there.....you'll be broke. Enjoy your new 'phones for a while, and later on, if you're curious about other stuff, that's fine...but no need to rush into it.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I have always had a hard time finding headphones that I really like, no telling how many pairs I've bought and sold trying to find that perfect sound (perfect to me anyway). I listen to a lot of death metal and progressive rock and those types of music demand a lot. I like a very forward sound with a ton of bass, the kind with an impact, where you can practically feel the driver moving inside your ears but has to be fast and accurate. At the same time, slightly recessed midrange so that a distorted guitar can be heard well, but with a darker tone, and treble that picks up high registers but leaves them a little rolled off so as to not be clicky. ... ...
Excellent description of V-shaped sound signature, while that's not my cup of tea we are all different. Nice to read you're in sound nirvana, great to be happy with your sound sig, enjoy!

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are some frugal people like me on head-fi who will suggest low priced alternatives. The Cx150 got good reviews on Amazon and is $26 there, so $20 is a good price. I haven't heard it personally. Before you buy too many of them though, imo you should try the JVC HA-FX40, and Panasonic RPHJE450 and HJE355. You might like those even better. The HAFX40 needs plenty of burn in though, so let it play slightly loud for a week, 24 hours a day, before listening to it.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Necrothread resurrection,... :-/

Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ooops. I didn't check the date on the posts. I thought it was a recent post. Oh well.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol!!! No big deal,...I didn't even post thee customary pic to signify the resurrection.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 AM

Heh, this is actually my budget IEM of choice right now...