android
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod1005 View Post
Should I just download the Sansa Firmware Updater?

Thanks
You have version 1, that's your call if you feel safer doing it like that. Personally I would put the lock switch on hold, connect to pc while holding down the center button and you'll have a msc connection. You can down load the latest firmware 1.01.35a (for v1 Clip) here, unzip the fw and drag to the root of the player (that would be the new drive letter that appears once you establish the msc connection). Then after that you can disconnect and don't touch any buttons till the firmware upgrade is done, you'll know by msg on screen during and it shuts off after. Then boot up and look for settings and change the usb mode.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Should I just download the Sansa Firmware Updater?

Thanks
You could try that. Or simply go to the link I provided earlier, download the firmware there and follow the instructions. It's very easy, in the end.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:04 PM

When I put the player on hold and hold down the center button, then connect to the USB plug, the player says, Connected - Writing. I do not see anywhere on my desktop that Windows recognizes it.

Also, I attempted to install the Sansa Updater, but, it will not proceed unless Windows recognizes it. The last option is to click finish after Windows recognizes.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Is the Clip01.01.35a okay? Should I use Winrar or 7 Zip to open?

Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just use the latest firmware for your player made available at the SanDisk forum (see my earlier link). And then whatever basic unzipping software you have (7zip should be fine).

Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM

When I put it on hold and hold down the center button then connect to clip and USB, shouldn't something show up in My Computer? Nothing does!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
When I put the player on hold and hold down the center button, then connect to the USB plug, the player says, Connected - Writing. I do not see anywhere on my desktop that Windows recognizes it. ...
Did you look in windows explorer under my computer to see a new drive letter? That's strange if you don't as this has always worked with all my v1's on xp, never tried on vista or others yet.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM

No new drive letter.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
No new drive letter.
That's strange, I guess you are gonna have to use the sansa updater.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
That's strange, I guess you are gonna have to use the sansa updater.
It will not completely install unless Windows recognizes Sansa. It gives me an option to Cancel or Finish. Clicking finish installation does nothing because Windows does recognize.

I tried different ports and that did not work. All that the clip [continuosly] says is Writing and Connected when I put it on hold, hold the center and connect the USB to the clip, and port.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What OS are you using?

Edit: Just had a thought, the drive might not be showing up under your computer because the drive letter is already associated or used by other device/s, but it still will show up under diskmgmt.msc console, so changing the drive letter to something that is not being used by any other device then the clip should show up.

Edit2: this should help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297694

Last edited by WalkGood; 07-14-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Well, I finally got the CD to install. The CD is for SanDisk Sansa Clip+. After installing it, the Rhapsody window appears. Where do I drag and drop mp3's?

Sorry for the trouble, but I own the dreaded iPod, which is much more simplistic for me. I am trying to put some mp3 music on the Sansa Clip+ for a friend. The past few days I did not have the CD for installation.

Also, the mp3 players screen is continuously saying, Connected - Writing. What does that mean?

I just need some help putting the music on the player. Do I drag and drop the files to the letter (E) drive? How do I find out what mp3's are currently own the player so that I can delete them before putting my own music on it?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm afraid that more confusion is ensuing. The CD you used is not used to transfer music, generally, to your Clip--it is only for using the Rhapsody music subscription service. Is that what you wanted?

Also, I thought that you had been unable to connect your Clip to your computer, so that the Clip shows as a drive on your computer. Are you saying that the Clip now appears, as the E drive, on your computer? If so, simply double-click on the E drive icon and the Clip drive/folder will open, and show you the music on the Clip, which you then can delete if you want. To put music on your Clip, simply drag and drop, or copy and paste, into the E drive folder (just like working with folders on your computer--exactly the same). In the end, much easier than using iTunes, as you have no new software to learn and just use what you already do with computer folders and files.

If the above still doesn't apply and work for you, what I wonder, at this point, is if it would benefit you to telephone SanDisk Customer Service and talk through with a rep., real-time, what you want and need to do and any complications with that. It's a free call, and they can walk you through what you need.

In the U.S.: 1-866-SANDISK (726-3475). And other SanDisk contact information: http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

And the connected/writing screen: that simply is showing you that your Clip is connected to your computer.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well, I finally got the CD to install. ...

... I just need some help putting the music on the player. Do I drag and drop the files to the letter (E) drive? How do I find out what mp3's are currently own the player so that I can delete them before putting my own music on it?
I see that Mikerman replied and I'm confused too o_O

You don't need that CD for anything, fact is that I threw mine away as I don't care to install rhapsody. If your clip finally showed up as "E" drive, I'd up the firmware to the newest .35a for your version, unplug let it upgrade and after set the mode to MSC. Plug clip in and drag & drop all your tunes to the new drive.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM

I always drag and drop music to the music folder on the clip. Even if putting it in the root (as suggested above) works, it's best to use the music folder to keep things tidy. Within the music folder you can create a sub folder structure, this is purely for the benefit of the user, the clip will organize and display based on embedded ID tags. The clip+ can display folder view and that may guide your choices if you intend to use that option.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
I always drag and drop music to the music folder ...
I do as well, that doesn't seem to be the problem he's having though ...

Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And so do I (keep all organized in folders--there's folder view here, after all!).