android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 07-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Why don't I see WAV file in my file list for a folder?

Why doesn't WAV file show up in the list of tracks presented within a folder.

At the moment I have only one such example, but I've been trying to get it to display (and thus be playable) in the file list for the folder... to learn what I have to do in order to make this happen.

It's simply not showing up, although it's definitely in the folder.

Naturally, there is no ID3 tag associated with a WAV file, so how is the file supposed to be accessible just by being present, if there is no ID3 data to index?

I have four files of essentially the same name (call it ABC), three of which are MP3 (and of course have ID3 tags) and 1 of which is WAV (and of course does not have ID3 tag). I've got the file names of the four files unique (with a suffix identifying what they really are) so it's not a duplicate file name problem. I've also got the track name inside the three ID3 tags for the three MP3 files to match the external file name, so again there's certainly no duplicate file name problem with the three MP3 files... and in fact they all show up just fine.

But the WAV file is "invisible".

The three MP3 files (which got indexed because they have ID3 tags) appear in the folder file name list. The WAV file does not.

What am I missing? What do I need to do to get the WAV file to be accessible somehow so that I can play it?

Am I wrong? Can you put an ID3 tag into a WAV file? I didn't think that was supported.

But if not, then how is a WAV file supposed to be handled by the J3 and available for play???

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

First, I would ask, why would you want to play gargantuan WAV files on your player anyways? Second, I think the answer is folder browsing.....you should be able to find it there.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
First, I would ask, why would you want to play gargantuan WAV files on your player anyways?
True enough.

However this particular folder had a WAV file in it (which was the source into my LAME encoding to produce the MP3), when I was experimenting with trying to decide on "best possible" encoding parameters, and to see if I could distinguish any difference in resulting sound. For convenience, I left all of the different results files in one place for convenient switching during playback.

So this one WAV file is still present in that folder.

Normally, my MP3 production process deletes the intermediate WAV file, but in this case I wanted so much to retain the "original" quality from the CD (for adding to a "mix tape" CD burned for my car) that I decided to keep it.

That's the history, though this is obviously just a very special case situation.

Quote:
Second, I think the answer is folder browsing.....you should be able to find it there.
Turns out you are right!!! I didn't even think to look to find it using that method, but you're 100% correct. And of course it makes sense that the item would not show up in the search categories produced by indexing the ID3 tag data, since there is none for a WAV file. I didn't think to go through "[FOLDERS]" or the browser itself.

So, there it is! And in fact the files in that presentation are arranged alphabetically, as one would expect for any presentation.

Thank you very much.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad I could help.