android
Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxis View Post
Try any phone with Windows previous phone operating systems ... Thats all you need right there ..
It was great at the time...they just let it die on the vine...wp7 looks pretty awesome...I would also consider android but the whole integration thing with zune, xbox games and a phone for wp7 has made me decide to wait...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
It was inevitable that sooner or later the Kin will die because of Windows Phone 7. Microsoft can't have fragmentation much in their mobile OS. By killing off Kin will give WP7 more focus which is a good thing. Focus on one thing and make it really good rather than have several mediocre platforms. The biggest problem with Kin was its pricing especially on the data plan.
+1
It made little sense to have a splintered device before the main attraction...I could see wp7 coming out and then releasing a version for the tweens with super cheap data plans to differentiate itself and less functionality...I just cannot understand how they could release it and not 2 months later discontinue it...
I re-read an article about the lady who was running the pink project...she seems like a total tool...

Would love to have a beer with Dave to discuss this but I fear this must be a topic he would not touch with a 1000 foot pole!!!!!

Politics...

Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Not much of a surprise. Requiring a $30/month data plan for a phone that was nothing more than a feature phone was just ridiculous.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 PM

Think about how furious the 37 people who bought a kin must feel now?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvtele View Post
Think about how furious the 37 people who bought a kin must feel now?
Actually 8,043, according to the KIN app on Facebook.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Microsoft will try to merge Kin OS(social media) with Wp7(business purpose, Zune & more) and that will be awesome kick ass phone.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
Would love to have a beer with Dave to discuss this but I fear this must be a topic he would not touch with a 1000 foot pole!!!!!

Politics...
Sigh... while I'd love to wax lyrical on this, it'll have to wait until I'm comfortably in my next job.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM

What Happened Dave did you get layedoff, Fired, or did you quit. Tell us what happened

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy Is Here View Post
What Happened Dave did you get layedoff, Fired, or did you quit. Tell us what happened
Um, I think what he's saying is he won't be able to discuss this matter for as long as he's a Microsoft employee...not that he lost his current job.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, here's where the blowback from this Kin fiasco starts to get relevant for potential WP7 customers (and, sidenote, Microsoft's role in pricing is addressed):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget

It seems that after doing some initial work on these phones based around Danger's proprietary Sidekick OS, Andy Lees -- the SVP of Microsoft's mobile division -- instructed everyone to go back to the drawing board and rebuild the OS based on Windows CE. It appears the company didn't want a project that wasn't directly connected to its Windows kernel. This move allegedly set the release of the devices back 18 months, during which time Redmond's carrier partner became increasingly frustrated with the delays. Apparently when it came time to actually bring the Kins to market, Big Red had soured on the deal altogether and was no longer planning to offer the bargain-basement pricing deals it first had tendered. The rest, as they say, is history -- though we don't think even great prices could have accounted for what was fundamentally a flawed product. Our source says that the fallout from this troubled partnership is that Microsoft has backed away from Verizon as a Windows Phone 7 launch partner, claiming that the first handsets you see won't be offered on the CDMA carrier -- rather that we should expect GSM partners to get first crack.
[Source here]

And wouldn't you know, I'm a Verizon devotee...

Well, as least there will be plenty of reviews out before I even get a chance to consider a Windows Phone...

Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm with you epithetless, the most discouraging thing I read in that article was the possibility that WP7 won't be available on Verizon at launch. Way to F that up, MS.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Sigh... while I'd love to wax lyrical on this, it'll have to wait until I'm comfortably in my next job.

Cheers, Dave.
hahahaha

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker41 View Post
I'm with you epithetless, the most discouraging thing I read in that article was the possibility that WP7 won't be available on Verizon at launch. Way to F that up, MS.
So, without offering ANY commentary on today's events or whether there is any truth to the Verizon comments... do remember that Verizon works on a different radio technology to pretty much the entire rest of the world (save Japan and Korea).

IF there is any delay - and Apple did in fact delay CDMA iPhones from hitting the market on their day 1 - consider that there might be an engineering reason.

Disclaimer: I actually have no idea whether there is truth in the claim about Verizon/WP7.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
... do remember that Verizon works on a different radio technology to pretty much the entire rest of the world (save Japan and Korea).
True. But when Verizon is pretty much your only option for someone like me, it doesn't really matter. I can't have an iPhone since there is no home territory for AT&T where I live. I had to wait a long time before any decent smartphones came along on Verizon and went with an Android phone. I want to go Windows Phone 7 when it comes out, but I am going to be so pissed if I can't get one on Verizon when it launches.

The AT&T commercials where they brag about the 90+% of people they cover only pisses me off. I don't care about 90% of the people, I care about 100% of me.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Buddy

Okay - understand, but to be fair your complaint is really with AT&T, Verizon and the technology they chose for wireless telephony, not Microsoft, Apple or anyone else - right?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM

No I think it is with Apple and Microsoft (If the latest news is true).

Apple chose to partner with AT&T only. There is enough Verizon demand that they could built a CDMA phone and made plenty of money. And if the latest story is correct, and I don't expect you to comment, then Microsoft is telling Verizon that you didn't work with us, now we aren't going to work with you.

People are tired of AT&T and want to go to Verizon. 160,000 Android phones are being activated everyday and I have to believe that a lot of those are happening on Verizon. There is no doubt that they are the carrier that you want to sell your phones through.

Here is a map of the area I live in. Yeah, it is kind of rural, but there is no AT&T here. Plenty of Verizon coverage and 4G coverage at that.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...n-US&FORM=BYLH

Oh, and if the data plan for the Kin would have been $10 a month or maybe even $15 with the phones costing $0 and $50 with contract, I am not sure you could have kept it in stock.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Buddy

I thnk you're ignoring the commercial realities of the situation AND confusing corporations for governments.

The role of a corporation is not to make sure everyone gets a share, or everyone has access to a product. the role of a corporation is to maximize profits for the shareholders. You better believe that Apple shipping iPhones on AT&T and not Verizon is yielding a better result for shareholders, than shipping on both (ie: an exclusive deal with AT&T is more lucrative than a non-exclusive deal with AT&T and Verizon).

Assuming that Verizon wanted the iPhone and had the opportunity to negotiate a deal (but didn't come to the table with a lucrative enough offer), it seems like your beef is with Verizon for not driving a good enough deal, rather than Apple for taking a weaker deal for them just so you can get an iPhone in your coverage area.

Not that I'm not sympathizing, but if it isn't profitable or strategic for Apple to sell iPhones via a carrier in your area, I'm not sure how that's Apple's fault. You could even argue misappropriation of shareholder funds/value if they did anything other than follow the path of maximum profitability...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Let us not forget that the rest of the world is a much larger potential market for MS than Verizon with CDMA...
Look at the volume apple is now getting with the rest of the world buying iphones...

Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 PM

I think we argue about this all night. Yes, I understand that businesses try to reach as many people while maximizing profits makes sense. I just don't want to be the odd one out (again).

I love the Zune, I love my win 7, the new Xbox is great, but I am getting tired of waiting for win phone 7. And then after the wait I might not be able to get one? That makes me angry (at someone, you just tell me who i should be mad at). :-)

Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Okay - understand, but to be fair your complaint is really with AT&T, Verizon and the technology they chose for wireless telephony, not Microsoft, Apple or anyone else - right?

Cheers, Dave.
If Microsoft did something to piss off Verizon and the result is no launch on Verizon (as the Engadget article suggested), then yeah I would blame Microsoft. That's what I was referring to. I can wait if I have to, but I don't want to