Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Default Kin is dead....hmmm

Lot's of politics I bet at MS...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/m...t-kin-is-dead/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Who honestly did not expect that?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Well, if it was a free phone with cheaper data plan, it would've probably done a little better. Even then, this product just seems like a waste of time and resources for MS.

I honestly wish they made the Zune HD into a phone. I still have hopes for this when they release WP7, I mean the form factor of the Zune HD is just perfect.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM

So they spent MILLIONS of advertising dollars on this, and the Zune HD (a product that's actually market-ready and awesome) got NOTHING. Sigh.

My advice to Microsoft? Don't build a Zune HD2. Give the Zune HD a nice software update. Then sell it at a price the undercuts/matches the iPod Nano (it's based on a nearly 2 year-old hardware platform. You would probably still make money). You'll sell millions.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:11 PM
ABI Founder

Good news is WM7 will get more help and attention now.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 PM

just feels like they're grasping at straws lately. trying to gain sales and market share where there are already established names and loyalties to compete with is going to take a device that stands above or at least equal to what's out there for the price. can't you get an iphone for the price of the kin? i mean, really, i hate itunes but that's a no brainer. i'm really interested to see how windows phone 7 does... if it doesn't take off, ouch

Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM

All I have to say is good luck Microsoft with Windows Phone 7. You better have a fantastic product there or you might lose.... oh wait, you've already lost in the mobile market. Well, maybe you'll gain it back then and be a competitor to Google and Apple once again.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM

Well, it means more WP7, which is good and dandy.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Even phone7 is going to have a hard time penetrating the market. Apple's phone gets stronger. Android is pulling to the left to pass. The Phone7 UI is certainly original, but doesn't appear to be as efficient as either of the other tap-on-an-icon UIs. Give me a decently large screen and put EVERYTHING I'll want to access on one screen view. Make it boot up instantly. Concentrate on eliminating taps/swipes/whatever to make using any major app as quick and simple as possible. JMHO

Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM

I think WP7 will end up in the dustbin, just like WebOS.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

TareG's comment on Engadget sums up my thoughts pretty well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TareG

A collective "I SAID IT FIRST" is echoing throughout the blogosphere. This thing was a massive fail on launch. Their "extensive research" seems to be a bit flawed.

I'd expect the same research mechanics to have gone into WP7, which will only succeed because it's MS's only option in the mobile space, unlike the Kins.
...although he seems a bit more optimistic than I am about WP7's prospects...

Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Research had tweeners play with the Kin phones. Of course they liked them. They weren't paying the monthly contract fee though. Verizon screwed up the success of them by charging more to own one than parents pay to own a great android smartphone. The sidekick/Kin should have been add-a-phones for $9.99 on a parent's contract.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Good news is WM7 will get more help and attention now.
Sorry ... but Ms track record with devices of this ilk does not inspire ... so regardless of whatever is thrown at it my impression is that it will end up as an also ran ... and im coming to the thinking that they deserve that status..

MS research and market strategy departments need a MAJOR revamp ...

Zune adoption = Fail
Kin =Fail

WP7 the jury is out on that but you can bet your bottom dollar that i WONT be getting one.. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me

Last edited by Maxis; 06-30-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Research had tweeners play with the Kin phones. Of course they liked them. They weren't paying the monthly contract fee though. Verizon screwed up the success of them by charging more to own one than parents pay to own a great android smartphone. The sidekick/Kin should have been add-a-phones for $9.99 on a parent's contract.
I wonder: Was Microsoft really powerless to broker better contract fees with Verizon, though?

No doubt there were some "really good reasons" Microsoft execs chose to shitcan their promotional darling so early in its impaired life cycle...I just hope those reasons end up compensating for the shroud of utter cluelessness behavior like this casts their movements in.

Last edited by epithetless; 06-30-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnor713 View Post
All I have to say is good luck Microsoft with Windows Phone 7. You better have a fantastic product there or you might lose.... oh wait, you've already lost in the mobile market. Well, maybe you'll gain it back then and be a competitor to Google and Apple once again.
The kin was born out of the old MS with their purchase of danger and was a complete screw-up...from what I read, the lady who took on the danger acquisition and controlled "pink" was pretty useless.

I actually think the kin is not a bad idea and the phones looked nice...there was work to do but it could have been done...problem was asking for smartphone data pricing for a basic featurephone that is meant for tweens...

Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I think WP7 will end up in the dustbin, just like WebOS.
If you think that you are crazy...MS is betting the farm, quite literally, in wp7...they will sink millions in that platform and will have the patience to wait it out for years....look what they did with the xbox for an idea how willing MS is to lose money in the short term for long term gain...

wp7 seems to be a very well thought out product with the full backing of the company...the kin seemed like it was a last ditch attempt to make something out of a lost acquisition (danger)

Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
+1
Could not agree more...

Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxis View Post
Sorry ... but Ms track record with devices of this ilk does not inspire ... so regardless of whatever is thrown at it my impression is that it will end up as an also ran ... and im coming to the thinking that they deserve that status..
Examples?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It was inevitable that sooner or later the Kin will die because of Windows Phone 7. Microsoft can't have fragmentation much in their mobile OS. By killing off Kin will give WP7 more focus which is a good thing. Focus on one thing and make it really good rather than have several mediocre platforms. The biggest problem with Kin was its pricing especially on the data plan.

BTW, Microsoft patent for a "dual display device" was approved today. The Courier lives???

Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
Examples?
Try any phone with Windows previous phone operating systems ... Thats all you need right there ..