android
Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 AM

Default Is video conversion necessary?

I've owned a Cowon 02 going on two years now. I am looking upgrade to a player that is easier to use on the go. My favorite feature of the 02 is that any xvid, wmv, and most 264 video files would play without any conversion needed. I see that the J3 supports most of the same video formats as the O2, but the screen resolution is only 480x272. Does this mean any file with a resolution above this will require converting. If so that is basically every video file I have. I love everything about this player, but I don't want to have to convert video. Am I going to be disappointed. I appreciate any replies to what may be a very beginner's question.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmangus View Post
I've owned a Cowon 02 going on two years now. I am looking upgrade to a player that is easier to use on the go. My favorite feature of the 02 is that any xvid, wmv, and most 264 video files would play without any conversion needed. I see that the J3 supports most of the same video formats as the O2, but the screen resolution is only 480x272. Does this mean any file with a resolution above this will require converting. If so that is basically every video file I have. I love everything about this player, but I don't want to have to convert video. Am I going to be disappointed. I appreciate any replies to what may be a very beginner's question.
It auto resizes to the display resolution of 480 x 272. I've tested files with resolution of 720 x nnn. If your file resolution is bigger than 720, it may not work--most likely will not work.

As for h264 files, most files you have will NOT work without conversion. The J3's support for h264 is VERY limited and VERY specific. You can recode any file with a specific profile setting that will work on the J3, but most files out there already encoded in h264 will most likely NOT work directly on the J3.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 PM

Thanks a bunch. I'm mostly worried about your typical xvid file that is 720Xnnn. I bought my sister a D2 a while back. It's great for music, but not ideal for quick and easy video. As soon as my amazon gift card comes in the mail, my J3 will be on its way.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmangus View Post
Thanks a bunch. I'm mostly worried about your typical xvid file that is 720Xnnn. I bought my sister a D2 a while back. It's great for music, but not ideal for quick and easy video. As soon as my amazon gift card comes in the mail, my J3 will be on its way.
Then it should work very well for you. The AMOLED screen is just beautiful. It brings new life to xvid/divx files. I have found very few--if any >720 x nnn--divx/xvid files which did not play on the J3.