android
Old 06-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Default Is the Zune HD for me?

Hi all,

Okay, I'm looking for a MP3 player to replace my Sansa Fuze(8Gb), and I stumbled upon the Zune HD. But I have a few questions before I get one;

A. How is the WiFi range? Does it compare to a iPod Touch? How about a Asus MyPal?

B. Does it get decent radio reception?

C. This is more of a question for DaveMac-MS but, will the device still be getting apps over the next couple years?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore View Post
Hi all,

Okay, I'm looking for a MP3 player to replace my Sansa Fuze(8Gb), and I stumbled upon the Zune HD. But I have a few questions before I get one;

A. How is the WiFi range? Does it compare to a iPod Touch? How about a Asus MyPal?

B. Does it get decent radio reception?

C. This is more of a question for DaveMac-MS but, will the device still be getting apps over the next couple years?

A:
The wifi range is said to be decent, similar to the touch (as for an Asus - that's a question I can't answer).

B: The radio reception is just as good as most FM radio receivers built into portable media players - it's all dependent on the headphones/iem's cable.

C: Asking Dave a question based on what will occur in the future, if you've read anything in these Zune forums before, is a bit of a waste. Your not going to get any real answer. I'll say that MS will give a few more apps, but nothing major - just stuff that will act as a time killer, and nothing that will compete w/the game & app lineup of the Touch.

I'd suggest just getting a Zune HD from a local seller, then giving it a week to see if it's right for you. If it is, then enjoy. If not, come on back and we'll see if we can find something that might be a match for your needs.

tds01

Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'd suggest just getting a Zune HD from a local seller, then giving it a week to see if it's right for you. If it is, then enjoy. If not, come on back and we'll see if we can find something that might be a match for your needs.

tds01
I agree with DarkSide; trying out a device is the best indicator towards whether one will like (or dislike) something.

No matter what anyone will tell you, your initial impressions will guide you the truest.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 PM

I really like my HD but I'd make a real slow decision on buying an HD if Apps make one of the top 3 questions you have about the device.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM

A. My internet always works just fine.B. I don't use the radio too much, but when I do use it, it seems to be great quality.C. DON'T BUY THE ZUNE HD FOR APPS!! Dave says that more apps are coming, but that is not the main focus for the zune HD. It has some quality apps, but don't expect a ton more to come. It all depends on the the MS bigwigs want to do.If you want a very high quality music/video player with internet and radio, the zune HD is probably the best device on the market. If you really care about apps, this is not the right product for you... yet.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM

I say download the software, see if you like that

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 PM

I would say the wifi range is pretty good....I have a 1600 sq ft house and I get 1 bar on opposite ends of the house. However I loose it about 100 feet or so away from the source. On the other hand I get 2-3bars on the opposite side of the house and I can go about two times as far b4 I loose contact with the router on my 1g touch...however Internet is always faster on my zune.

Radio works great...I got just as good reception with my HD as I did with my stand alone FM radio...so it is good...HD radio is great as well.

As for the apps,it is hard to say how long they will continue to make apps for this device.....technology is changing so fast these days that this hardware will be outdated in another year so any games created porbably won't work on the HD1.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 AM

I reckon that there will still be apps for quite a while. Regardless of what most of you think, it is still a Microsoft products, and Microsoft will not just drop a device that its basing its entire nex-gen phone range on. People new to Windows Phone 7 are going to be looking for its musically talented brother, and as such, I don't see MS just dropping it.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 AM

Based off of your questions, the Zune HD is not for you, buy a an ipod touch.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy62 View Post
Well q1 and q2 are true and q3 is debatable. So how does your answer make sense?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the answers, I'm running into Best Buy today to get one to try.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Nice

Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy62 View Post
iPod Touch doesn't have a radio, AFAIK, which, Mandalore asked about.

1) The wifi range is decent. Like another user mentioned, my home is about 1600 sq feet and I can use it easily on the other side of the house.

2) Radio reception is good, but it depends on the headphones. HD radio is a pretty nice draw in my opinion.

3) You can count on a few small apps here and there from MS, but they have indicated that this device won't go toe to toe with a Touch. It's strictly a PMP.

Recently, I purchased a 32GB HD, and I'm really liking it so far (I'm coming from a Zen Vision M). A slick player for my music needs.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I will admit, the FM tuner (HD or not) sounds quite good on the Zune HD. With the iPod touch there's an FM tuner adapter - the added cost of the FM tuner accessory isn't worth it, as the FM add-on tends to break quite easily. For this feature being a requirement the Zune is the choice to make.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 PM

Radio is good, most definitely on the Zune HD. But after frosty heidi and frank went off the air and got switched to am 790, i no longer have the need for radio.

Aside from that, the wifi range seems decent, but in terms of speed when loading pages I personally think the ipod touch trumps it. In fact I have the 1st gen ipod touch and it still loads faster or loads more pages than the zune Hd does. So if wifi and internet is important to you, go with the ipod touch.

Finally, the apps thing aint gonna happen. Just based off of the history of the Zune. There hasn't been much support for apps, and like JL3001 mentioned, the Zune HD is strictly a pmp, an oldschool pmp where does music, video, pictures, podcasts, really well but not much else.

On that note however, I am a proud Zune HD owner and user and is my #1 pmp of choice out of the couple I own, plus I absolutely love the zune software.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 PM

So Best Buy had a display model, but none in stock. But I got to mess around with it for a bit, and was really impressed with the radio and UI. I've got one more question, (at least I hope just one more). I've been reading about a screen flickering issue with the Zune HD, and was wondering how bad it is? Does it show up if you are watching a movie, or just in the web browser? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
So Best Buy had a display model, but none in stock. But I got to mess around with it for a bit, and was really impressed with the radio and UI. I've got one more question, (at least I hope just one more). I've been reading about a screen flickering issue with the Zune HD, and was wondering how bad it is? Does it show up if you are watching a movie, or just in the web browser? Thanks for taking the time to answer.
The flickering is only on really white backgrounds when data is being sent back and forth(wifi)...its really a non-issue, at least for me...

You will be really happy...I still get stares from people up here (was waiting today for an appointment and a couple of girls had iphones and they were staring at the fluid gui on my zune)...

Old 06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Buddy

Quote:
I'm curious Mandalore - which Best Buy did you go into, which capacity were you trying to purchase, and how long did they tell you it would be before they would have stock in?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Dave, the Best Buy in Cedar Rapids, IA, 16Gb, and no one could tell me when they would be in stock. I'm thinking of ordering one on Ebay.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Buddy

Thanks for the info - I'll look into it.

In the meantime, if you're going to order one from eBay (unless you're looking at a second hand one), you might want to try: http://www.zuneoriginals.net where you can customize one to your liking (various colours, etc...).

Otherwise, Amazon, Buy.com, etc... all have them.

Cheers, Dave.