android
Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Clip+: MSC mode and related info. What is this all about?

I plan on buying the 4 GB one later on. Right now, I have an older Sansa. It is only a half GB. I always do a lot of research when buying electronics. So, I am sold on this one. However, I am reading about this MSC mode and related info. What is this all about? Is it anything to worry about? The mp3 player that I have now works and has no trouble putting when I transfer songs to it. Plays fine and all, but I am ready for a new one.

Any feedback on the Clip + would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thread title (original 'Question About Sandisk Clip +') changed.
Thread moved with redirect to 'Sansa Clip / Clip+'.

---

There are two common transfer modes most MP3 players use, MSC and MTP, and the Clip supports both. No need to worry about file transfer.

MSC is the way any USB stick or external hard disk work, MTP is something Microsoft invented, and is harder to use.

Here's a search for you, this topic has been discussed about a thousand times: http://www.google.at/search?hl=en&sa...ed=0CBYQrQIwAA

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Use the MSC mode except if you need to use protected files. MSC treats the player like it is a flash drive. MTP treats the player like it is a virtual device, and supports protected files. With mtp often unexpected results or issues occur.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 AM
ABI Invaluable

Keep in mind that there’s an auto-detect option that will pick either msc or mtp for you depending on the OS you connect to but it can only cause issues. This is because if you load tunes via msc and then try to view via mtp you can not see them on the pc. So the best thing is once you decide on a mode you should switch to it in the settings rather than allowing the auto-detect mode select for you.

Edit: BTW this is all easy stuff to do, if you have questions feel free to ask for help, we don't charge much

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 06-24-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With the Clips, when your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode (set under the player's Settings), your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode. Likewise as to MTP mode. Regardless, all the files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.

A good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP: on the Auto setting (the third option), the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode.

Because MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer), some people prefer MSC mode. However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode--they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Little typo there, make one of those msc read mtp.
Walkgood is saying files loaded in one mode won't read in the other mode, although the clip itself will recognize and display both. In use as far as I can tell there is no way to determine which mode was used to load files without hooking up to the computer and even then it's a convoluted process. Be nice if Sansa made this a little easier, like on my cell phone I can use menu to tell if images are in internal or external memory.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
... Walkgood is saying files loaded in one mode won't read in the other mode ...
You can see them if you just switch modes on the Clip in either mode, but not when you connect to pc. I only mention this because so many members have posted questions about why they can not see their music when connected. I'll re-word it ...

Old 06-25-2010, 01:46 PM

I think that's what I said.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
I think that's what I said.
But I said it first