android
  #1  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
wyrdeau wyrdeau is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Default R0 - 2 Qs about "skip interval" and "play speed"

Hi, I'm particularly interested in buying the R0 having just downloaded the manual. I wonder if someone could help with a couple of questions?

I use skip interval a lot for language learning (iriver used to call this 'study mode') but it's not clear from the manual if the skip interval is adjustable or not. If not, what is the fixed skip interval? (10 seconds has been quoted on a couple of sites).

For language learning also, I'm quite excited by the possibility of slowing the play speed without affecting the pitch and as I've understood it, the R0 can do this as part of the DNSe 3.0 utility. Could someone please confirm this, and, if so, what degree of adjustment is possible?

Many thanks for any help on this...
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
lebellium's Avatar
lebellium lebellium is offline
Samsung Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,597
Default

Not usual questions, I like it

There is only a "study mode" on the U5 and U6
However on the R0 you can adjust the skip interval: 5s, 10s, 30s, 1min, 1 song

With DNSe 3.0 you can also choose play speed: normal, fast 1, 2 and 3, slow 1, 2 and 3.
There is no pitch variation but you must bear in mind sound quality gets worse (especially in level 2 or 3). That's probably fine for voice recordings but that's terrible on music.
__________________
I'm French^^ *GenerationMP3 Samsung Moderator*
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM
wyrdeau wyrdeau is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Not usual questions, I like it

There is only a "study mode" on the U5 and U6
However on the R0 you can adjust the skip interval: 5s, 10s, 30s, 1min, 1 song

With DNSe 3.0 you can also choose play speed: normal, fast 1, 2 and 3, slow 1, 2 and 3.
There is no pitch variation but you must bear in mind sound quality gets worse. That's probably fine for voice recordings but that's terrible on music.

Thanks lebellium for your reply.

I've also got the much older T9 which also offers skip interval (going down to a slightly lower 3s minumum) but 5s is fine. Am I right in assuming that this would operate just like the T9, i.e. in both play and pause, a single click on the left or right jumps the track back or forward by the selected interval? That's all I need.

In fact I'm curious now, because I wonder what 'study mode' on the U5 offers over and above this? (perhaps I should take a look at the manual!).

Regarding play speed; yes, I'd only use this for speech and I wouldn't expect to stretch the timing (make it slower) to anything beyond 75% - i.e. a 3 second passage at normal speed would last 4 seconds at the stretched speed.

Do you think one of the 3 slow settings would achieve approximately this degree of adjustment?

- thanks again for taking the time...

Last edited by wyrdeau; 11-29-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: ommision
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
lebellium's Avatar
lebellium lebellium is offline
Samsung Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdeau View Post
Thanks lebellium for your reply.

I've also got the much older T9 which also offers skip interval (going down to a slightly lower 3s minumum) but 5s is fine. Am I right in assuming that this would operate just like the T9, i.e. in both play and pause, a single click on the left or right jumps the track back or forward by the selected interval? That's all I need.
Yes, you're right assuming


Quote:
In fact I'm curious now, because I wonder what 'study mode' on the U5 offers over and above this? (perhaps I should take a look at the manual!).


That's the study mode on the U5. Basically that's just an optimised mode to control the play speed, the skip interval and the A-B function at the same time. But on the U5 there are only the DNSe 3.0 Core so there is a variation of pitch when you ajust the play speed. So it's a useless study mode...

Quote:
Regarding play speed; yes, I'd only use this for speech and I wouldn't expect to stretch the timing (make it slower) to anything beyond 75% - i.e. a 3 second passage at normal speed would last 4 seconds at the stretched speed.

Do you think one of the 3 slow settings would achieve approximately this degree of adjustment?

- thanks again for taking the time...
Slow 1: 3s passage in 3,7 seconds
Slow 2: - in 4 seconds
Slow 3: - in 4,2 seconds
But I benchmarked that with the R0 time bar and the P3's stopwatch, I'm not sure that's very accurate but well your test passed ^^
__________________
I'm French^^ *GenerationMP3 Samsung Moderator*
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 PM
wyrdeau wyrdeau is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Yes, you're right assuming


- that's good!




That's the study mode on the U5. Basically that's just an optimised mode to control the play speed, the skip interval and the A-B function at the same time. But on the U5 there are only the DNSe 3.0 Core so there is a variation of pitch when you ajust the play speed. So it's a useless study mode...

Slow 1: 3s passage in 3,7 seconds
Slow 2: - in 4 seconds
Slow 3: - in 4,2 seconds
But I benchmarked that with the R0 time bar and the P3's stopwatch, I'm not sure that's very accurate but well your test passed ^^
That's accurate enough! - I'm much obliged to you lebellium, and thanks for taking the trouble to show the pics of the U5 - I hope Samsung realise what an asset you are to their operation!

I'll be ordering the R0 tomorrow...
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM
wyrdeau wyrdeau is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post



That's the study mode on the U5. Basically that's just an optimised mode to control the play speed, the skip interval and the A-B function at the same time. But on the U5 there are only the DNSe 3.0 Core so there is a variation of pitch when you ajust the play speed. So it's a useless study mode...
..apologies for taking your time - just another thought...

As you say the pitch change on the U5 which accompanies the speed change renders it much less usable - I had considered getting the U5 but that would rule it out for me.

But coming back to the R0; can one also use the A-B function at the same time as the slow playback 1, 2 or 3 ?
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
lebellium's Avatar
lebellium lebellium is offline
Samsung Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdeau View Post
..apologies for taking your time - just another thought...

As you say the pitch change on the U5 which accompanies the speed change renders it much less usable - I had considered getting the U5 but that would rule it out for me.
Yes... and Samsung was lying in its communication. They were saying "For those who want to learn foreign languages, the feature Play & Learn allows you to adjust the play speed without changing the pitch."
So after noticing in my U5 review that was wrong I asked them to remove this sentence from their websites...
With the pitch changing, that's quite funny but that's not helpful to learn a foreign language...

Quote:
But coming back to the R0; can one also use the A-B function at the same time as the slow playback 1, 2 or 3 ?
Yes of course. Works perfectly, I just tried
There is one "option" button that allows you to change the play options (play mode, play speed, play interval) and there is a user button dedicated to the A-B function in music mode.

Quote:
I hope Samsung realise what an asset you are to their operation!
They do realise. Otherwise I would not own more than 10 Samsung DAPs. I don't personally have the money to buy them^^
__________________
I'm French^^ *GenerationMP3 Samsung Moderator*

Last edited by lebellium; 11-29-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
wyrdeau wyrdeau is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Yes... and Samsung was lying in its communication. They were saying "For those who want to learn foreign languages, the feature Play & Learn allows you to adjust the play speed without changing the pitch."
So after noticing in my U5 review that was wrong I asked them to remove this sentence from their websites...
With the pitch changing, that's quite funny but that's not helpful to learn a foreign language....
- absolutely, that's a major oversight on their part - good that you got it corrected...

Quote:
Yes of course. Works perfectly, I just tried
There is one "option" button that allows you to change the play options (play mode, play speed, play interval) and there is a user button dedicated to the A-B function in music mode.
brilliant! ...c'est la cerise sur le gāteau - merci mille fois de ton aide!!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Chris Jam Chris Jam is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdeau View Post
Hi, I'm particularly interested in buying the R0 having just downloaded the manual. I wonder if someone could help with a couple of questions?

I use skip interval a lot for language learning (iriver used to call this 'study mode') but it's not clear from the manual if the skip interval is adjustable or not. If not, what is the fixed skip interval? (10 seconds has been quoted on a couple of sites).

For language learning also, I'm quite excited by the possibility of slowing the play speed without affecting the pitch and as I've understood it, the R0 can do this as part of the DNSe 3.0 utility. Could someone please confirm this, and, if so, what degree of adjustment is possible?

Many thanks for any help on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post

Not usual questions, I like it

There is only a "study mode" on the U5 and U6
However on the R0 you can adjust the skip interval: 5s, 10s, 30s, 1min, 1 song

With DNSe 3.0 you can also choose play speed: normal, fast 1, 2 and 3, slow 1, 2 and 3.
There is no pitch variation but you must bear in mind sound quality gets worse (especially in level 2 or 3). That's probably fine for voice recordings but that's terrible on music.


I own a Samsung R0 (firmware 1.23) and I frankly don't recommend it if you plan to use it for language learning at slower speed. The fact is that while pitch does not change, DNSe adds some echo/reverb to the sound once you change speed, even if DNSe is set to Normal. The voice sounds unnatural and this is not good if you want to learn a language.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.