android
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Default Why do so many people want a youtube app?

hi, im a new poster here but have been reading these forums a long time. ive just noticed how many people want a youtube app, but im here to question the usability of that. i definitely wouldnt have much of a use for a youtube APP per say, but would definitely get more use out of flash integration. the only time i can see myself using youtube would be to open a link a friend sends me or something like that. however, if MS is bent on an app, id rather see a netflix app. i understand its all preferences, but im here to express mine. id use a netflix app much more than i would a youtube app. thoughts?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM

i'd rather a youtube app because i wouldnt need a subscription to use it and i can watch videos that i may have forgotten to add to my zune hd when im not around my pc to sync but near a wifi connection

Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM

A youtube app is more of a settlement. I want flash, period, for more than just youtube.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferhawke View Post
A youtube app is more of a settlement. I want flash, period, for more than just youtube.
I agree. But I do love the idea of a netflix app. I use the netflix streaming ability on my xbox 360 daily. But yes, I see the fact that it isn't a free service, therefore not as broad of an appeal as youtube would be as a drawback as well. Oh well, my personal view...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM

I also would have little use for YouTube....I could see a hulu app playable through the dock extremely useful. I am not a netflix user and probably won't be any time soon so that also does no appeal to me. But give me pandora or last.fm and I would be golden.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyKingJJ View Post
hi, im a new poster here but have been reading these forums a long time. ive just noticed how many people want a youtube app, but im here to question the usability of that. i definitely wouldnt have much of a use for a youtube APP per say, but would definitely get more use out of flash integration. the only time i can see myself using youtube would be to open a link a friend sends me or something like that. however, if MS is bent on an app, id rather see a netflix app. i understand its all preferences, but im here to express mine. id use a netflix app much more than i would a youtube app. thoughts?
What do you think has more viewers, between Netflix and Youtube? Youtube does, by far. Netflix, last time I checked has about 9m subscribers. Youtube has two billion views a day. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to make the app that has more demand? Personally, I too would rather have a Netflix app, but I could definitely understand them choosing Youtube over it if there were to actually make one.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 AM

Actually, since netflix uses silverlight and silverlight is by microsoft, it would make sense for a netflix app. I want flash for Justin.tv and hulu myself

Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferhawke View Post
Actually, since netflix uses silverlight and silverlight is by microsoft, it would make sense for a netflix app. I want flash for Justin.tv and hulu myself
A silverlight-based app for the Zune HD seems incredibly unlikely, given that the Zune HD doesn't support Silverlight (it uses XNA). Now, while WP7 does support Silverlight development, MS has stated that it will not support Silverlight within the browser, so we're still seeing some half-baked support for their own products here.

To answer the original question; many people want Youtube, many people don't. Youtube over wifi is the very definition of portable media, so for the ZuneHD to be the best PMP, some rudimentary Youtube support would make sense.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

One app doesn't mean you can't have other apps. Nothing wrong with wanting YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and AOL Video apps all at the same time. The point of wanting any video app is that the Zune HD has a great 16/9ish screen and videos from any source would look impressive on it.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
A silverlight-based app for the Zune HD seems incredibly unlikely, given that the Zune HD doesn't support Silverlight (it uses XNA). Now, while WP7 does support Silverlight development, MS has stated that it will not support Silverlight within the browser, so we're still seeing some half-baked support for their own products here.

To answer the original question; many people want Youtube, many people don't. Youtube over wifi is the very definition of portable media, so for the ZuneHD to be the best PMP, some rudimentary Youtube support would make sense.
Well said on all counts, medion. You are an asset to these forums.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Well said on all counts, medion. You are an asset to these forums.
Thanks, your check is in the mail.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Why do people want a Youtube app? I don't think they do, necessarily. More to the point, what they want is some kind of banner app that they can show their friends when they are showing off the Zune HD. That could be Youtube or Halo (isn't that what the kids yearn for these days?) or Pandora or Netflix or whatever. Youtube is just the obvious one, and of those I listed, probably the most accessible to the average person.

I seriously think that most people yelling for a Youtube app do so because of an inferiority complex. OMGZ THE I-POD TOUCH GETS YOUTUBE, WE NEED TO HAVE THAT TOO. People don't like having to be defensive about buying a Zune, and so the inferiority complex kicks in and they "need" a Youtube app which they won't really use that often. I would use it if it came out, and it would be cool, but I suspect that after the cool factor has worn off, it wouldn't actually be something I'd open up that often. Except, of course, to show off to people, lol.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I want a youtube app because some great content can be found there. Not because my Touch has one. Not because I show off my Zune HD to anyone.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I want a youtube app because some great content can be found there. Not because my Touch has one. Not because I show off my Zune HD to anyone.
Obviously there are people who do actually want it, like yourself, but I think the majority of the feeling on the part of the general public asking for it is based in the inferiority complex that Zune HD owners seem to have. I mean, look at the website we're on. It's called 'Anything But i-Pod,' lol. Obviously there is a bit of a complex here. Youtube just acts as a very convenient symbol for a larger discontent with the Zune's place in the portable media player universe. And that's the end of my amateur psychologist take.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
And in the same thread, there is a whole lotta CRAP on there (outnumbers the good stuff by a severe margin).

Since OpenZDK gets access to WiFi API's, wouldn't it be possible for an inventive dev to code a Youtube App?