android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

I love these kinds of "best thing ever" threads. Can't get enough of them, they're getting more amusing over the years.
__________________
Please don't PM me with questions that can be answered in a forum thread. Don't be an idiot.
My Gear and Reviews | My RMAA Tests | IRC: #anythingbutipod on Freenode | Last.fm | Album Art Exchange | Rockbox | Replaygain

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
steinburger1109's Avatar
steinburger1109 steinburger1109 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 2,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I love these kinds of "best thing ever" threads. Can't get enough of them, they're getting more amusing over the years.
Regrettably, Zune fanboys are getting just as bad as Apple fanboys... I suppose that's what's good for Zune though.

  #23  
Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,054
Default

I gave up on it, an I expected it to be the best thing next to sliced bread.



  #24  
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Stujoe Stujoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 228
Default

Although I really like my HD, my family only owns Zunes (5 of them in use, 7 total) for the Pass. Otherwise, I'd probably be just as happy with something else.

  #25  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I love these kinds of "best thing ever" threads. Can't get enough of them, they're getting more amusing over the years.
Be honest. You love the fact that over 90% of ABI's retards are consolidated under one subforum.

Makes me miserable though. I really do feel like I'm moderating an Apple forum.

  #26  
Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 AM
JoshRead's Avatar
JoshRead JoshRead is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 266
Default

I think it's a pretty great media player, and my favorite ever since it has a mix of media capabilities and strong UI. I could never find that medium. Most of the strong media capable PMPs lack severely for me in the UI department, and, at the same time, some of the players focus only on the UI (iPod products) and lack in the media capabilities. I've found a great player for me that does, however, misses the mark on its potential.

It has such fantastic hardware and UI, capable of some tremendous graphics (like PGR), but we don't see many games at all. MS claims they want to have the best media player they can, but they won't take into account applications that enrich the media experience (Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, etc.). Apps CAN be a part of having the best PMP, but they don't seem to understand that.

  #27  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 AM
KingAvarice KingAvarice is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 79
Default

I'll back up the 50 stations proposal. I live in the suburbs outside of New York City. I pick up 34 SD stations. 5-7 are unclear; the rest are decent to perfect. I couldn't pick up HD stations for all of them (I probably can inside the city). But it definitely hits over 50. I'm heading out to the city in a couple hours; I'll test again. But in some cities, 50-100 is a pretty good estimate.

  #28  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Maxis Maxis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 117
Default

Low Codec support ..

Low and closed app development

Pretty ridiculous to be on the third generation without a proper EQ huh ?

HD Radio and wireless barely gets used (personal usage preference)

Internet browser is limited in functionality which is highly annoying in itself

The only saving grace is the marketplace frankly.

No external play ff rw buttons. I dont buy that touchscreen argument... Its called ergonomics and efficiency in design... They had an oppurtunity to maintain the UI and add those buttons to the side... they failed..


Most importantly this player is being developed at the rate of molasses going uphill on a cold day.

Can we see a USEFUL app for once ?

As far as im concerned the Cowon S9/J3 offering is a better device for audio/video playback and functionality and the Iphone is the app master.

The zune appears to want to attempt these things and does them pretty half assed..in my opinion..

And before anyone rags on me .. yes ive owned a zune since the day it was released... and all generations since... Microsoft just always finds a way to underdevelop/undermarket the device. Which is the let down of most of the naysayers on here

  #29  
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Icky6 Icky6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
No external controls. The J3 has play/pause, Volume +/-, track fwd/back, and a power/hold/screen off button.
In my opinion not necessary

No microphone.
Would be cool but not important in the least.

No speaker.
Once again would be cool but not needed

Limited codec support.
I've heard this so many times its starting to sound silly. Mainly because the screen is to small to actually watch video on with any seriousness.

Zune Pass is great for a monthly fee. I don't need/want it.

Because you don't want or need something doesn't make it a negative.

Requires Zune software.

To me the best thing about the Zune is the Zune Software. It is quite simply the best music software available today. Anything you can name I have used and they don't hold a candle.

No user EQ. Again, Would be cool

No gapless playback.
Once again, heard so many times sounds silly now. this effects what maybe 1-2 % of what somebody may listen to. I've heard the arguments. Just don't see it as a negative. Let's call it an omission that would make a few happy.

No playback speed control. What?

No Bluetooth. Bluetooth really? For what?

I'll stop now. No need to run up the score. The HD's WiFi is great, but underutilized. Apps are nice. Boring after a few plays though. The OLED screen is no better than what the S9/J3/M1/SPINN offer, yet they'll all play a broader range of movie formats than the HD.

I'll stop now. Now that we are even. Hey fwiw you did not hate on the Zune Hd. You gave valid criticism based on your wants, needs, and what you see as possible based on other players. I would not be upset if Zune HD had all the things you mentioned.

Pawdog you do you realize that every one of your arguments can be countered in the exact same way you just did, right? You're just stating your own facking opinion.

You say Olley not wanting Zune Pass isn't valid since "just because you don't want it doesn't make it a negative." Then the very next line you say that the Zune software is the best music software available today, as if that is hard, indisputable fact.

And the speaker thing, you say "cool, but not needed." Says who? You? I've wished plenty of times that there was a speaker to show a game to my friends or whatever, and others here have pointed out that the sound quality itself is not so important as is the mere fact that we'd have sound at all.

Microsoft/Zune apologists just piss me off. I love how you end your smug post like you got even, even though your rebuttals are complete opinion to begin with. I respect that other people don't need apps and the other things mentioned, but don't act like people who think the HD should offer more for the money are stupid.

Last edited by Icky6; 06-22-2010 at 11:07 AM.

  #30  
Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

How good is the HD? It is simply relative. No feature it has is a negative. Yet if the feature is one I don't use or need then it is a zero to me. Features I use get a +1. Outstanding features like the music app on the HD get an extra point. FM radio gets a +1, but HD doesn't get it's own point because where I live there are no HD channels. Codecs and resolutions that are supported each get a +1. Music or videos of mine that don't need converting except to play on the HD are the reasons other players get more points for codecs and resolutions than the HD. Buttons that get used get a point. Apps I use get a point. A calc that doesn't do more than basics is a zero. Throw me a calculator with SqRt and memory and it'll get at least one.

There is no hate in the math. If the totals were even close I wouldn't mention them. Yet the J3 or S9 or P3 or M1 all get higher scores than the HD. The HD could easily be more useful if MS would throw it a few more useful apps. It won't ever grow buttons or a microSD slot, but disappoints me for coming up short on the useful apps front. Time might change that though. I'm not selling mine, so MS still has a chance to improve the HD's score (from me).

All these players score well. Most users probably don't use 1/2 their capabilities. It is no surprise to me that some love their Zunes. I've seen better players though, and it's that relative score that diminishes it to me. JMHO.

  #31  
Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
NSILMike NSILMike is offline
Sub-Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
How good is the HD? It is simply relative. No feature it has is a negative. Yet if the feature is one I don't use or need then it is a zero to me. Features I use get a +1. Outstanding features like the music app on the HD get an extra point. FM radio gets a +1, but HD doesn't get it's own point because where I live there are no HD channels. Codecs and resolutions that are supported each get a +1. Music or videos of mine that don't need converting except to play on the HD are the reasons other players get more points for codecs and resolutions than the HD. Buttons that get used get a point. Apps I use get a point. A calc that doesn't do more than basics is a zero. Throw me a calculator with SqRt and memory and it'll get at least one.

There is no hate in the math. If the totals were even close I wouldn't mention them. Yet the J3 or S9 or P3 or M1 all get higher scores than the HD. The HD could easily be more useful if MS would throw it a few more useful apps. It won't ever grow buttons or a microSD slot, but disappoints me for coming up short on the useful apps front. Time might change that though. I'm not selling mine, so MS still has a chance to improve the HD's score (from me).

All these players score well. Most users probably don't use 1/2 their capabilities. It is no surprise to me that some love their Zunes. I've seen better players though, and it's that relative score that diminishes it to me. JMHO.
It's less and less common to be somewhere (in the US...) with no local FM HD stations. They're a big positive if/when you get a couple of good ones. For instance, it's a way to get AM on Zune (a couple of local Boston stations carry their AM siblings on HD2 or 3.)
Buttons aren't so easy to rate just by presence or absence...you have to compare them to the touch UI capability. duplicating some of those would be useless. adding a volume rocker though, would make a lot of folks happy.
The MS calc app does have sq rt, and mem, and several more scientific functions. did you not tilt to see the advanced calc...?
But more codec support would be an improvement, and more apps will always make someone happier.

  #32  
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Icky6 Icky6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 244
Default

I find the touch UI to be mostly good, but I do wish they'd update the firmware so that a double click of the side button would pause or play. I can't reliably tap the very center of the screen without looking at it.

  #33  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,615
Default

Uh oh: iOS 4 just brought the iPod touch and iPhones the ability to edit and delete playlists directly on the device (with playlist removal presumably not obliterating all the song files the playlist referenced, thankyouverymuch), including "adding new tracks, removing tracks, or simply reordering tracks" (source here). Looks like Microsoft's media-centric (pseudo-)competitor just fell behind in another media-specific category...Get crackin' Zune Team -- this is your device's supposed specialty...
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined

  #34  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
NSILMike NSILMike is offline
Sub-Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Uh oh: iOS 4 just brought the iPod touch and iPhones the ability to edit and delete playlists directly on the device (with playlist removal presumably not obliterating all the song files the playlist referenced, thankyouverymuch), including "adding new tracks, removing tracks, or simply reordering tracks" (source here). Looks like Microsoft's media-centric (pseudo-)competitor just fell behind in another media-specific category...Get crackin' Zune Team -- this is your device's supposed specialty...
You can delete playlists from the HD, and you can create new playlists as well. What we can't do is reorder or remove selected tracks.

  #35  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
You can delete playlists from the HD, and you can create new playlists as well. What we can't do is reorder or remove selected tracks.
Correct. Editing the playlist is the key thing here. The lack of this (IMO) critical media-related functionality is a big flaw of the media-centric Zune HD (again, IMO).
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined

Last edited by epithetless; 06-22-2010 at 03:15 PM.

  #36  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM
NSILMike NSILMike is offline
Sub-Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Correct. Editing the playlist is the key thing here. The lack of this (IMO) critical media-related functionality is a big flaw of the media-centric Zune HD (again, IMO).
Interesting... a forum bug? I quote your post, and am not editing it...but your second question is missing...

Anyway, I just deleted two small playlists, and the content is still there. My sync mode is 'choose' and my sync groups are all playlists. I suppose it could depend on sync mode...but it wouldn't make sense to remove content if it's all, and manual (never used it...) generally does nothing but exactly what you tell it to do...

Update: no not a forum bug....you deleted the second part of your post.

  #37  
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Interesting... a forum bug? I quote your post, and am not editing it...but your second question is missing...

Anyway, I just deleted two small playlists, and the content is still there. My sync mode is 'choose' and my sync groups are all playlists. I suppose it could depend on sync mode...but it wouldn't make sense to remove content if it's all, and manual (never used it...) generally does nothing but exactly what you tell it to do...

Update: no not a forum bug....you deleted the second part of your post.
Sorry, I realized my mistake with that question (whether deleting playlists deletes the songs they contain) and removed it. What I was misremembering was that you can delete a song from within the playlist view, but only to remove it from your device. So, as you were saying previously, there is currently no "remove from playlist [only]" option in the HD firmware.
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined

  #38  
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Zuniq Zuniq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
1. a legit hd radio. crystal clear in my workplace and can hear at least 50-100 stations.

2. solid sound.

3. brilliant oled screen. i download hd videos and play em all the time. people are amazed at how solid the screen is and how well the videos look.

4. zune pass. nothing else like it out there. i get any song i want for 15 bucks a month. can sync wirelessly and zune pass works well with zune.

just wanted to post this for people who may be looking at one.

it doesnt have apps and i know thats why people complain.

but with apps they would have sacrificed somewhere else, maybe the hd radio. ill take the hd radio anyday over ipod and there 100,000 apps
HD radio is not so important for the majority of people...after all, most HD radio listeners can't tell the difference with cheap earphones and busy life. Maybe it's practical for extra programs but many people don't even have an hd broadcasting station in their area. "HD" is a marketing term by itself
and it's not something so important.

The fact is that specialized mp3 players are very close to an end...I have 2 Nokia express music phones that also have the same great quality and i tend to use them more because i have them every time with me and they can also do other everyday tasks like phone calling, messaging, emails some useful apps etc..Their battery is more than enough for listening to music and they can use microsd cards...They also work like usb devices, so, they don't need a specific program to sync them, just drag n drop or use any program you like.

Zune is unique for its interface, but it won't last more than 3-4 years as a hardware mp3 device in the market. Portable multidevices are the future and they will support Zune services, it will most probably end like a subscription service/software product or it will transform into a multidevice.

I really see it as a very limited version of a top notch WP7 device. New devices are here and they can do almost every task, so there is really no reason to carry an additional mp3 only player.

I can't see the reason of hating Zune HD, it's one of the most advanced mp3 players, but most of the people simply don't care about technology/quality but more about features. This is the reason they prefer the ipod touch and cheap earphones. Almost all of the people i have showed them my Zune HD (over 40 people), were amazed, but when i told them about the price, they stared at me and said "wow...it is expensive for an mp3 player"! Generally most of the people i see in buses etc, use cheap (30-50 euros mp3 players) or their mobiles. So, i could call Zune HD "a boutique product" of today but never really hate it...

  #39  
Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 AM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post

I really see it as a very limited version of a top notch WP7 device. New devices are here and they can do almost every task, so there is really no reason to carry an additional mp3 only player.

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on this. My wife uses her Iphone for everything, even her primary PMP. She even has an armband for it when running.

But given their battery life, and the fact that unlike her, I won't take calls while working out, I still have a desire for a dedicated DAP (not a PMP though). My Zune HD after this deployment will be replaced by an Android Phone as my primary PMP. I'll get something like a Sansa Clip + as my workout DAP.

I see the Zune HD as an in-between device that was ideal for me for this deployment, but it's not the kind of device that I would want when I get back, based on my evolving needs.

  #40  
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Makes me miserable though. I really do feel like I'm moderating an Apple forum.
It's better than trying to argue with Apple fanboys on Youtube (this one guy tried to say that OSX was open-source).

I chose the Zune HD because I loved the UI. That's it. Objectively, the Zune didn't really DO anything that put it over the iPod Touch (since I refuse to subscribe to the Zune Pass), so it was on a purely UI basis that I chose it. I'm not an audiophile, so I don't really notice the nuances of the different sounds of mp3 devices; I only like using good headphones (not earbuds, yuck) because they, IMO, affect the sound more than a player ever would.

That, and iTunes on Windows is the most sluggish piece of code I've ever seen. And the Zune player is actually quite good.

@Zuniq: Until smartphones can manage some days battery life with moderate use, I would never think of using a smartphone as a main media device. Too risky. Music runs down the battery relatively fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq
I can't see the reason of hating Zune HD, it's one of the most advanced mp3 players, but most of the people simply don't care about technology/quality but more about features.
Hahaha, you believe too much in the awareness of the 'common' (I say 'common' for a lack of a better term; I hate using labels like this) folk. I have a theory that US society (perhaps the world society as well) has become steeped in the iPod culture; people have become conditioned to looking to Apple first and foremost as a producer of quality technology that is at once reliable and stylish. This isn't purely based on fantasy, no. Apple DOES make reliable products that do look pretty cool (objective, I know). However, I do not believe in the type of corporate loyalty that some of the 'common' folk subscribe to.

Key example: I get looked at weird or get labeled as a 'nerd' by people who don't know me simply because I use a Zune. I get harassed by people saying, "APPLE IS TEH BEST, YOU CRAZY." It's really very annoying. Especially since they're delusional.

Last edited by weedalin; 06-25-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.