android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 AM

Default why do people hate on zune. by far the best player and heres why

1. a legit hd radio. crystal clear in my workplace and can hear at least 50-100 stations.

2. solid sound.

3. brilliant oled screen. i download hd videos and play em all the time. people are amazed at how solid the screen is and how well the videos look.

4. zune pass. nothing else like it out there. i get any song i want for 15 bucks a month. can sync wirelessly and zune pass works well with zune.

just wanted to post this for people who may be looking at one.

it doesnt have apps and i know thats why people complain.

but with apps they would have sacrificed somewhere else, maybe the hd radio. ill take the hd radio anyday over ipod and there 100,000 apps

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 AM

People are afraid of the unknown. The sheep of apple don't like anything unfamiliar to them.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 AM

I don't think most are hating on it...most reviews are pretty enamored by it...it's just not marketed at all and it doesn't have the one thing now that seems to be the end all to all of life...an app market

Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

People who are passionate about things will often, in their own way, strive to make it better. I'm guilty of this as well. As far as features goes, it easily outpaces the Samsung P3/M1, and the Cowon S9/J3. So why are these two players loved more than the Zune? It's a combination of things such as more user customizability, not locked in to specific software, mass storage mode, ect. MS, by offering wifi, a browser, and apps, implied that they would offer an experience more akin to the Ipod Touch than the Cowon S9 (and other mentioned PMPs). In this regard, they've failed, and ended up somewhere in between.

Basically, the other PMPs I mentioned only have the potential to be outstanding PMPs. The Zune HD had the potential to be more than even the Ipod Touch, and MS failed to capitalize. So yes, it's an amazing PMP, but it will never be what it could have been.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM

I'm perfectly happy with my device because it serves all my needs, as you mention. The features are amazing! But that does not mean it has no faults. There are still going to be bugs and various specific features that people are going to request. Apps are always going to be a request, because that's the kind of age we live in.

If I'm paying this much money (ZHD + Dock + Cables + Incipio Feather) I want my device to be pretty darn good. I don't complain too much. I'm grateful for what has already been done. It's a great device; just not "portable perfection."

Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvarice View Post
I'm perfectly happy with my device because it serves all my needs, as you mention. The features are amazing! But that does not mean it has no faults. There are still going to be bugs and various specific features that people are going to request. Apps are always going to be a request, because that's the kind of age we live in.

If I'm paying this much money (ZHD + Dock + Cables + Incipio Feather) I want my device to be pretty darn good. I don't complain too much. I'm grateful for what has already been done. It's a great device; just not "portable perfection."
you know what they say...nothing is perfect....however, i think MS did a pretty amazing job with this device. it combines the amazing MPM's like the cowon and samsung players, and the app maching of the ipod touch. you get the best of both worlds IMO, but you loose some of the features of each ( codec support, drag n drop, the apps) but you are getting great sound quality, an pretty decent internet browser, and some fairly addicting and nice FREE apps.

I knew what i was buying when i bought it...i knew there wasn't going to be thousands of apps, or the BEST sound quality, but knew it was going to be a VERY solid overall player that would suit my needs (at least 7 hours of music, and about 20 minutes of games a day, with an FM radio for my gym's TV out over FM thing they have going on).

Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zune HD has it's share of positives. It's the long list of negatives that bring out the complainer in me. I get to put my Zune HD right next to my Cowon J3 and (a borrowed) Samsung M1 and compare. There are a slew of features both have that the HD doesn't. Each has a few negatives too. So why do I hate on the Zune HD? First of all, I don't even know what "hate on" means. I'll just criticise it for you instead:

No external controls. The J3 has play/pause, Volume +/-, track fwd/back, and a power/hold/screen off button.
No microphone.
No speaker.
Limited codec support.
Zune Pass is great for a monthly fee. I don't need/want it.
Requires Zune software.
No user EQ.
No gapless playback.
No playback speed control.
No Bluetooth.

I'll stop now. No need to run up the score. The HD's WiFi is great, but underutilized. Apps are nice. Boring after a few plays though. The OLED screen is no better than what the S9/J3/M1/SPINN offer, yet they'll all play a broader range of movie formats than the HD.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm not a fanboy, but I really enjoy this player. People I show it to are impressed but all say the same thing: "I never heard of it". Nice marketing job.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 PM

actually it does have gapless, just not on zune pass DRM music from my experience, and im guessing its because it has to check the licensing everytime. Even my WMALossless rips have gapless and they are fairly large files.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
The Zune HD has it's share of positives. It's the long list of negatives that bring out the complainer in me. I get to put my Zune HD right next to my Cowon J3 and (a borrowed) Samsung M1 and compare. There are a slew of features both have that the HD doesn't. Each has a few negatives too. So why do I hate on the Zune HD? First of all, I don't even know what "hate on" means. I'll just criticise it for you instead:

No external controls. The J3 has play/pause, Volume +/-, track fwd/back, and a power/hold/screen off button.
No microphone.
No speaker.
Limited codec support.
Requires Zune software.
No user EQ.
No gapless playback.
No Bluetooth.

I'll stop now. No need to run up the score. The HD's WiFi is great, but underutilized. Apps are nice. Boring after a few plays though. The OLED screen is no better than what the S9/J3/M1/SPINN offer, yet they'll all play a broader range of movie formats than the HD.
Most of your points are personal preference, so are valid or invalid depending on individual preferences- making it hard to satisfy everyone.
Here's my counterpoint:

external controls... that's why it's a touch interface. iPod touch has power only external to the screen. buttons add size and cost, so I'll live without them- except switch the media button to a volume rocker.
no mic... for what purpose? if you need a mic, you'll need to say why, as in for what application?
no spkr... tiny speakers have terrible sound, and take up room. I suspect you also have a cell phone... makes more sense there, than here, from my perspective. You need to say why on this as well. I hope it's not for music...!
Zune Pass... definitely is worth or not worth it based on a person's 'appetite' for new or different music.
No gapless... no, it's bugged. It's there, and works for some formats/bit rates but not others.
playback speed control... that's gotta be a pretty narrow desire (as in few folks would even think they want it.)
No bluetooth... I'd rather not have to pay for that in $, size, and battery usage. It's not a high BW signal, so audio quality is an issue for some listeners. an external adapter might be a good solution.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
1. a legit hd radio. crystal clear in my workplace and can hear at least 50-100 stations.
Where do you live that you get 50 - 100 stations?! or am I doing something wrong with my Zune HD. I don't have nearly that many.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Only big cities get that many or places near big cities, I only get like 5 hd station 6-7 if im lucky but theres only few stations in my area, HD doesnt really refer to the quality either really, sounds pretty much the same as any other channel if u get good signal, its like Hybrid Digital or something like that

Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousjuice View Post
Where do you live that you get 50 - 100 stations?! or am I doing something wrong with my Zune HD. I don't have nearly that many.
Neither do I. Most of the HD stations that it does receive it does so rather poorly. I live pretty far out from the stations, though. Someone in St. Pete or Clearwater or even Tampa proper would most likely get pretty good reception.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:

No microphone.
No speaker.
Limited codec support.
Requires Zune software.
No user EQ.
No gapless playback.
No Bluetooth.

If that's how you feel why did you buy it in the first place? Usually I research a device to see if it does exactly what I am looking for. I didn't buy an ipod because I like the Zune pass concept. I like listening to a lot of different music and I don't want to pay for every single song that I like. For my money Zune is awesome for finding new music +10 DRM-free songs each month. The only issue is if what you want isn't available.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:49 PM

Whoa, hold it right there.
My only question is: You can get 50-100 station on your Zune HD!?
I live in San Mateo, CA, and can barely get 25 stations. ._.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdo7474 View Post
If that's how you feel why did you buy it in the first place?
It wasn't how I felt. It was some facts about the Zune HD. At the time I bought mine you couldn't buy one in any store. I bought one with art and text on the back after researching it as far as possible without being able to see/play with one in person. I bought it because owning one would be the best way to really study one. Same reason I've bought all the others I own.

I don't need my money back. The HD works. I posted here because there are several things other players do better, and as a counterpoint to the OP.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM

I realize that they are facts, but your post comes off as complaining and I think it's funny that you are complaining. You could see pictures of the Zune HD, yet you complain that it has no tactile buttons for next, pause etc. Pretty much everything in you list of complaints shouldn't have been a surprise to you, except for maybe user eq and speed control. I also realize other players have those options, but the HD doesn't and never claimed to. I had all the same facts as you when I bought it, I didn't want external buttons, I like the touch interface and I think the Zune UI works great. Were you expecting those features when you bought it or is it just your opinion that they make a better PMP experience? To defend the OP I love the ZuneHD it does everything it CLAIMS to do and does it very well IMO. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I agree with the OP I don't see why all the hate, or criticism if you will.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Without an available customizable EQ, and being shackled to the Zune software with no MSC or regular MTP mode available, it cannot possibly be the best player.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Cool

Quote:

In my opinion not necessary

No microphone.

Would be cool but not important in the least.

No speaker.

Once again would be cool but not needed

Limited codec support.

I've heard this so many times its starting to sound silly.

Because you don't want or need dosent make it a negative.

Requires Zune software.

To me the best thing about the Zune is the Zune Software. It is quite simply the best music software available today. Anything you can name I have used and they don't hold a candle.

No user EQ. Again, Would be cool
No gapless playback. Once again heard so many times sounds silly now.
No playback speed control. What?
No Bluetooth. Bluetooth really? For what?

In my opinion not necessary

No microphone.
Would be cool but not important in the least.

No speaker.
Once again would be cool but not needed

Limited codec support.
I've heard this so many times its starting to sound silly. Mainly because the screen is to small to actually watch video on with any seriousness.

Because you don't want or need something doesn't make it a negative.

Requires Zune software.

To me the best thing about the Zune is the Zune Software. It is quite simply the best music software available today. Anything you can name I have used and they don't hold a candle.

No user EQ. Again, Would be cool

No gapless playback.
Once again, heard so many times sounds silly now. this effects what maybe 1-2 % of what somebody may listen to. I've heard the arguments. Just don't see it as a negative. Let's call it an omission that would make a few happy.

No playback speed control. What?

No Bluetooth. Bluetooth really? For what?

I'll stop now. Now that we are even. Hey fwiw you did not hate on the Zune Hd. You gave valid criticism based on your wants, needs, and what you see as possible based on other players. I would not be upset if Zune HD had all the things you mentioned.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuked View Post
Only big cities get that many or places near big cities, I only get like 5 hd station 6-7 if im lucky but theres only few stations in my area, HD doesnt really refer to the quality either really, sounds pretty much the same as any other channel if u get good signal, its like Hybrid Digital or something like that
I'm in one of the top 10 US Radio markets and I get about a dozen or so stations. Maybe this guy is in NYC washing windows outside of the empire state building to get 100 radio stations

Closed Thread