android
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default AC wall to USB power adapter problems

I've decided recently that when I travel a USB wall charger would be more helpful than having to leave my laptop powered all night. So I went on amazon and found this one: <http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Universal-1000mAh-requires-charging/dp/B003PMKGEA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277052036&sr =8-5> and thought "great! A cheap solution to my dilemma!" However, it just came in the mail and I've found that if you try to use the Zune HD while it's plugged in, the screen seems to make random selections, as though you pressed somewhere you didn't, and when you do press something, it often doesn't press where you pressed or presses double. needless to say, I immediately unplugged it after I found this out, and thus haven't been able to test the media playback while it's plugged in. I also used it in three different outlets, all with the same result. Does anyone more tech savvy than me have a notion of what could be causing this? If so, is there something I could do to mitigate this, and could this cause permanent damage? I apologize for so many questions and such a long post, but the last question is does anyone have or have used a charger that worked? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-20-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm using the iPhone AC adapter with the same issue, although yours sounds worse than mine. It hasn't caused any damage; I just have stopped using the ZHD while charging it with the AC adapter.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvarice View Post
I'm using the iPhone AC adapter with the same issue, although yours sounds worse than mine. It hasn't caused any damage; I just have stopped using the ZHD while charging it with the AC adapter.
No, I haven't had any damage either, but I stopped using it in the off chance that it somehow may harm the device. Thanks for the reassurance.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

It calls itself a USB wall charger adapter... that suggests the output meets the USB standard (5V, 500mA.) I can't find the specs for it to verify though. It calls itself a 1000mAh charger though.. and that makes little sense. 1000mAh is a battery capacity spec...not a charger or adapter spec. I suppose it means it's meant for a 1000mAh battery...? Anyway, the output of the adapter has to be USB compliant and/or zune compatible to avoid possible damage, and I can't tell from that link.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The charger itself says 5.0V 1000mA. No h. So that must be it. Thanks for your help. If you don't mind one more question, because you seem to know more than I do on this subject, could that difference harm my Zune?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 AM

i dont have much problem with iphone charge when charging but only screen will flick(somewhat like signal interference) sometime and the device is quite hot(I think that is because my silicon case

Last edited by Here-I-Come; 06-22-2010 at 04:23 AM.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
The charger itself says 5.0V 1000mA. No h. So that must be it. Thanks for your help. If you don't mind one more question, because you seem to know more than I do on this subject, could that difference harm my Zune?
No- it'll be fine... but I only know this because my zune adapter supplies the same current (1000mA) Notice that this is twice the usb spec of 500mA, so be careful where else you use the adapter. the extra current may not be compatible with other devices.

Last edited by NSILMike; 06-22-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I've decided recently that when I travel a USB wall charger would be more helpful than having to leave my laptop powered all night. So I went on amazon and found this one: <http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Universal-1000mAh-requires-charging/dp/B003PMKGEA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277052036&sr =8-5> and thought "great! A cheap solution to my dilemma!" However, it just came in the mail and I've found that if you try to use the Zune HD while it's plugged in, the screen seems to make random selections, as though you pressed somewhere you didn't, and when you do press something, it often doesn't press where you pressed or presses double. needless to say, I immediately unplugged it after I found this out, and thus haven't been able to test the media playback while it's plugged in. I also used it in three different outlets, all with the same result. Does anyone more tech savvy than me have a notion of what could be causing this? If so, is there something I could do to mitigate this, and could this cause permanent damage? I apologize for so many questions and such a long post, but the last question is does anyone have or have used a charger that worked? Thanks in advance.
1. If you have the zune in a case while it's charging, try taking it out of the case. 2. If you are trying to use it while it's on a surface, try holding it in your hand while using it. Sometimes when I charge my zune (although not using the wall charger), the same thing happens to me. When I try one of these two methods, the problem goes away.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:54 PM

anyone know the specs on this charger?? I think its for a normal zune but I just want to make sure it would be fine for the HD also