android
Old 06-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
So you won't probably reach the maximum transfer speeds any SD card is capable of anyways, when you use the J3 to transfer files onto the card, instead of a dedicated higher-speed reader. No matter what speed class or real measured card speed. So it's best not to worry too much about the card/reader speeds in general - except one uses an aforementioned reader.

FWIW, I've got an SD card in my Cowon O2 that's capable of 15MB/s write speeds in my card reader, but it only goes up to 8MB/s when it's in the O2, making transfers about twice as lengthy - which adds up when you transfer a few gigabytes at once.
Yeah, I see what you mean. The bottleneck is the card reader/writer on the J3/O2 unit, so a faster card itself wouldn't help speed up the file transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
LOL...Predictably, Fry's is out of stock, with no in-store pickup option in NYC.

Frack! 4--count them 4--local Fry's all showed In-Stock-Pickup. I order 1 after another and all 4, one after another, come back with out of stock order cancellation emails. What a joke!

I didn't want to deal with the rebate hassle anyway. Now I won't have a choice to deal with the rebate hassle. :-)

Newegg has a deal for a Kingston 8GB Class 4 microsdhc for $13.99 and FREE shipping for the U.S. This one requires no rebates. It's obviously not as good of a deal as the $12.99 after $30 rebate 16GB card, but the pro is that one need not deal with rebates for this 8GB card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134717

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 AM

So I wanted to see some hard numbers for the speed of the card reader and card combo built into the J3. Here are my test results:

The really weird thing is that the reader and/or the card built into the J3 actually WRITES faster than it reads. That's the opposite of most other benchmark results. Most cards READ a lot faster than they write.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@NBC: cool info! am sure J3 owners everywhere are rejoicing. :-)

and thanks for the newegg info - tho i got too many 8gb cards already, still a pretty decent deal IMO.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-20-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
@NBC: cool info! am sure J3 owners everywhere are rejoicing. :-)

and thanks for the newegg info - tho i got too many 8gb cards already, still a pretty decent deal IMO.
In case you want to try testing your own J3, here is the ATTO benchmark program that I used. It's a very small program (~250k) and there's NOTHING to install. It's just one .exe that you run.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...k%20v2.46.html

I'd be curious to see if others get roughly the same numbers or something very different.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 AM

I ended up purchasing a SanDisk 16GB Class 2 microsdhc (Bulk Packaging) for $30.50 USD free shipping. Not the best deal ever, but I can live with that price.

Will run the benchmark test again on the card once I receive it. I'm interested to see if there's any difference in speed.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

NBC, that is a pretty decent price...I picked up same card, retail version recently in Hong Kong for almost exactly what you paid...

Works pretty great for me...Enjoy!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
NBC, that is a pretty decent price...I picked up same card, retail version recently in Hong Kong for almost exactly what you paid...

Works pretty great for me...Enjoy!
Yes it's a decent price but it gets lowered by Amazon daily by a few cents. :-) Competition is fierce. All merchants want to be highlighted as the one offering the lower price, even if it's just by a penny. The time from when I placed the card into my cart until when I actually placed the order, price dropped from 30.64 to 30.50. Price is still dropping. LOL

Have you tested your card from HK to ensure it's a real SanDisk? I read that there's a lot of fakes in China/HK.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
Yes it's a decent price but it gets lowered by Amazon daily by a few cents. :-) Competition is fierce. All merchants want to be highlighted as the one offering the lower price, even if it's just by a penny. The time from when I placed the card into my cart until when I actually placed the order, price dropped from 30.64 to 30.50. Price is still dropping. LOL

Have you tested your card from HK to ensure it's a real SanDisk? I read that there's a lot of fakes in China/HK.
lol...yeah, competition is good! Goooo Capitalism... lol

for sure there are a ton of fakes...place i got it from was one of the more reputable dealers in HK tech supermall...been there for years...not sure how to tell if real or not, but the retail package was identical to ones i have seen in USA...sealed, no typos, perfect condition so i took a chance for 29USD...

Like I said, been working perfectly for me since I got it in April. Also got a 16GB Sandisk flash drive for 23USD from the same guy as well.

Pretty sure these are genuine. If not, among best fakes I have ever seen for this stuff :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
lol...yeah, competition is good! Goooo Capitalism... lol

for sure there are a ton of fakes...place i got it from was one of the more reputable dealers in HK tech supermall...been there for years...not sure how to tell if real or not, but the retail package was identical to ones i have seen in USA...sealed, no typos, perfect condition so i took a chance for 29USD...

Like I said, been working perfectly for me since I got it in April. Also got a 16GB Sandisk flash drive for 23USD from the same guy as well.

Pretty sure these are genuine. If not, among best fakes I have ever seen for this stuff :-)
That it works is all that really matters. I just meant if you've tested the entire 16 gigs--as in filling up the entire 16gbs to see if it really is 16gb--to see if it works. I've been reading about fake 16GB cards which turned out to be really only 2gb cards. If it's working for you, great!

Here is--supposedly--one way to tell a fake from a genuine one Sandisk

Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Be very careful buying a 32GB micro SD card from ebay. There's a network of sellers dumping 2GB cards hacked to look like they have 32GB, which is fine until you try to put data on them.

Check out http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com for more information on these fakes.

Last edited by happyguy; 06-22-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 AM

My SanDisk 16gb arrived today. Holy frack! I had no idea microsd's were THIS small. I've not seen one in person before. These suckers are TINY. They're about the size--perhaps even smaller than--a contact lens.

Am running some tests on it right now to make sure all 16GB are real, that this isn't just a 2GB card with 16GB painted on it.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats NBC...Tiny, indeed!

Ain't technology great? Hope it is genuine! And, yes, all mine are the real deal. :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
My SanDisk 16gb arrived today. Holy frack! I had no idea microsd's were THIS small. I've not seen one in person before. These suckers are TINY. They're about the size--perhaps even smaller than--a contact lens.

Am running some tests on it right now to make sure all 16GB are real, that this isn't just a 2GB card with 16GB painted on it.
Beware....if it pops out, it will fly away and be hard to find. I spent 20 minutes crawling around looking for mine once.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Beware....if it pops out, it will fly away and be hard to find. I spent 20 minutes crawling around looking for mine once.
Yeah! I hear ya! I had the same thought when I first saw how small it was. I was like: WTF, it would be so easy to lose this.

Here's the result of the ATTO benchmark that I ran for the 16gb Sandisk

This is through the J3, NOT through an independent card reader.

The read speed is roughly the same as the internal card but the write speed is slower by about 1.3-1.4 mb. That kind of sucks for me as I do a lot more copying to the card from the computer than I do copying from the card to my computer. Oh well. $30.50 for an additional 16GB is OK by me. :-)

Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Congrats NBC...Tiny, indeed!

Ain't technology great? Hope it is genuine! And, yes, all mine are the real deal. :-)
Thanks lestatar. BTW, if you have some free time, hows about downloading that ATTO benchmark program and testing out your card with your J3. I'd like to see if you're getting about the same speed--both for internal and external memory--as I am.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sure thing...happy to check it out...Prolly on weekend tho...Work on WinXP Pro SP2 i assume?

EDIT:

WAIT! I don't have a J3 - at least not yet. Def looking at it tho...
Test would be irrelevant then I assume, though I can do it via card reader if you wish....
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-24-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Sure thing...happy to check it out...Prolly on weekend tho...Work on WinXP Pro SP2 i assume?

EDIT:

WAIT! I don't have a J3 - at least not yet. Def looking at it tho...
Test would be irrelevant then I assume, though I can do it via card reader if you wish....
Yes, should work on WinXP Pro SP2 (I have SP3 and it works).

Oh, what do you have then? Lets see the benchmark for your setup then. Just as a comparison to the J3.

And a test for the Sandisk 16gb class 2 card from an external reader would be most useful to compared to.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Only DAP I have with microSDHC support is the Fuze...both original FW and recently, Rockboxed! :-)

Happy to participate and provide some benchmarks - I will look at the app and prolly get a chance to give it a whirl over the weekend.

However, if I somehow blow up my Fuze while doing this I am gonna come looking for you...

Where exactly are you located again?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"Need Balance Control", you might want to format the card with the official SD Formatter app, it might give better read/write speeds. But I guess inside the J3's slot it won't make much difference.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
"Need Balance Control", you might want to format the card with the official SD Formatter app, it might give better read/write speeds. But I guess inside the J3's slot it won't make much difference.
Thanks for the suggestion. It won't hurt to try.