android
Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 AM

Default Where did you buy your 32gb microsdhc card?

I looked around on Amazon and they don't even have 32gb microsdhc cards for sale. For those of you who've purchased one, where did you buy yours and how much did it cost? What class was your card? 2, 4, or 6? Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 AM

as far as i know there is only one manufacturer at moment who (who is able to ) produces 32gb msd's: sandisk. sandisk only sells them through their website, for now. there are some shops in germany, where i live, listing them available, but i guess that's not true, some claim they're in stock, while others say they'll be getting shipment next week.

edit: oh and btw: the sandisk shop is horrendously overpriced. shop prices start at around 100 € (125$?), sandisk charges 152€ in germany and 199 on the global(/american?) site.

Last edited by deadohiosky; 06-18-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
I looked around on Amazon and they don't even have 32gb microsdhc cards for sale. For those of you who've purchased one, where did you buy yours and how much did it cost? What class was your card? 2, 4, or 6? Thanks.
As far as my knowledge goes...

32gb cards are still pretty new, so they aren't regularly available in many places. You can get a sandisk 32gb card for $150 here: http://www.jr.com/sandisk/pe/SAD_SDSDQ032GA1/ (it is still only pre-order though)

I use a class 2 16gb card in my J3 and it works flawless with music and video.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM

I've read posts of at least two j3 users who claims to have 32gb cards installed. I hope they post and disclose where they got their card.

Is Class 2 fast enough for you spectre? I thought everyone would be using Class 6.

Anyone know the class rating of the built in flash memory of the J3?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I've read posts of at least two j3 users who claims to have 32gb cards installed. I hope they post and disclose where they got their card.

Is Class 2 fast enough for you spectre? I thought everyone would be using Class 6.

Anyone know the class rating of the built in flash memory of the J3?
as far as playback is concerned there is no trouble with a class 2 card. I can watch a 1.87GB HD movie with no troubles at all. Music plays just as good from the card as it does from the player. There are no noticeable differences.

The only place you might notice a difference would be in transferring files to the card itself. Even then, I can't detect any difference between the device memory and the card. However, I've never bothered to do any kind of speed test because I don't need to.

In short a class 2 card works just fine.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 AM

yeah, i read some of this stuff too. one guy at iaudiophile claims to have a 32gb card as well and i believe he has bought some chinese kirf junk because i think he had some problems with it, too.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM

I bought mine here (But in Geneva, Switzerland) :

http://www.prodimex.ch/pInfos.aspx?CODE=B27D11

142,00 CHF = 103,441 EUR

1 CHF = 0,728457 EUR
1 EUR = 1,37276 CHF

Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anentropik View Post
I bought mine here (But in Geneva, Switzerland) :

http://www.prodimex.ch/pInfos.aspx?CODE=B27D11

142,00 CHF = 103,441 EUR

1 CHF = 0,728457 EUR
1 EUR = 1,37276 CHF
Thanks for posting. The link shows the scandisc card is class 2. Wow. that's pretty expensive for a class 2 card. I wonder how much a class 6 32gb card would be--do they even make a class 6 32gb microsdhc?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Not currently is the only 32Gb Micro SDHC card on the market ... but effectively it's slow

Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 PM

If you buy a 32GB card at the moment, you're being played for a sucker. You have to wait until the prices come down, until they're less of a ripoff, at the additional "bonus" of snail-like transfer speeds (speaking of dedicated card-readers, inside the J3 it won't matter).

Old 06-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If you buy a 32GB card at the moment, you're being played for a sucker. You have to wait until the prices come down, until they're less of a ripoff, at the additional "bonus" of snail-like transfer speeds (speaking of dedicated card-readers, inside the J3 it won't matter).
dfkt, I don't quite understand the bold part. Are you saying that it doesn't matter what speed/class the flash memory built into the player is? That seems hard for me to accept. There must be a rating/class/speed for the built in 8/16/32GB flash memory on the unit.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The internal flash is usually slow, I believe.....no faster than a class 2. Some players, like the low range Sony's I have, the internal flash is I think even slower than class 2.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:03 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Ignore the class rating. Higher classes (espcially class 6) on microSDHC tend to be less reliable, leading to corrupt transfers, or shortenend life. Also, Class 6 (or higher) is generally something you need for high end cameras or HD camcorders due to the transfer rate.

For meda playback, Class 2 is more than adequate. And to clarify what DFKT said, when transferring files, if you're using a card reader, you'll notice a difference between class 2 and class 6. When using the card inside the J3, you won't notice a difference due to the J3's transfer speed being too low to matter (and it's the same for most mobile products).

In summary, avoid the class 6 cards. They're overpriced, less stable, and are intended for professional recording. You'll get no benefit from using one over a class 2 in a PMP.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Ignore the class rating. Higher classes (espcially class 6) on microSDHC tend to be less reliable, leading to corrupt transfers, or shortenend life. Also, Class 6 (or higher) is generally something you need for high end cameras or HD camcorders due to the transfer rate.

For meda playback, Class 2 is more than adequate. And to clarify what DFKT said, when transferring files, if you're using a card reader, you'll notice a difference between class 2 and class 6. When using the card inside the J3, you won't notice a difference due to the J3's transfer speed being too low to matter (and it's the same for most mobile products).

In summary, avoid the class 6 cards. They're overpriced, less stable, and are intended for professional recording. You'll get no benefit from using one over a class 2 in a PMP.
Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense. My concern was based mostly on the fact that I'm using my J3 as a video player a lot more than I thought I would and have been transferring a lot of movies between my computer and the J3. The movies are between 175mb - 1.4GB, so transfer speed does matter to me. But if the bottleneck is on the card slot built into the J3 unit, I see what you mean when you say having a faster speed card won't benefit.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense. My concern was based mostly on the fact that I'm using my J3 as a video player a lot more than I thought I would and have been transferring a lot of movies between my computer and the J3. The movies are between 175mb - 1.4GB, so transfer speed does matter to me. But if the bottleneck is on the card slot built into the J3 unit, I see what you mean when you say having a faster speed card won't benefit.
I know where you're coming from. When I was looking for a 16GB MicroSDHC for my phone, my first thought was to get a class 6 or higher. After seeing the price difference, and realizing that there was absolutely no benefit to it (in addition to the aformentioned sability issues), my e-peen quickly went limp, and I settled for the class 2 at less than half the price.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:09 AM

I don't know if this is allowed--if not, please delete Mods/Admin--but Fry's is having a sale on Polaroid/PNY 16GB Class 2 microsdhc:
http://www.frys.com/product/5885833

There is a rebate involved. $42.99 -$30 rebate. $1.99 for shipping or free local pickup if you have a Fry's near you. I'm going to give it a try. The price is awesome if I end up receiving the $30 rebate. If the rebate processor screws me and denies/rejects my submission then I'm going to be pretty pissed off paying $42.99 + tax for this card.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 AM

The Sandisk 32 Gb Class 2 have a 13.5Mb/s speed rating in reading (computer cards reader).
Far enought for everything, don't bother you with class type.

Last edited by KromaXamorK; 06-19-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
dfkt, I don't quite understand the bold part. Are you saying that it doesn't matter what speed/class the flash memory built into the player is? That seems hard for me to accept. There must be a rating/class/speed for the built in 8/16/32GB flash memory on the unit.
I meant the SD slot in the J3 acts just like any other card reader when the J3 is connected to a PC. And these slots in MP3 players are usually rather slow compared to dedicated card readers (such as this one, for example). So you won't probably reach the maximum transfer speeds any SD card is capable of anyways, when you use the J3 to transfer files onto the card, instead of a dedicated higher-speed reader. No matter what speed class or real measured card speed. So it's best not to worry too much about the card/reader speeds in general - except one uses an aforementioned reader.

FWIW, I've got an SD card in my Cowon O2 that's capable of 15MB/s write speeds in my card reader, but it only goes up to 8MB/s when it's in the O2, making transfers about twice as lengthy - which adds up when you transfer a few gigabytes at once.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

As for reading from a class 2 card, class 2 means you can use files with a bitrate of up to 16mbps before you'd run into issues. A 2 hour Blu Ray rip would have to be 14.4GB to have that bitrate, so it's very unlikely you'll have any issues with the read speed of a class 2.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I don't know if this is allowed--if not, please delete Mods/Admin--but Fry's is having a sale on Polaroid/PNY 16GB Class 2 microsdhc:
http://www.frys.com/product/5885833

There is a rebate involved. $42.99 -$30 rebate. $1.99 for shipping or free local pickup if you have a Fry's near you. I'm going to give it a try. The price is awesome if I end up receiving the $30 rebate. If the rebate processor screws me and denies/rejects my submission then I'm going to be pretty pissed off paying $42.99 + tax for this card.
LOL...Predictably, Fry's is out of stock, with no in-store pickup option in NYC.

Hell, I am with you - not a fan of Polaroid cards [had issues with a couple in past] but for 12.99 USD for 16GB, I was gonna give it a shot.

Thanks for the link...I will ping the site periodically to see if I can catch em....

And echoing all the saner voices here:
- 32GB cards at present are indeed waaaaaay overpriced [anyone who has been involved in technology for more than a couple of years knows and understands this as axiomatic for new products];
- class 2 is indeed more than sufficient for consumer-level use. All my own microSDHC cards are class 2 and have been rock solid and transfer just fine. The glamour/claimed speed benefits of class 6, etc cards is, IMO, irrelevant to everyday consumers.

PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies