android
Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 AM

Default YHA Linux PC wiped my X1060!

Hi guys

I've posted/read up/researched and nobody has been able to help me with an error with my Sony player. I'm away travelling and really need help to recover my media, esp backed up pictures of Australia.

Upon using a YHA Linux machine in NZ, my X decided to partially format itself and all my music, videos and pictures (5gb of Australia) are no longer accessible. Everytime the unit is disconnected from a PC I get:

The device was not formatted correctly, please re-format via settings.

Obviously I never wanted to format in the first place, but now trying to recover somehow. I was pointed towards active @ partition recovery, but it and others do not recognise USB/flash drives as drives. All hardware such as C, D, DVD drives and memory card readers appear, but not anything connected via USB. What the hell can I do? Not sure if the player or the PC is to blame, but I'm not impressed!! Thought this was the ultimate drag and drop player/external harddrive combo!

Really need some help.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2010, 04:27 AM

have you tried resetting the device?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:54 AM

Yes, I did try that, but no luck.

The drive also still reads as 2.9/30.1gb free/spare as if the files are still there, just not visible when I use it

Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Search for a method of connecting it as a USB device, it is doable and I posted a tutorial some time ago.

When you get it connected as a USB mass storage and not MTP device you can try troubleshooting.

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Ahhh, thank you! That's the direction I needed. You can turn it into a drive by turning off MTP (media transfer tool) and turning on USB mass storage, via right clicking "my computer"/manage and then updating the driver/select from a specific location (advanced) of the device (found in portable devices). Now it is recognised as a drive and able to be scanned! See link for details:

http://eugeneboon.com/hello-world/

Great, thank you very much!

Last edited by RicemanDan; 06-18-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicemanDan View Post
Ahhh, thank you! That's the direction I needed. You can turn it into a drive by turning off MTP (media transfer tool) and turning on USB mass storage, via right clicking "my computer"/manage and then updating the driver/select from a specific location (advanced) of the device (found in portable devices). Now it is recognised as a drive and able to be scanned! See link for details:

http://eugeneboon.com/hello-world/

Great, thank you very much!
You're welcome.

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website