android
  #1  
Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
XxJacxX97 XxJacxX97 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 35
Help A few questions about the j3

Ok, Im thinking about getting the cowon s9 but then i thought, "what if cowon stops working with everything that has to do with the s9 and just moved to the j3?".So i looked at the j3 and i have a few questions about it. (please only people that own the device).

1.When you are playing a flash game that requires the arrow keys, does it have designated buttons for the arrow keys (s9 used the hardware buttons)?

(This^ ? is the main reason i made this thread so at least answer this one please)

2.does the white one look as good as i think it does ?

3.Can you zoom in on pics and vids like the s9?

4.Does it have a .txt viewer?

5.Compared to the s9, hows the sound quality?

6.is the speaker good quality?

7.if you are playing a song and you leave to go to look at pics or something, does the song still play?

8.does the shake to go to next song feature work well?

9.is the flash player any better than the s9? like, freezes up less?

10.Plays HD video?

11.What file type does the voice recorder save as?

12.is the headphone jack in a good spot?

13.can u turn a video sideways either way or is it only 1 way?

14.is it worth another 70$ more than the s9?
and....
15.Can someone name just some things that they really like about the j3?

Any answers would be appreciated,

XxJacxX64
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

1. depends on the flash game.
2. how good do you think it looks?
3. yes. You can also use two fingers to zoom.
4. yes.
5. about the same. Better gapless playback though.
6. for an on-board speaker it is average.
7. Pics? yes.
8. Yes.
9. I don't use it.
10. Not really. No reason to with a 480 x 272 screen and NTSC video out.
11. MP3
12. Good if you like it being on the bottom edge.
13. Video only plays in landscape orientation.
14. No. It's worth another $40 though.
15. Video play of MP4 (h.264) is hit and miss.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 PM
XxJacxX97 XxJacxX97 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
1. depends on the flash game.
2. how good do you think it looks?
3. yes. You can also use two fingers to zoom.
4. yes.
5. about the same. Better gapless playback though.
6. for an on-board speaker it is average.
7. Pics? yes.
8. Yes.
9. I don't use it.
10. Not really. No reason to with a 480 x 272 screen and NTSC video out.
11. MP3
12. Good if you like it being on the bottom edge.
13. Video only plays in landscape orientation.
14. No. It's worth another $40 though.
15. Video play of MP4 (h.264) is hit and miss.
2.Really, Really good

5. what is gapless playback? I hear about it alot.

12.Yay

14. where do u come up with that #?

Nother Question:
Can anyone find a price for the j3 (8gb) in the U.S. less than $194.94?
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
11. MP3
Seriously? The J3 records to MP3, not WMA?
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
XxJacxX97 XxJacxX97 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Seriously? The J3 records to MP3, not WMA?
Ya i think cowon decided to change it since mp3 is a much more used format and they got so many complaints.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJacxX97 View Post
Ya i think cowon decided to change it since mp3 is a much more used format and they got so many complaints.
That is certainly NOT what went through their heads.

The WMA license includes the decoder and encoder in one payment, that's why pretty much all DAP/PMP manufacturers use WMA for recording nowadays - only one payment towards Microsoft.

For MP3, you have to pay double for the decoder and the encoder - it's a lot more money that goes towards Fraunhofer and Thompson. That's why nobody uses MP3 encoders in portable players nowadays.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 PM
NeedBalanceCtrl's Avatar
NeedBalanceCtrl NeedBalanceCtrl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Seriously? The J3 records to MP3, not WMA?
Olley mistyped or just mis-remembered. I just tested my J3 to verify and both radio and mic recording is saved in WMA format, not mp3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That is certainly NOT what went through their heads.

The WMA license includes the decoder and encoder in one payment, that's why pretty much all DAP/PMP manufacturers use WMA for recording nowadays - only one payment towards Microsoft.

For MP3, you have to pay double for the decoder and the encoder - it's a lot more money that goes towards Fraunhofer and Thompson. That's why nobody uses MP3 encoders in portable players nowadays.
Your analysis is spot on. It's a pity more manufacturers don't implement OGG Vorbis, as it's royalty free.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

Ya, I had a brain freeze. Sorry for the confusion. WMA all the way.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
cowon j3, questions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.