android
  #1  
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM
greyfox08 greyfox08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Help Too late?

So my old E-series just died, and I've been searching for a replacement. I've been hovering my finger over the buy button for the X for a day or two now, but I need to clear a few things up. First of all, is the web browser really THAT bad, or is it just not comparable to the itouch? Second, has sony stopped supporting the device since it has been discontinued in retail stores? And Third, were there many valuable firmware updates since the release of the x?

I love sony's products, so im willing to shell out the extra cash even this late in the game, but do you think it's too late? Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I have a video converter called Ojosoft, which I just bought a few weeks ago. What are the reccomended resolution, bitrate settings, etc?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Szadzik Szadzik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Default

1. Web browser is not comparable to itouch.
2. They are still supporting it as long as you have a valid warranty.
3. There was one update which made the browser a bit better.

It is worth the money and now it is very cheap in many places.
__________________
Present Rig:
HP IQ830UK, SE X1, Nikon D90; HTX-22HD + SKS-11, Sony X1060, AKG K450, Sennheiser HD555, ATH-ESW9

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
h1a8 h1a8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 479
Default

The web browser is really that bad. Horrible in fact.
Just pretend it doesn't come with one.
Slacker Radio is good though.
The screen is good too.
No valuable firmware updates.
h.264 is restricted to 320 x 240 768kbps
WMV 480x272 5000kbps
Mpeg4 320x240 1500kbps
All 30fps

The best settings should be 432x240 (try it) with 25fps. It that doesn't work then try 30fps.

If you just want the best SQ and don't really care for web browsing (can you your laptop for that) then I would recommend the Sony NWZ-s545 or the Sansa Clip+ (which can be now rockboxed). They have the best sound around.

If you really want web browsing then
Personally I would recommend the ipod touch over the Sony as it is cheaper and has more features and a zillion apps (even a great web browser). There are many third party software that allow you to use it almost like a drag and drop device. It can be jailbroken to put other useful third party software on it. The only negative I have is that there is no custom eq (just presets). It has slacker, kindle, pdf, youtube (better than the Sony's), graphing calculators, games, etc. Its video playback is far less restricted and has great tv out.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Szadzik Szadzik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
If you just want the best SQ and don't really care for web browsing (can you your laptop for that) then I would recommend the Sony NWZ-s545 or the Sansa Clip+ (which can be now rockboxed). They have the best sound around.
Buhahahaha, that is a great joke! Sansa SQ as good as X Series? You must be really high to be writing this or you never had an X in your hands!
__________________
Present Rig:
HP IQ830UK, SE X1, Nikon D90; HTX-22HD + SKS-11, Sony X1060, AKG K450, Sennheiser HD555, ATH-ESW9

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
greyfox08 greyfox08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Default

And one more thing. Can you browse songs by text, i.e. title, instead of album art?
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Szadzik Szadzik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox08 View Post
And one more thing. Can you browse songs by text, i.e. title, instead of album art?
Sure you can.
__________________
Present Rig:
HP IQ830UK, SE X1, Nikon D90; HTX-22HD + SKS-11, Sony X1060, AKG K450, Sennheiser HD555, ATH-ESW9

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
h1a8 h1a8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
Buhahahaha, that is a great joke! Sansa SQ as good as X Series? You must be really high to be writing this or you never had an X in your hands!
I had a Sony X and every sony walkman that's came out since the a818. As far as earphones I have the se530, ie7, ie8, fx-500, fx-700, HFI-780, etc. So I'm very experienced. The s545 sounds better than the X and its cheaper. The s545 has an unbelievable large soundstage with incredible clearness and warmth. The rockboxed sansa can be configured to sound exactly like the s545 (as shown in my thread here about it) or better.

The Sony X isn't even the best sounding Sony. So why buy it for that price?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Szadzik Szadzik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
I had a Sony X and every sony walkman that's came out since the a818. As far as earphones I have the se530, ie7, ie8, fx-500, fx-700, HFI-780, etc. So I'm very experienced. The s545 sounds better than the X and its cheaper. The s545 has an unbelievable large soundstage with incredible clearness and warmth. The rockboxed sansa can be configured to sound exactly like the s545 (as shown in my thread here about it) or better.

The Sony X isn't even the best sounding Sony. So why buy it for that price?
You are the first one to arrive at such conclusions.

BTW., The gear one has does not mean anything about their experience, only about the amount of money they spent.
__________________
Present Rig:
HP IQ830UK, SE X1, Nikon D90; HTX-22HD + SKS-11, Sony X1060, AKG K450, Sennheiser HD555, ATH-ESW9

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 AM
goody1 goody1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 126
Default

The Sony x sq is very nice, clean and crisp...its very subjective sq i was one of the first to get the cowon j3 and i returned it after 5 days i just didn't like the sound..
__________________
Players:Iriver H340 rockboxed, sansa clip+ rockboxed,samsung R0, sony x1050 16gb, sony nwz hd5,samsung yh j70 (killer SQ)....Iems: Audio technica ckm500, Jvc HA S400,Beyerdynamic DTX501P ,Brainwavz HM5,V moda V80,Sony MDR1,Audio techinica CKM500
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM
BlueZ71 BlueZ71 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default

I recently got the X 32gb from Amazon US. The sound is great. I love it. You won't regret it!
I've had no problems converting videos over using c-u-c-usoft ultimate dvd video converter. Converting at 432x240. MP4.
I havn't tried the browser or slacker.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
greyfox08 greyfox08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ71 View Post
I recently got the X 32gb from Amazon US. The sound is great. I love it. You won't regret it!
I've had no problems converting videos over using c-u-c-usoft ultimate dvd video converter. Converting at 432x240. MP4.
I havn't tried the browser or slacker.
How many FPS? 25 or 30?
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
BlueZ71 BlueZ71 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default

I selected the mp4 option and it was set to 998 for the video bitrate and 29.970 (so pretty much 30) for the frame rate.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 PM
h1a8 h1a8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
You are the first one to arrive at such conclusions.

BTW., The gear one has does not mean anything about their experience, only about the amount of money they spent.
I'm not the first. There are several people on these forums that came to the same conclusion, even before me. Have you heard a nwz-s545? If you haven't then you don't know which has the better sq.

BTW, It means everything. It is stupid for someone to have an opinion on the sound on the something they never had or heard. Plus the opinions of those with the equipment are valued more than anyone elses.

Last edited by h1a8; 06-15-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Szadzik Szadzik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
I'm not the first. There are several people on these forums that came to the same conclusion, even before me. Have you heard a nwz-s545? If you haven't then you don't know which has the better sq.

BTW, It means everything. It is stupid for someone to have an opinion on the sound on the something they never had or heard. Plus the opinions of those with the equipment are valued more than anyone elses.
Just go to Head-Fi and read the whole thread about the X Series. The fact that 'a few' pewople are of the same opinion as you does not mean you are right.
__________________
Present Rig:
HP IQ830UK, SE X1, Nikon D90; HTX-22HD + SKS-11, Sony X1060, AKG K450, Sennheiser HD555, ATH-ESW9

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM
h1a8 h1a8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
Just go to Head-Fi and read the whole thread about the X Series. The fact that 'a few' pewople are of the same opinion as you does not mean you are right.
I've been there. I've been a member for quite some time now. Most people (if not all) who own the X never heard the s545. If you think about it, why should they. Some of the ones who has both said the s545 sounds better (before I even said it).

I dare you to name 1 thing that X does better than the s545 in SQ. For I can name you at least 1 thing that the s545 does better than the X. Plus I have rmaa tests to back it up.

I'm one of the very few that purchased BOTH.
Answer me this: Have you heard a s545?

If you haven't then why argue with me?
If you have then tell me where you think the X exceeds the s545 in SQ.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
Buhahahaha, that is a great joke! Sansa SQ as good as X Series? You must be really high to be writing this or you never had an X in your hands!
The Clip output is essentially perfect from a DAC point of view, so you can't do better then that.

But if you have some other player you think is good, might as well RMAA and post the results. If nothing else it'll be neat to compare them.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 AM
Szadzik Szadzik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quality in a DAP is not only about MAA the same way headphones are not only about specs.

I will not be doing any tests or posting them here, because tests do not prove nothing in this case.

As for you 'uniqueness in buying both S545 and the X do not be so sure, really you are not the only one.

If you want to believe however, that you unique and only you know the truth Iwill definitely not be arguing with you about it.
__________________
Present Rig:
HP IQ830UK, SE X1, Nikon D90; HTX-22HD + SKS-11, Sony X1060, AKG K450, Sennheiser HD555, ATH-ESW9

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
Quality in a DAP is not only about MAA the same way headphones are not only about specs.
Audio quality is essentially determining entirely by testing in RMAA, at least for a particular pair of headphones. Quality in general depends on much more then just audio output though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
I will not be doing any tests or posting them here, because tests do not prove nothing in this case.
You're right, they don't prove nothing, they prove everything

Anyway, why so sour? Surely some testing will help you understand the performance of the device a better. Whats the harm in learning more about your interests? You obviously care enough to argue. You should care enough to argue and win
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Szadzik Szadzik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Audio quality is essentially determining entirely by testing in RMAA, at least for a particular pair of headphones. Quality in general depends on much more then just audio output though.



You're right, they don't prove nothing, they prove everything

Anyway, why so sour? Surely some testing will help you understand the performance of the device a better. Whats the harm in learning more about your interests? You obviously care enough to argue. You should care enough to argue and win
Audio is not only about the DAP, good point. That is why I use GOOD headphones. With good headphones you get great quality with the X Series.
__________________
Present Rig:
HP IQ830UK, SE X1, Nikon D90; HTX-22HD + SKS-11, Sony X1060, AKG K450, Sennheiser HD555, ATH-ESW9

Used in the past: Rio Carbon, Creative Zen Vision M, Sony NWZ-A818
Just-a-Photograppher's Website
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post
Audio is not only about the DAP, good point. That is why I use GOOD headphones. With good headphones you get great quality with the X Series.
With great headphones you get great quality from everything.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.