android
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Default worth installing rockbox on v2?

Hi everyone. You make this a great forum.
I just purchased a fuze. I am very happy and I want to get the best sound posible (I also own a sennheisser ie 8). So, my first desire is rockboxit, but it is v2.Before doing so, I want to ask:
What does it mean when they say that rockbox is unstable?
How functional is it? Do I have risk of damaging my fuze?
Does it worth installing rockbox at this stage of development?

Thanks for your comments. I really apreciate your opinions.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Gaples, much better interface, slightly faster loading times...
I'd say wait a few weeks till they realease the easy install version to come out though.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

Old 06-09-2010, 04:38 PM

It would be worth it for gapless playback alone. Not to mention all the other bells and whistles. Extra codecs. Great EQ options.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM

I think this is a decision you have to make yourself, beyond the links that saratoga gave you, there’s a whole thread with around 112 posts on this very subject here. You should take the time to read it if possible. I was an early adapter on Clip and only had one scare but fixed it no problem, certainly worth it for me …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM

Thank you very much guys for your comments. Actually I know the advantages of rockbox since I have it installed in my old X5. My fear and my question was in relation to the word "unstable" and if it meant a risk to the player (a permanent brick or something), and moreover, that I would lose respect for the "stable" version.
At the end I decided to take the risk, I installed it and everything is going well. The only drawback is that with the current build does not run any theme outside the basics. By the moment, I can survive with the cabbie. The rest all good, and after a hard work setting up sound, I have the best sound I've ever received from a mp3 player.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM

I believe unstable means that not all of the features are functional yet, as you've noticed. I don't think it will be too much longer before the stable version is released, at least according to what I've seen at the Rockbox forum. Glad everything has worked out for you. I also have the current build of the unstable version installed and it's working great, at least as far as playback is concerned.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 PM

I now know what means unstable. After two days of use, the fuze froze, and was stuck on the main screen. I tried to get it back anyway, without results, even connecting it to the PC. I thought the worst, all my fears turned into reality. After a research in the Rockbox documentation, I get it back. It seems that we have to wait some time unitl it becomes stable.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:36 PM

I just received my two Fuze players in the mail today. They were v2 when I was hoping they were going to be v1 refurbs. Because I need them for video right now, I bit the bullet and loaded RB on both of them. It was an easy install with no glitches. I copied over my video files from my e260, and so far so good. I've got more tweaking to do, but for now it's good enough for the 14-hour plane ride we're about to take. If it bricks at 33,000 ft I might have a stroke, but I love RB enough to take that chance.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

FWIW, I am a new RB user on a v2 Fuze 8GB+16GB microSDHC. In the 10 days my Fuze has been RB'd, the device has only crashed twice.

Otherwise, my install and my user experience thus far has been flawless with zero issues.

Using RB Fuzev2 Build 26906-100618.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Update

After the first crash on the second day of use, and install the latest version available, I have now three weeks been going great with rockbox, without a single flaw, including the ability to install themes. Definitely, for me, there is nothing to fear, and I can say that rocbox is so stable in the fuze v2, as on any other device.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by permansu View Post
After the first crash on the second day of use, and install the latest version available, I have now three weeks been going great with rockbox, without a single flaw, including the ability to install themes. Definitely, for me, there is nothing to fear, and I can say that rocbox is so stable in the fuze v2, as on any other device.
Hey, just out of curiosity, what v2 RB build are you using now?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey, just out of curiosity, what v2 RB build are you using now?
I am now using r27109-100624 because I decided to upgrade that day; but I am not having problems since r26845.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by permansu View Post
I am now using r27109-100624 because I decided to upgrade that day; but I am not having problems since r26845.
Ah, ok thank you. My own version of RB r26906 is later than the one that has been running well for you.

Thanks!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Tags
rockbox, sansa fuze v2