android
Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 AM

Default Handling Multiple Songs With The Same Name

I've recently begun the task of making sure each of my songs has a unique name. I have a number of songs (aproximately 2,000) in my collection with the same name. In some cases they are different songs with the same name (like "It's Too Late" by Bobby Goldsboro and "It's Too Late" by Carole King). In other cases, I have two different versions of the same songs by the same artist (like "And I Love You So" by Don McLean, one version from 1970 and another from 1992).

In the past, I've appended a number in brackets (like "[1]")to the end of song's name to differentiate between different versions of the song. However, the weakness with this is that it doesn't indicate which song it is just from the song's name. I usually choose songs by name.

BTW, a convention I've been following when writing my tags is that I put any extra information I add to a song's title, artist, and album information in brackets. This makes it easy to identify the information that I have added.

What I've started doing is to put the artist's name in brackets after the song's name. In the case of two versions of the same song by the same artist, I put the year after the artist's name. To illustrate from the examples in the first paragraph:

- It's Too Late [Bobby Goldsboro]
- It's Too Late [Carole King]
- And I Love You So [Don McLean - 1970]
- And I Love You So [Don McLean - 1992]

The exception I've made to this is with audiobooks and spoken-word comedy albums. It is mainly because with these types of albums I usually listen to them in order as an entire album and rarely put more than one on my player at one time.

I wanted to find out how others handle this issue. Thanks in advance.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 06-13-2010 at 03:58 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM

If you are you talking about file names I don't use any artist or song title information for my music files. It is a way to avoid any problems with foreign accents, special characters or path string length.

I mostly encounter the same name inside Jazz re-editions providing alternate takes of the same song. So they are numbered ( take #2, #3, etc).
Of course some artists can record their classics many times, and some obvious titles are shared by many songs, but if each track belongs to a different album I don't feel the need to add more informations to it title.

By the way, keeping songs with the same name is great. I want to be able to easily create a playlist with all the covers of a standard like "Never let me go" for example.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey guys:

I actually use mostly CDMP3PlayerFan's method, using brackets to indicate artist/etc info.

However, I also arrange all my music by artist first, so my tags and filenames read like this:

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? - 01 - Little Wing.mp3
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Cold Shot - 01 - Little Wing.mp3
Various Artists - A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix - 01 - Little Wing [with Paul Gilbert].mp3

[above is not necessarily accurate, doing this from memory, but it is how I do it]

So unique song names are not a priority for me necessarily. But MediaMonkey [and Winamp] is still great at organizing all the same name songs for me to see if I want to. Remember that Same Song in Your Music Collection thread from a while back?

cheers guys!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 AM

Response to meetooman's post:

I have MediaMonkey (MM) set to automatically make the file name the same as the song's title. The only exception to this is if two songs with the same name are in the same directory. In that case, MM automatically adds a number in parenthesis to the file name to prevent duplicate file names (it removes the number(s) when they are no longer needed).

Response to lestatar's post:

The reason that I'm concerned about duplicate song titles is so that I can locate a specific version of a song on my player. In the case of some favorites, I sometimes end up with two or three versions of the song loaded on my player. As an example, I have four versions of "Trying To Get The Feeling Again" on my player, versions by the following artists: Carpenters, Barry Manilow, David Pomeranz, and Gene Pitney.

Yes, this is related to the multiple song thread. I'm a fan of the Carpenters and ABBA, and I've ended up with many different versions of their songs in my collection, along with different songs with the same name. I've considered going with drag-and-drop to load songs on my player and I prefer to load all of the songs in one directory so I need to avoid duplicate file names when I load my songs.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

CDMP3PlayerFan:

I see your point. Just looked at both my Fuze and Sony E. Without distinctive song ID3 tags, it is difficult to discern one identically names track from another...Both the Fuze and the Sony will scroll the information in the Song list view, though it does take a few moments for each.

Good enough for me, but for sure with lots of same name songs, I can see the challenge... :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Unless I have an automatic way of synchronising the tags and file/directory names, I try to keep the number of tags lower. The reason is that if they get out of sync you can lead to false positives.

My directory structure is generally deep, so I tend to have

album_artist/album name/tracknum-trackname

For 'Various artists' albums I also add in the track artist to the file name.

I wouldn't want to pollute my tags with the numbers. I see it as more of a failing of my music player if it doesn't show the contextual information for a given track.

Also I agree with meetooman about bad characters in file names. For writing scripts etc it is also often best to replace spaces with something else.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gravell View Post
...SNIPPED....Also I agree with meetooman about bad characters in file names. For writing scripts etc it is also often best to replace spaces with something else.
Interesting...thanks for the info guys. Haven't given this too much thought as my own tags are complete but still pretty basic. Good to know tho.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gravell View Post
Unless I have an automatic way of synchronising the tags and file/directory names, I try to keep the number of tags lower. The reason is that if they get out of sync you can lead to false positives.

My directory structure is generally deep, so I tend to have

album_artist/album name/tracknum-trackname

For 'Various artists' albums I also add in the track artist to the file name.

I wouldn't want to pollute my tags with the numbers. I see it as more of a failing of my music player if it doesn't show the contextual information for a given track.

Also I agree with meetooman about bad characters in file names. For writing scripts etc it is also often best to replace spaces with something else.
I use the same basic folder structure as you do, except my filename is just the song's title. As far as automatically sychronizing the folder structure and filenames with the tags, I use MediaMonkey (MM) to manage my music collection and I have it set to automatically do this. When I update a song's tag(s), the filename and folders are updated to reflect the change when appropriate.

My player does display the important information on each song (title, artist, album, genre, and year) on the main screen. The main issue for me is identifying the specific song based on just the title. The additions to the song title I mentioned in the original post ensure that I can identify a specific song just from the song's title.

I agree with you and meetoman about avoiding bad characters in file names. To reduce the chances of this happening, I only use ASCII characters in my ID3 tags (and my folder structure and filenames since they are based on the ID3 tags).
MediaMonkey 4

Tags
multiple names, song title, tags