android
Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 PM

Default Is There Anybody Out There?

If I'm right, no one has posted here since May. Anyway, I just read that Adobe has come out with a flash 10 player for mobile gadgets. Is this good news for Archos 605 wifi users or does Archos bother updating its firmware anymore?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 AM

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarcho1 View Post
If I'm right, no one has posted here since May. Anyway, I just read that Adobe has come out with a flash 10 player for mobile gadgets. Is this good news for Archos 605 wifi users or does Archos bother updating its firmware anymore?
No, it is not good news for users (unfortunately). It still has to be ported/adapted (whatever it is called) to the various players. Chances are, something as old as my two 605's will never get it. I also own an Archos 5 IMT, and have all but given up hope of ever seeing it, and that one is a generation newer. Archos pretty much abandons support for the previous generation the minute the next one comes out.
Microsoft Zune 30GB (black)
SanDisk Sansa e260v2 4GB (w/2GB card)

Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Well they are still providing fixes for the Gen 7's and the Gen 8's are coming out very soon.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man76 View Post
Well they are still providing fixes for the Gen 7's and the Gen 8's are coming out very soon.
Which in no way contradicts what I said in my previous post:

"Archos pretty much abandons support for the previous generation the minute the next one comes out."

So your point is?

Last edited by 1shado1; 07-20-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Well I guess what I was saying was that despite the fact that the Gen 8's are coming out soon they are still updating the firmware on the Gen7's. That said there is a fine line for companies to walk in continuing to update older models that you are no longer retailing and focusing on ensuring that the product they are retailing has the best firmware that you can provide.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man76 View Post
Well I guess what I was saying was that despite the fact that the Gen 8's are coming out soon they are still updating the firmware on the Gen7's. That said there is a fine line for companies to walk in continuing to update older models that you are no longer retailing and focusing on ensuring that the product they are retailing has the best firmware that you can provide.
"coming out soon" is the important bit. Your point is well taken about them not being able to provide updates forever. But when the first Zune came out, they provided updates for almost 3 years. Sandisk provided a couple of years of updates for the e200 series. There are probably many other examples, but my personal experience is limited.

The firmware on my 605's and my A5 IMT seem stable enough that they don't require any updates. But I DO think that an update to flash 10 should be provided for the A5 IMT someday, as they were still in the middle of their release period (before the gen 7) when the world changed to flash 10. I think this is owed to the gen 6 owners. I can fully understand anything older not getting an update to flash 10, though.