android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-28-2010, 06:21 PM
theholybull theholybull is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
That is kind of funny coming from someone with 5 iPods and 2 Zunes.
I dont hate apple in any way. I love my touches but i really dont use them for music. I use them more as PDAs. I have the 160g classic pretty much just for videos (docked on the tv). and the shuffle is for the wife on her bike. The zunes see the most use as the 30g is strictly for porn and i use the HD as my daily music player. When it comes to playing music and daily use ill take my zunes.
__________________
Players: 1g 16gb Ipod Touch, 2g 16gb Ipod touch, 3g 32gb Ipod Touch, 6g 160gb Ipod classic, 2g 1gb ipod shuffle, 1g 30gb Zune, 16gb Zune hd, 1gb Creative Zen, Sony MP3 mini disk player/recorder, Sansa c130.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #42  
Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Adub's Avatar
Adub Adub is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: T DOT
Posts: 1,604
Default

Come on, comparing an independent brewery's beer (Boston Beer Company) within the beer industry with ZuneHD within the PMP/DAP market? Last i checked Microsoft was one of the largest companies in the world with nigh endless resources, you can't make silly comparisons like that it makes no sense.

Microsoft has the means to have a bigger market share, they failed on multiple levels. Distribution is US only, Marketplace lol, Apps fail, Marketing fail, they need to hire people who know what they are doing and they can succeed as they have the dollars just inept staff.

Apparently Microsoft has done some house cleaning of useless exec douches in the Entertainment & Devices division, maybe they will stop failing.
__________________
last.fm#abi ircrockboxnoobglossaryhiphopthreadhorrormoviethread
XBLive Tag: wuaffiliate
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Last edited by Adub; 05-28-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #43  
Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 PM
McDougal's Avatar
McDougal McDougal is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
To say the Zune HD is a flop because it has low 2% marketshare, it is flaw. I saw a Samuel Adams commercial today where they were proud that they had a 0.9% in the beer industry because their customers were highly satisfied.

What's more important than marketshare IMO is customer satisfaction. Marketshare does not make the product good or bad. It is the satisfaction of the customers that matters. I do however have to say Microsoft has done a horrible job of advertising the Zune. Today alone, I saw several Kin commercials.
I agree on a couple of points here. I agree that customer satisfaction is more important than marketshare. And I also agree that Microsoft is doing a horrible job of advertising the Zune. I believe that the Zune HD only has 2% marketshare due to the fact that Microsoft doesn't know how to advertise the Zune properly, and that the Zune can only be sold in the US.
__________________
iPod Touch 4G 32GB; Google Nexus 7 32GB
JVC HAS600B;Pioneer SE-M390;Audio-Technica ATH-P5

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed
Reply With Quote

  #44  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 PM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Back in September I saw a commercial about the ZuneHD, although I heard of the brand Zune I never knew any of its products.... 6 months later when I got $300 I remembered the commercial and before you know it I got a ZuneHD. So yeah Microsoft advertising works, I was lucky to watched and saw a zHD commercial... If I didn't, I would of gotten a touch xD
Reply With Quote

  #45  
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
plus you have to keep in mind that MS is basically competeing 1 product vs 4...the HD is the only zune in stores (for the most part) apple has the shuffle, nano, classic, and touch.
This is absolutely key. Not that I'm suggesting we don't have plenty of work to do, but comparing the market share of brands vs. product categories is (pardon the pun) comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom9000 View Post
i have the feeling that they made the zune to see if people like the interface so they use it windows 7
I've already categorically denied this. The Windows Phone 7 interface was in development builds before the ZuneHD even was released.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #46  
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Guys read he article 'what should Steve ballmer do with Zune' over at CNET... Microsoft read it too

Here is one really good idea:
Make Zune Software replace Windows Media Player in All Windows computer.
Reply With Quote

  #47  
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM
panzerchaos47 panzerchaos47 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Default

I don't get it why care about market. Unless they overspend on marketing the Zune. You can make small business and still cater the small crowd not loss money.
Reply With Quote

  #48  
Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Scarpad Scarpad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan00b View Post
"Zune had 2 percent of the U.S. digital music player market in the first quarter, compared with 76 percent for Apple products, according to NPD Group Inc., a Port Washington, New York-based researcher"

Unless things miraculously picked up after March (which I doubt), it looks like the Zune HD was a complete and total failure on all levels. 2% market share is just BAD, no matter how you spin it.

...in other news, Microsoft is planning to cut the Zune Pass price (probably to $10)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aJFlxLUDeUoA
Well no advertising will do that to a product. The Zune Pass at 10bucks is a good deal, but the merging of the Xbox andZuneMarketplaces was such a disaster,I would neverbuy music and vids from MS.
Reply With Quote

  #49  
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 AM
cmbtking cmbtking is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 54
Default

well the only thing that bothers me so much about the Zune is the advertising...

friend: What's that?
me: a zune hd
friend: a what?
me: zune hd...like microsofts version of an ipod
friend: i didnt know microsoft made mp3 players

i seriously have NEVER seen a single advertisement for any zune except for the one walmart had on their website

really...just get some commercials on tv about the damn thing and i bet sales would jump real quick...because i love my ZHD
Reply With Quote

  #50  
Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 AM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbtking View Post
well the only thing that bothers me so much about the Zune is the advertising...

friend: What's that?
me: a zune hd
friend: a what?
me: zune hd...like microsofts version of an ipod
friend: i didnt know microsoft made mp3 players

i seriously have NEVER seen a single advertisement for any zune except for the one walmart had on their website

really...just get some commercials on tv about the damn thing and i bet sales would jump real quick...because i love my ZHD

Advertising leads to awareness. Awareness leads to critque of an items flaws. I mean, we're on ABI, a site where half the people ABHOR anything Apple. And yet, we have numerous people here stating that the Ipod Touch is a better device than the ZuneHD.

Now what happens when you put the ZuneHD out in the wild, where the Apple fanboys can become aware of it? Microsoft failed to deliver a product that could beat the Ipod Touch (all their comparisons to the 2G Ipod Touch prior to launch showed that MS failed to account for the upcoming 3rd gen that was launching the same week as the Zune HD). However, the Zune HD is priced within the same realm of the Touch, and it advertises many of the same features.

I love my Zune HD. It has, IMO, better audio and video quality than the Ipod Touch, as well as a different UI that I happen to like. But everything else on it seems tacked on and half-assed. The web browser still has issues and isn't comparable to mobile Safari, the wifi doesn't connect to many wifi connections, the apps are barely there, and Microsoft plays dumb about the issues with the device. I mean, no disrespect, but look at half of Dave's posts! He practically gushes over the most miniscule thing that they enhance. I mean, really, you want an attaboy because MS finally released Solitair? Are you serious?

The Zune HD is an amazing audio player. But for a similar price you can get a better all-around device (the Ipod Touch), or for less money you can get a far superior PMP in the S9. The Zune HD is a niche product that I happen to enjoy for my niche, but it is what it is, and will never be what MS wanted it to be, a serious competitor to the Ipod Touch.
Reply With Quote

  #51  
Old 05-29-2010, 04:00 AM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
This is absolutely key. Not that I'm suggesting we don't have plenty of work to do, but comparing the market share of brands vs. product categories is (pardon the pun) comparing apples and oranges.
Understood. Fine. So why do you refuse to provide more accurate (i.e. "oranges-to-oranges") stats? When you say, "The media is making an unfair analysis"...and then conspicuously avoid presenting an alternative analysis...it still doesn't look very good.
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 AM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Understood. Fine. So why do you refuse to provide more accurate (i.e. "oranges-to-oranges") stats? When you say, "The media is making an unfair analysis"...and then conspicuously avoid presenting an alternative analysis...it still doesn't look very good.
Because there is no oranges-to-oranges comparison. When the Zune HD was announced, MS released some slides comparing it to the 2nd Gen Ipod Touch. I (an many others) said, "Gee, that's cool, but the 3rd Gen Touch comes out around the same time as the Zune HD. How do you compare to THAT?" MS's response after the release of the 3rd gen Ipod Touch was "we're not competing with the Ipod Touch."

This attitude causes there to be no oranges-to-oranges comparison. Bottom line is that the Ipod Touch is a do-it-all device, wheras the Cowon S9 is the ultimate audio/video player in that segment, and the Zune HD falls somewhere in between.

And before someon states it, I'm not trying to slam the ZHD, because I think it fills in nicely for the niche that I'm at. I will, however, criticize MS's approach to how they handled it. Their back and forth on hardware/software has led me to believe someone near the top of the Zune team is bi-polar.
Reply With Quote

  #53  
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Stujoe Stujoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 228
Default

Zune Pass price cut! Saweeet! AS long as it doesn't mean less content.

For the flop part...don;t really care as long as mine keeps working.
Reply With Quote

  #54  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Jacob Jacob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbtking View Post
well the only thing that bothers me so much about the Zune is the advertising...

friend: What's that?
me: a zune hd
friend: a what?
me: zune hd...like microsofts version of an ipod
friend: i didnt know microsoft made mp3 players

i seriously have NEVER seen a single advertisement for any zune except for the one walmart had on their website

really...just get some commercials on tv about the damn thing and i bet sales would jump real quick...because i love my ZHD
But then again, I live in the UK and someone was like "is that a Zune HD?"
Reply With Quote

  #55  
Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 AM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Because there is no oranges-to-oranges comparison. When the Zune HD was announced, MS released some slides comparing it to the 2nd Gen Ipod Touch. I (an many others) said, "Gee, that's cool, but the 3rd Gen Touch comes out around the same time as the Zune HD. How do you compare to THAT?" MS's response after the release of the 3rd gen Ipod Touch was "we're not competing with the Ipod Touch."

This attitude causes there to be no oranges-to-oranges comparison. Bottom line is that the Ipod Touch is a do-it-all device, wheras the Cowon S9 is the ultimate audio/video player in that segment, and the Zune HD falls somewhere in between.

And before someon states it, I'm not trying to slam the ZHD, because I think it fills in nicely for the niche that I'm at. I will, however, criticize MS's approach to how they handled it. Their back and forth on hardware/software has led me to believe someone near the top of the Zune team is bi-polar.
Your wrong. Microsoft always say the ZuneHD is competing with the iPod touch, But Not competing in Applications.

No way ZuneHD is below Cowon S9... That's a piece of Chinese garbage compared to the ZuneHD.

Is so funny how some guys think that the Zune team/ Microsoft is all a bunch of retards (and bipolar) who don't know how to do their job. They always a reason for everything they do....
Reply With Quote

  #56  
Old 05-29-2010, 09:48 AM
glove4 glove4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Your wrong. Microsoft always say the ZuneHD is competing with the iPod touch, But Not competing in Applications.

No way ZuneHD is below Cowon S9... That's a piece of Chinese garbage compared to the ZuneHD.

Is so funny how some guys think that the Zune team/ Microsoft is all a bunch of retards (and bipolar) who don't know how to do their job. They always a reason for everything they do....
Please, ill take that "Chinese garbage" over the Zune HD any day. Cowon does a better job at what the Zune HD is supposed to be, an audio-video player. Stop trying to defend the millionaires at Microsoft, like you have something in common with them. I've returned that American garbage for the quality Commie products.
Reply With Quote

  #57  
Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM
musichound musichound is offline
Off-Topic Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
No way ZuneHD is below Cowon S9... That's a piece of Chinese garbage compared to the ZuneHD.
FWIW, Cowon products are Korean, and not Chinese. So if you are going to call something garbage, please be accurate.

As for the Cowon S9, from what I hear, it is a superior product audio wise over the Zune HD.
__________________
Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320 - IPod Classic 160GB - iPod 5.5G 80GB - Sansa Clip Plus 4GB - Original Sansa Clip 2GB
Reply With Quote

  #58  
Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 AM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
Please, ill take that "Chinese garbage" over the Zune HD any day. Cowon does a better job at what the Zune HD is supposed to be, an audio-video player. Stop trying to defend the millionaires at Microsoft, like you have something in common with them. I've returned that American garbage for the quality Commie products.
How does my opinion automatically makes me defend Microsoft? I've bashed on Microsoft too.... Well you keep that 'chinese garbage' and ill stick with my 'american garbage'.
Reply With Quote

  #59  
Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

I think the Zune Team is wonderfully talented. I question management and marketing though. It's a great device with wonderful potential. The games we've gotten have been first rate in their category. You can't do orange-orange either as stepping either way (up (Apple) or down (Kiwi)) leaves the Zune HD coming up short. Take the Cowon J3 for example:

- Bluetooth,
- MicroSD expansion,
- 2 extra UI styles to choose from,
- more audio
- more video codecs supported,
- line-in recording,
- external volume, play/pause, and track +/- keys
- speaker
- microphone
- Radio recording
- Voice recording
- Calculator
- Flash game/app support
- 64 hour battery for audio
- User defined EQ

Zune HD:
- WIFi
-- Browser
-- Market/music
-- Market/apps
-- Free utilities (limited)
-- Free games (limited)
- Social
- Fancy visual "Extras" with music.
- HD radio (if any is in range)
- HD TV out with acce$$ory dock and cables.

Other than these things, the devices are identical. So if the HD is a Touch competitor it doesn't compete for apps and WiFi utilization. If the HD is a J3 competitor it loses as a media player. Nothing like being the only orange out there, especially when there is only a niche market for oranges. Then limit that market even more by only selling oranges in the U.S.. No wonder I've yet to bump into another HD owner.
Reply With Quote

  #60  
Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 AM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
FWIW, Cowon products are Korean, and not Chinese. So if you are going to call something garbage, please be accurate.

As for the Cowon S9, from what I hear, it is a superior product audio wise over the Zune HD.
Garbage is garbage...
Now that i think about it I may of exaggerated a little... Cowon isn't garbage, Cowon is acually good company its J3 looks preety cool. But my opinion is that ZuneHD is better than Cowon S9.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.