android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 05-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Well, if anything, I suppose this'll bring Zune HD prices down, perhaps. Unfortunately, Apple dominates the market in this regard, which is sad, since there are so many great non-iPod players out there, such as the Sansa Clip+. Hell, even CNET's MP3 Insider podcast ended because the hosts felt that there was nothing left out besides iPods. That is patently not true, but this is the feeling out there in the land of followers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM

I so wanted a Zune HD.
Microsoft basically snuck into Best Buy, dumped it on the shelf and took off running.
I don't remember seeing one commercial, any post release juice from the tech sites, nothing.
I was searching for a new music player and they failed to deliver.
Not that the interface was bad, but it looked unfinished, and they never fulfilled their app store promise.
Heck, it took this site, called Anythingbutipod like a month and 1/2 to review the darn thing. The guy couldn't get around to reviewing the ipod killer for a month or so?
That wouid be like ilounge not reviewing the newest touch for a month.
MS took their chips to the Win7 phone table and kissed Zune goodbye.
Me, I took the money that was going towards the ZuneHD/Kindle/Touch and put it into the iPad.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I'd rather be unique than a sheep.
Hehe buying a Microsoft product...ironic.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
There is some positive spin to this, believe it or not. Prior to the launch of the Zune HD, MS was 1% of the market. Since they've launched the Zune HD, they've also discontinued all of their other models. They went from 2 basical models in different memory configurations to just one model in different memory configuarions, and managed to double their marketshare.

I know, I know, it's a major reach. MS needs to decide what is more important, their Zune ecosystem, or their zune hardware. All indications are they want the ecosystem to compete with Itunes. If they'd just port a Zune software player with marketplace access to BB, Symbian, and Android, they'd gradually grow to a respectable size of the market. Maybe they'll consider this kind of approach if WP7 fails.
1) I agree...although it's 'weak' positive spin.
2) I think they have already decided. They continue to push their 3 screens strategy (TV, phone and PC...notice, no PMP- PMPs are converging on to phones) Ballmer for a while has been emphasizing the Zune experience as being centered on the software/marketplace and not the hardware. I think there may be another zune or three, but the emphasis will be the zune experience on phones running WP7 plus perhaps xBox and so on. This is all my own conclusion...I have no inside info.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM

With the lack of advertising it's amazing that 2% even know about the Zune. Ive seen more Kin ads and commercials just this morning than for the whole of the life on the Zune. I doesn't appear that Microsoft intended to compete with the ipod.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM

i have the feeling that they made the zune to see if people like the interface so they use it windows 7

Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM

We should know which market segment the Zune HD is supposed to belong to, in order to compare better. It's a premium player, not a basic 60$ generic mp3 device. The Zune HD is a showcase, a niche product.
By the way the hardware is only a part of the equation. Zune is primarly a music service, Zune Pass. You can use the service with your PC, your Xbox or your Zune player.
And if the Zune Pass market share doesn't go double-digit and Microsoft decides to stop the Zune operations, the greatest issue will be that there will be no alternative software to support the Zune devices, because they are so closed. Do you remember PlayForSure and the first defunct music services?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguemat View Post
Instead of worrying about how other people like it, why dont you concentrate on how you like/dislike it.
I love my zune, and I couldnt care if others dont - I dont have it for them.
This is the exact reason that pushed me toward the Zune HD instead of the iPod Touch. All of my friends think I'm a complete retard for not buying an iPod, but the Zune HD does everything I want better than the iPod touch can do it. For example, I only listen to music, watch an occasional music video, and look at pictures most of the time. The Zune HD does all those better than the iPod touch. I might occasionally go online, or play a game, but only maybe once a week I do those things. So internet and apps aren't as important to me, if they were, I would have gone with the iPod touch, not the Zune. But I'm happy with my Zune HD, I don't care if it only has 2% of the market, that hasn't affected me, yet.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
This is the exact reason that pushed me toward the Zune HD instead of the iPod Touch. All of my friends think I'm a complete retard for not buying an iPod, but the Zune HD does everything I want better than the iPod touch can do it. For example, I only listen to music, watch an occasional music video, and look at pictures most of the time. The Zune HD does all those better than the iPod touch. I might occasionally go online, or play a game, but only maybe once a week I do those things. So internet and apps aren't as important to me, if they were, I would have gone with the iPod touch, not the Zune. But I'm happy with my Zune HD, I don't care if it only has 2% of the market, that hasn't affected me, yet.
You should have gone all the way and went for the S9 due to your preference of use. If all you want it for is mainly music and some video the S9 stomps the competition when comparing it to other premium player.

As a disclaimer, i am saying if audio is your MAIN use and you don't care about the other options a player has but want a premium player, the S9 is undoubtedly the player to choose, FOR AUDIO.

Last edited by Adub; 05-28-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
I so wanted a Zune HD.
Microsoft basically snuck into Best Buy, dumped it on the shelf and took off running.
I don't remember seeing one commercial, any post release juice from the tech sites, nothing.
I was searching for a new music player and they failed to deliver.
Not that the interface was bad, but it looked unfinished, and they never fulfilled their app store promise.
Heck, it took this site, called Anythingbutipod like a month and 1/2 to review the darn thing. The guy couldn't get around to reviewing the ipod killer for a month or so?
That wouid be like ilounge not reviewing the newest touch for a month.
MS took their chips to the Win7 phone table and kissed Zune goodbye.
Me, I took the money that was going towards the ZuneHD/Kindle/Touch and put it into the iPad.
iPad?! lol, then you were never in the market for a music player. I could understand getting an iPad over a netbook/laptop but to say instead of a small portable mp3 player, you got an iPad...2 totally different devices. Unless you're a kangaroo, it's not fitting in your pocket.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
You should have gone all the way and went for the S9 due to your preference of use. If all you want it for is mainly music and some video the S9 stomps the competition when comparing it to other premium player.

As a disclaimer, i am saying if audio is your MAIN use and you don't care about the other options a player has but want a premium player, the S9 is undoubtedly the player to choose, FOR AUDIO.
The Cowon S9 seems (I say seems because I've never owned one) like a very good music player. But, the S9 doesn't have a web browser, this would have been a downside for me, even though I only use the browser on the ZHD when I don't have a laptop or don't have time to use a laptop. And, I didn't know about the S9 when I was going to buy the ZHD, if I had known, I might have gone for the S9, but it's unlikely I would have.

Retired Devices:

Old 05-28-2010, 04:11 PM

I was responding to your initial post if you change from "maybe once a week" to "when i dont have a laptop or dont want to use one" then you change the context of your post and you should learn to post what you really mean instead of trying to make the zunehd sound better than the itouch (which it isnt) with comments you can't even stand by.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:21 PM

I could less about Zune's marketshare... What matters is Zune MP3 player is freakin' awsome.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I could care less about Zune Pass...to me it's all about the player, I also don't care about the Zune Marketplace either because I hate the points system.

Retired Devices:

Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM

I haven't used the iPod Touch much as a music player, but I do find it puzzling that people think the Zune HD does music better. I find the lack of a slide-able seek bar annoying. I also find it a little annoying that when I press the side button, it doesn't display the point at which I am in the song (in minutes and seconds). I find it annoying that it doesn't have hardware play/rw/ffw buttons.

It's a good music player, don't get me wrong. It's a quality device. But everyone who says "I don't care that it has 2% market share, it's the best music player ever!"... well I just don't get it. The HD doesn't seem to do anything better than the Touch, and anyway I really don't think there is much innovation to be had in an MP3 player's functionality in this regard. So my problem with this whole music focus thing MS spits out with the Zune HD is twofold: 1. The Zune HD is NOT the best music player there is and 2. Even if it is, that's not really what attracts most people. Apps on the other hand, which drastically increase the functionality of what otherwise simply plays back media, do attract people. We're not talking an either/or situation, like an app-only machine vs a media-only machine. We're talking about a media-only machine vs a media AND shit ton of useful/fun apps-machine.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Maybe if they had made it drag & drop and didn't just sell it in 1 country it wouldn't be such a flop.

I'd rather have an ipod.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Maybe if they had made it drag & drop and didn't just sell it in 1 country it wouldn't be such a flop.

I'd rather have an ipod.
I would really like drag & drop too, it's so much easier and you don't have to worry about the Zune software slowing down your PC...

One thing that stopped me from getting the iPod touch was iTunes, I HATE iTunes.

Retired Devices:

Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

I just bought a Sony Reader and I'm so glad I don't have to use the shitty software - if I ever got an ipod it'd have to be... wait, I'm not going there, I'll never get an ipod.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
...Zune software...I HATE iTunes.
Reminds me of a South Park episode.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

To say the Zune HD is a flop because it has low 2% marketshare, it is flaw. I saw a Samuel Adams commercial today where they were proud that they had a 0.9% in the beer industry because their customers were highly satisfied.

What's more important than marketshare IMO is customer satisfaction. Marketshare does not make the product good or bad. It is the satisfaction of the customers that matters. I do however have to say Microsoft has done a horrible job of advertising the Zune. Today alone, I saw several Kin commercials.