android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Well it's official - the Zune HD is a total flop

"Zune had 2 percent of the U.S. digital music player market in the first quarter, compared with 76 percent for Apple products, according to NPD Group Inc., a Port Washington, New York-based researcher"

Unless things miraculously picked up after March (which I doubt), it looks like the Zune HD was a complete and total failure on all levels. 2% market share is just BAD, no matter how you spin it.

...in other news, Microsoft is planning to cut the Zune Pass price (probably to $10)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aJFlxLUDeUoA

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

that's too bad. I really enjoy my Zune HD, but 2% is really low.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 05-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd rather be unique than a sheep.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Yeah, it is a shame. The Zune HD hardware is great, but 2% is just sad.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM

Instead of worrying about how other people like it, why dont you concentrate on how you like/dislike it.
I love my zune, and I couldnt care if others dont - I dont have it for them.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Two percent is probably a decent amount when you compare to other non-apple players.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 PM

As others have said...there could only be five of us who have bought it but Id still be over the top...I give little thought to marketshare when I buy a product...Obviously MS probably expect more in the future but I think they have a good long term plan with wp7 and zune

Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 PM

You know what would have helped? Some marketing. I can't even count how many ads I've seen for the Kin, but I could keep track of the ads for the Zune HD on one hand.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 AM

2% isn't really that great, but if their Zune HD experience has made important contributions to the potential success of Windows Mobile 7 and Zune software on smartphones then it might be considered a big success to Microsoft. The success of Windows Mobile 7 smartphones won't really be apparent until next year or at best late this year.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 AM

We all know the Zune is a failure. I think they should rename it. I love my HD but when I hear 'Zune' the first thing that comes to mind is that crappy brown brick from like '06. Decent product but outdated before it was even released. Sandisk has around a 2% share as well don't they? I wonder what the profit margin is. Zune would be smart to drop the price on that Zune Pass service. I personally hated it. Horrible recommendations.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:08 AM

Maybe they shouldn't just blindly ape the iPod monoculture in all aspects, trying to make a quick buck that way... maybe they should have opened it up a little and made the whole thing less restrictive, a bit more different from what Apple does. They can't compete with Apple's apps, browser, status, or the rest of what marketing-drones call "experience" - so why even go up against the big player? It's rather logical that the world doesn't need the same thing twice, just as a more underwhelming copy.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Zune HD needs a better marketing/advertising system, more resources probably, and it screams to be a portable multimedia device and not just a media player (which can't even work as a UMS device....)

It's a gorgeous and capable device but it has too many limitations for its price...competition nowadays requires a better features/price ratio for a software driven device...

Zune HD was born as a multidevice, but MS decided to lower the resources and throw it in the market as a "one trick pony"....so, customers preferred cheaper products with similar features or similarly priced products with more features...

Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM

As people grow increasingly frustrated with how closed systemed Apple is Microsoft goes and does the same think. If I was Microsoft I would have done the opposite and marketed that till everyone knew what it was. Microsoft should have released proper dev tools, allowed for an easier process of submiting apps (has anyone even gotten an app submitted yet), and actually thought about their competition some more. If you put a touchscreen this size on a device nowadays it will be compared to the iPod touch whether you like it or not. Microsoft needs to get there head out of the sand and change up what their doing with this device, unless it's already been done (testing how well the zune ui ports over to a touchscreen for WP7).

Old 05-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

There is some positive spin to this, believe it or not. Prior to the launch of the Zune HD, MS was 1% of the market. Since they've launched the Zune HD, they've also discontinued all of their other models. They went from 2 basical models in different memory configurations to just one model in different memory configuarions, and managed to double their marketshare.

I know, I know, it's a major reach. MS needs to decide what is more important, their Zune ecosystem, or their zune hardware. All indications are they want the ecosystem to compete with Itunes. If they'd just port a Zune software player with marketplace access to BB, Symbian, and Android, they'd gradually grow to a respectable size of the market. Maybe they'll consider this kind of approach if WP7 fails.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:30 AM

There are around 250 million mp3 players sold each year, i dont really think that 5 million zunes a year is a flop.
Players: 1g 16gb Ipod Touch, 2g 16gb Ipod touch, 3g 32gb Ipod Touch, 6g 160gb Ipod classic, 2g 1gb ipod shuffle, 1g 30gb Zune, 16gb Zune hd, 1gb Creative Zen, Sony MP3 mini disk player/recorder, Sansa c130.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 AM

pretty sure the zune has always been like this....even before the HD was out...it may have even been lower.

plus you have to keep in mind that MS is basically competeing 1 product vs 4...the HD is the only zune in stores (for the most part) apple has the shuffle, nano, classic, and touch.

still dissapointing, but expected from the lack of advertising and the overall "Apple is the best" mindset of US Tweens

Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Personally I'd rather own my zHD than one of the millions of iPods - it's better suited to what I wanted from my next player, and I also quite like having something a little different to everyone else.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Simply put, if my Zune HD breaks, I will go buy the Zune HD again (64gigs of course! ) Marketshare is just showing there are 2% smart people and 76 or whatever percent apple fanbois/sheeps.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholybull View Post
There are around 250 million mp3 players sold each year, i dont really think that 5 million zunes a year is a flop.
That is kind of funny coming from someone with 5 iPods and 2 Zunes.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM

"A total flop" is a bit of a stretch IMHO. I am not sure what MS had in mind but I'm sure they weren't expecting the masses to throw away their ipods and buy Zune HDs. I think this iteration of the Zune hardware, along with Kin and WP7, will make the average Joe aware of the Zune brand which would make it a success. Ipod is so ingrained in the minds of the average consumer as the only option for PMPs that trying to cut into their market share will take more than just two or three generations of hardware. I will agree that the ZuneHD will not do everything that you and I might want it to do(more apps, youtube etc.), therefore you and I might consider it a flop, but it could do everything that MS wants it to do.