android
  #1  
Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Nausicaa's Avatar
Nausicaa Nausicaa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
Default Rockbox CPU noise?

I'm not sure if anyone else finds it a problem or even noticed it, but can you hear a mechanical sound (soft beeps and clicks is the closest thing I can compare it to) when using the Clip to play music? It doesn't appear in the Sansa firmware. Is this even considered a problem enough to correct via software? If not, is there an easy way to get rid of it? It is a lot more apparent when listening to quieter tracks or parts with silence.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 AM
funman funman is offline
Rockbox Developer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 161
Default

I think it's a problem on all Clipv2.

The noise is
  • regular
  • independent of volume (you can hear very well when volume is muted)
  • absent when playback is paused
  • absent when listening to FM radio
  • completely absent in the OF
  • not present on rockboxed Clip+ / Fuzev2
  • dependant on the CPU frequency, the fastest the CPU is, the more frequent the noise is.
saratoga suggested it was a power management issue rather than a DAC problem, if you have an idea on how to track down the problem suggestions are welcome (here or on rockbox forums/irc).
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Nausicaa's Avatar
Nausicaa Nausicaa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 65
Default

I don't think its absent when the playback is paused. I hear a distinct 'fizz'. Its happily nonexistent while traveling as the background noise cover it well. Is it on the clip v1 as well?

My version is 26241-10052. Is there a way to alter the CPU frequency? I looked in the debug menu and I'm not smart enough to figure out where it is.

I should have mentioned: Thanks for all your (Rockbox developer's) hard work. I bought an iPod mini because of you guys, and have been using it for three years. Rockbox makes the player for me, if it has Rockbox, I buy it. Although I jumped the gun on the D2, and its been sitting unused because of the horrible touchscreen (It took $250 to convince me to never buy another touchscreen product again, haha). I have other iPods and refuse to buy another Apple product unless it has Rockbox on it, and Zune isn't even an option because of the lack of Rockbox.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 05-26-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
funman funman is offline
Rockbox Developer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 161
Default

You're right, some noise is still present when paused, but not the regular "tick".

Clipv1 is all right afaict
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Rockin Munki's Avatar
Rockin Munki Rockin Munki is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: England
Posts: 15
Default

It's not absent in Rockboxed Clip+ either. While I haven't heard a "regular tick" there are definite little beeps and whirs during playback and when paused. I don't notice them while playing music but only audiobooks and podcasts as they are much quieter and have more silence. It's not ruining my player but it is a bit annoying sometimes.
__________________
Putting Crapple iPods in their place since 2008 with:
COWON D2, the Sansa Clip and now the Sansa Clip+ with Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 220
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Kenaneu Kenaneu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post
Clipv1 is all right afaict
I hear tons of noise during playback of quiet passages on both my Clip v1 and Fuze v1. This noise is absent on the Clip+ (other than when paused/navigating folders, etc.).
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Artmuzz's Avatar
Artmuzz Artmuzz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Munki View Post
It's not absent in Rockboxed Clip+ either. While I haven't heard a "regular tick" there are definite little beeps and whirs during playback and when paused. I don't notice them while playing music but only audiobooks and podcasts as they are much quieter and have more silence. It's not ruining my player but it is a bit annoying sometimes.
Hmm, I cannot say I hear any noise, beeps or whirs when I play music on my Rockboxed Clip+. How I know is because when I play certain tracks that have a quiet middle bit there doesn't seem to be any noise.

So I am happy to say the noise is absent on my Clip+


Art
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Hirsch2k Hirsch2k is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20
Default

I also noticed beeps when using fade in/out on play/pause with rockbox on my clip+
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 AM
orby orby is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post
I think it's a problem on all Clipv2.

The noise is
  • regular
  • independent of volume (you can hear very well when volume is muted)
  • absent when playback is paused
  • absent when listening to FM radio
  • completely absent in the OF
  • not present on rockboxed Clip+ / Fuzev2
  • dependant on the CPU frequency, the fastest the CPU is, the more frequent the noise is.
saratoga suggested it was a power management issue rather than a DAC problem, if you have an idea on how to track down the problem suggestions are welcome (here or on rockbox forums/irc).
furthermore, noise is different for different codecs. (i used the attached files for testing)

I hope this problem can be solved sometime - some tracks are unbearable to listen to with rockbox.
that makes me switch to OF, but then again navigation and all the comfort and functionality of rockbox is missing.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Silence Tracks.rar (1.74 MB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
orby orby is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Default

can someone please answer this question:

- is there no noise at all when using clip+ OR sansa v2? that is _really no noise at all_?

thank you for answering. :-)

Last edited by orby; 08-19-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 08-18-2010, 05:16 PM
dispose's Avatar
dispose dispose is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: -
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirsch2k View Post
I also noticed beeps when using fade in/out on play/pause with rockbox on my clip+
Me too. That's why I have fade in/out turned off. It would be really nice if it could get fixed.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

I don't like the fade in and out.....if I want to pause it, then it should pause.....and if I want it to play, then it should play!
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
dispose's Avatar
dispose dispose is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: -
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I don't like the fade in and out.....if I want to pause it, then it should pause.....and if I want it to play, then it should play!
I get your point, but the issue here is the CPU noise...
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispose View Post
I get your point, but the issue here is the CPU noise...
Fair enough! I don't hear it.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 AM
dispose's Avatar
dispose dispose is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: -
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Fair enough! I don't hear it.
Are you sure? Try enabling fade in/out, and then pause/start a track multiple times. I hear a slight beep 3 out of 4 times I do this. Very weird.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 AM
orby orby is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
can someone please answer this question:

- is there no noise at all when using clip+ OR sansa v2? that is _really no noise at all_?

thank you for answering. :-)
anyone..?
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

I hear a faint noise between tracks on the clip v1, itís there as well during play back but I can not hear it unless itís during low passages. BTW it doesn't bother me considering all the functionality I gain.
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramůn

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM
orby orby is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Default

of course it can only be heard in quiet passages.
i listen a lot to pieces for solo piano. in quiet passages of some pieces, at least for the clip v2, it's really unbearable.
you speak of a clip v1. is the clip+ / sansa v2 different, concerning this noise?

i consider buying one, if this is the case.

i hope more people can help me.

thank you, WalkGood, so far
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 AM
jsmaye jsmaye is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
of course it can only be heard in quiet passages.
i listen a lot to pieces for solo piano. in quiet passages of some pieces, at least for the clip v2, it's really unbearable.
you speak of a clip v1. is the clip+ / sansa v2 different, concerning this noise?

I only hear a little <beep> or <chirp> when pausing or powering off, so merely listening to low passages shouldn't be a problem - it doesn't happen during playback or moving track-to-track.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
dispose's Avatar
dispose dispose is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: -
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmaye View Post
I only hear a little <beep> or <chirp> when pausing or powering off, so merely listening to low passages shouldn't be a problem - it doesn't happen during playback or moving track-to-track.
True. You're talking about a Clip+, right?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.