android
Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Default Cowon J3 or Sony X1050

I can't decide which one to get... Can someone that maybe has both players tell me which one they prefer and why? Thank you, and price isn't really an issue with me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

If you want a really customizable interface and EQ settings with expandability then go for the J3.

I have the Sony and it does me - I'm not a fan of Cowon's UI but they are great players.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have both.

J3: far more codecs supported, both audio and video.
J3: larger screen. Amazing benefit for photos and videos.
J3: TV-out with accessory cable.
J3: Flash support. Play flash games.
J3: 3 stock UI styles. Make your own or download and install several alternatives.
J3: Reasonably priced for its capabilities.

X: WiFi - Slacker - Podcast updates - crappy browser.
X: Noise cancelling with included IEMs.
X: Textured case. Hard to drop.

I only pick up my X when someone asks me about it.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:54 PM

It depends what is important to you. For me the main issues are SQ, UI, and PC integration.

I have the X series walkman but have never been that impressed with its SQ - this is all very subjective but to my ears the X is too bright. I find I have to dull the treble down quite a bit and crank up the bass to get anywhere near the sound I want - I recently bought the new A series hoping for something better and although the A series looks far better, the sound is even brighter. So I have decided to give cowon a shot and have ordered the J3. If the sound is what others say it is then I'll sell my X and A series. I have been a loyal Walkman supporter for a long time now so i'm very interested to see how the cowon performs.

You will have noted though that the X comes with pretty decent earphones whereas the J3 doesn't. So if you don't have your own decent earphones then you will definitely need to buy a pair if you get the J3.

The noise cancelattion on the X and A series works well, but I don't travel that much so is not a big deal for me.

From what I can see from the youtube videos J3 UI certainly doesn't look as polished and smooth as the X series UI. But at least with the J3 you get far more UI customizing options

In terms of PC/Mac integration, I guess each mp3 player has its own quirks etc in that regard. Having owned walkmans for a while I have it all down pat and a system that works perfectly for me. Not sure how that is going to go with the Cowon player but will see.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Olley - which one in your subjective opinion has the best SQ - X or J3?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bob... It's all about the headphones to me. Listening to same music on both devices is limited by the X not doing lossless except in WMA (I think) whereas the J3 give me FLAC and WMA and AAC/M4A (not lossless), OGG, MP3 and a few more. The J3 has a 95db S/N ratio, 64 hours music playtime, bluetooth when I want to go wireless, and so on. The X just doesn't add up to its price without apps like email to take advantage of it Wifi.

Another odd spec difference... Sony X: 5mW/channel output. J3: 29mW/channel output.

Subjectively, for only SQ I like the J3. Just by a little, though. It might be its ability to better drive my best headphones.

Last edited by Olley; 05-24-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Interesting - Cheers. I do hear what you are saying about the headphones factor.

This will sound dumb but I assume the 5mW vs 29 mW means that the J3 is a lot louder?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
This will sound dumb but I assume the 5mW vs 29 mW means that the J3 is a lot louder?
It certainly sounds that way. The J3 will drive some computer speakers that my X won't.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Cool. Sorry two final questions re the J3:

1. when scrolling through artists, does it have an alphabet type list like the walkman or ipod touch - or do you just have to scroll right through?

2. can you set a whole album as a favourite or just individual songs

Cheers.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It has a text search. Enter a name and it'll find it. Takes a little longer than a quick jump to the alphabet letter section of a long list. You've also got an efficient slider bar on the right. Slide or tap to a relative position in the list.

As for favorites once you activate the marker you can tap on each file you want one-by one before tapping it again to stop adding to favorites. Once you have some marked as favorites you can remove any one at a time or all at once.

When you try to select a folder/artist/etc, and not a single song you get a red "can't do that" icon.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Cheers

Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 PM

Alright, thank you guys. I think I will be getting the J3. I'm just going to wait for ABI to review it before I make my final decision.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
1. when scrolling through artists, does it have an alphabet type list like the walkman or ipod touch - or do you just have to scroll right through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
It has a text search. Enter a name and it'll find it. Takes a little longer than a quick jump to the alphabet letter section of a long list. You've also got an efficient slider bar on the right. Slide or tap to a relative position in the list.

No alphabetized scrolling ! That sucks hard especially in a little slow UI

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
No alphabetized scrolling ! That sucks hard especially in a little slow UI
There is nothing slow about the list scrolling of the J3. The screen is superbly responsive. You can tap the slider bar on the right to go instantly to any relative section of a list. With alphabet sort you still have to slide through all the files starting with the same letter. I can find any song from 5000 as quick on the J3 as I can on my Touch.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
With alphabet sort you still have to slide through all the files starting with the same letter. I can find any song from 5000 as quick on the J3 as I can on my Touch.
The J3 has like a search box feature ?i don't know about the itouch but in Sony and Creative Zen Mp3 players if you have an album for example called "Yanni - The hits" or something its is much faster to use alphabet scrolling and you are the Y letter albums with like maybe three clicks and yes you have to slide through all files starting with the same letter to find the one you want then but it is pretty quick, if you seen Zune HD UI videos you will know what i mean......

Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've got a Zune HD, two generations of iTouches, the Sony X, etc... I know what you are trying to say, but I have the J3 right in front of me and it's no problem to sort through the 2,000 or so songs I put on it. The Touch is a little nicer for word search though as it looks to have pre-indexed all the songs and show more precise results with each new letter you enter. Knowing the artist, album, genre, etc., obviously narrows the search to a smaller list.

Search strategies used by all these players probably deserve a unique thread. I'll just summarize by saying I am not bothered when searching for a specific song on my J3. I find it quick enough.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
The J3 has like a search box feature ?i don't know about the itouch but in Sony and Creative Zen Mp3 players if you have an album for example called "Yanni - The hits" or something its is much faster to use alphabet scrolling and you are the Y letter albums with like maybe three clicks and yes you have to slide through all files starting with the same letter to find the one you want then but it is pretty quick, if you seen Zune HD UI videos you will know what i mean......
Yes, it has, like what olley said before

Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I have both.

J3: far more codecs supported, both audio and video.
J3: larger screen. Amazing benefit for photos and videos.
J3: TV-out with accessory cable.
J3: Flash support. Play flash games.
J3: 3 stock UI styles. Make your own or download and install several alternatives.
J3: Reasonably priced for its capabilities.

X: WiFi - Slacker - Podcast updates - crappy browser.
X: Noise cancelling with included IEMs.
X: Textured case. Hard to drop.

I only pick up my X when someone asks me about it.
I am getting the J3 soon. Where can you find alternative UI styles?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
I am getting the J3 soon. Where can you find alternative UI styles?
Look in the Cowon S9 forum. Give it awhile and you can expect to see some that are made to take advantage of the J3's features like microSD and speaker.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Just got the J3 today, I love this thing. Nicest player I've ever had. This is a real winner. Sound quality is superb.