android
Old 05-23-2010, 01:27 AM

Default Life v1.1 & v1.2 updates

My first app. Not a killer app, but I have always found this interesting.
Basic instructions are contained in program, click help screen to bypass, it is self explanatory after that.
The images are simple not elaborate. There is a delay setting which can be used while 'stopped'. The purpose of the delay is to enable the 'action' to be observed, zero has no delay. Exit with home button. Stop may seem unresponsive but it is caused by the delay. While stopped automata may be added/removed.

Of course it could probably be faster, but for what reason?
It could have more elaborate images for buttons but I don't see a reason.
The code undoubtedly can be improved, I have as yet basic knowledge of this device, though I have coded in Delphi etc.

Please advise on bad technique or where it could have been simplified etc. etc. etc. I cannot find any bugs but it is 'written' that somebody else will.
I hope you enjoy it (for a little while anyway).
I did notice that overwriting text in background colour did not write in exactly the same place and left a faint image, something wrong there, so I changed it.
As a starter try a pattern of 'T', which will give about 110 generations.

ps. The icon is the screenshot as well

Update
v1.1 clears the Mini Grid on Start then displays the current Cursor content on Stop, ready for additional editing.
v1.2 New 'Step' function that permits seeing the interim stage of births & deaths that will occur after the current generation, plus readme file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LIFE-v1.2.zip (51.6 KB, 547 views)

Last edited by Donone; 08-31-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: New version

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2010, 03:15 AM

This is really nice! Saw this game on some kind of console made by thinkgeek.com and thought it seemed interesting, and here you go and bring it to the X-Fi2 soon after, awesome.
Is there any way to win it? Say by reaching a certain life count, or is it purely to see your population change, it's mesmerizing!

And as of now I have only found one thing you could call a bug, the zoomed in screen is not updated throughout the game, not even after you've stopped it. So you have to move it away and back to see the new layout in zoom, though you can still interact with the big grid via it.

Nice work!
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the kind words Habhome.
I toyed with the idea of the zoomed screen following and decided that it might slow it, also since it is vision only while running, no point. However, it should be cleared when Start is pressed for best effect. It is updated if you move it, while stopped, over an area with automata in.
I shall look at that further.

No I am afraid to say that all apps need not be winable. You are right the only task you could set yourself is how many generations, the letter 'T' will give about 110 before stabilizing.
I suppose you could call this eye candy when sat in the car park waiting for somebody.

ps The zoom screen was actually for big fingers not small eyes.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 AM

My first app. Not a killer app, but I have always found this interesting.
Basic instructions are contained in program, click help screen to bypass, it is self explanatory after that.
The images are simple not elaborate. There is a delay setting which can be used while 'stopped'. The purpose of the delay is to enable the 'action' to be observed, zero has no delay. Exit with home button. Stop may seem unresponsive but it is caused by the delay. While stopped automata may be added/removed.

Of course it could probably be faster, but for what reason?
It could have more elaborate images for buttons but I don't see a reason.
The code undoubtedly can be improved, I have as yet basic knowledge of this device, though I have coded in Delphi etc.

Please advise on bad technique or where it could have been simplified etc. etc. etc. I cannot find any bugs but it is 'written' that somebody else will.
I hope you enjoy it (for a little while anyway).
I did notice that overwriting text in background colour did not write in exactly the same place and left a faint image, something wrong there, so I changed it.
As a starter try a pattern of 'T'.

ps. The icon is the screenshot as well

Update
v1.1 clears the Mini Grid on Start then displays the current Cursor content on Stop, ready for additional editing.

v1.2 New 'Step' function that permits seeing the interim stage of births & deaths that will occur after the current generation, plus readme file.

Unable to upload file. Forum problem.

Last edited by Donone; 08-31-2010 at 03:35 AM. Reason: New version

Old 05-29-2010, 03:13 AM

erm, no link?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:15 AM

I have a post on the forum above this. I am afraid that when I tried to upload the zip I got a fail. I am awaiting a response, to find out what is wrong. I cannot upload or download but don't know why.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donone View Post
I have a post on the forum above this. I am afraid that when I tried to upload the zip I got a fail. I am awaiting a response, to find out what is wrong. I cannot upload or download but don't know why.

Dear Donone this is because of a server change(well this is what i am hearing) for ABI. THey are still fixing up some problems that occured with this change

Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 PM

Thank you jbob182. I am patient.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 AM

Patience has been a virtue.