android
Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 AM

Here's why this thread is still alive. People are still posting in it! LOL!

I'm yet another one that this unfortunate 'event' has happened to. It's been a good few months now though, I just started using my HTC Desire HD phone as my primary daily music player. It beats my S9 in the scrobbling department, but loses big to the battery and sound quality department.

What should I do with my S9? Everything else is in tip top shape, just this stupid power button / slider! I still have it in the unit too. I haven't attempted pulling or prying it out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calv45 View Post
Same problem.Quick solution, completely remove button and your left with stick.Looks a little ghetto but works perfectly and will take you 10mins.Just remove the 4 screws at each corner,remove button and close.
I've taken the button off but i cant work out how to turn it back on using a pokey device.

Why am I so retarded?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Because you were born that way?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 PM

Some more photos of this would be great...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Same thing happened to me and im going crazy!

so how do u open the player? it looks like there are 4 black circles but no way to unscrew them . I have the s9

ill never buy a cowon again . any suggestions for a new player?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayv1038 View Post
Same thing happened to me and im going crazy!

so how do u open the player? it looks like there are 4 black circles but no way to unscrew them . I have the s9

ill never buy a cowon again . any suggestions for a new player?
Welcome to abi, sad to hear of your troubles ... if your player is less than a year old cowon will fix it for free (if you live outside of the USA, the warranty is up to 2 years in some countries). Cowon's are very good players, just like any other product somethings can break, if taken care of they last a long time as I have a i7 that's 4 + years old and it still works great.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 AM

My powerbutton broke yesterday (one hinge), i pulled it out and just switched it around, i might get used to it, give it a try :-)

Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Hahaha. It's funny, it's the same thing that happened to me. When I first got the play I was paranoid about firmware updates and all the horror stories about people bricking their S9s (although I'm pretty sure through their own fault). I'm kind of okay with the first failure being something like this. Had it about 1.5 (maybe) years, broke the forward button 2-3 weeks ago by dropping it, and snapped the little piece of the hold button 2 days ago. Opened it up and just took off the hold button, but I'm pretty sure I could glue a little something to fix it, just too lazy. The switch is easy enough to reach with my nail (I don't have long nails... scares me someone would use an exacto knife for this lool...). The only issue is that it will be a little more exposed to the elements until I fix the switch. Works fine in every way. I hope you guys who took off the hold switch actually unscrewed the player and didn't just force it off... It's very clear what the problem is if you do it properly. It makes me realise what I was doing when I pretty that hold/on/off switch so hard sometimes (out of OCD to make sure it was on hold, the same way I press the alarm switch way more than necessary on a clock).

They would have designed the part a little more ruggedly, but overall I'm not terribly upset. It's pretty much what happens with any tactile button on any device that gets more than usual pressure. Only reason we don't all break buttons on a keyboards after a year or so is because we see the letter immediately and never put real pressure on the keys. Makes ya think I think Cowon almost encouraged that behaviour tho with the spring mechanism on the off/on and how you had to hold it for a second or two. Made you feel like you had to give it a little more pressure than necessary, which is the hold reason the pieces so consistently break on the side of turning it on (if you reset the switch, replace the hold switch, you'll still be able to move the switch to hold lol). At least if I'm understanding the issues of other users properly.

PS: If you don't know how to open the player... take two seconds to google a guide :P The little black circles are just stickers on top of screws. You can take them off with a needle, but you need a really (really really) small screw driver, so you might need to ask a friend if you don't own tools for this type of thing.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Hahaha. It's funny, it's the same thing that happened to me.
Heh how lame, the same exact thing happened to me the same day as you... and that is after sending it for repair 1.5 year ago for broken "Previous Button" but at least back then it was on warrenty. Guess now I'll have to open it and remove the button. I wouldn't mind too much but if that mean I'll no more be able to set it on hold, it's gonna piss me off since I won't be able to use it in my pocket anymore.

That's extremly stupid from Cowon to render a 280$ unit worthless because of a 3-5$ part

Old 11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

RMA = 47.00

A week turn around, and stupid tracking.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 PM

haven't read this thread but want to tell my solution
Diassemble player and remove power button. Now u need a Chupa Chups:-) see attached picture
Attached Images
File Type: png s9_pwr_btn.png (15.5 KB, 114 views)

Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM

WT!! i just broke the on/off/lock button of my s9.. guess i have to remove this button and follow the other guys solution to this problem.. This is the common problem of the s9 unit.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersoul View Post
WT!! i just broke the on/off/lock button of my s9.. guess i have to remove this button and follow the other guys solution to this problem.. This is the common problem of the s9 unit.
Hehe, glad to count you in the club buddy :P

Finaly while I was at work 2 months ago I brang my tiny screwdriver and removed the 4 caps hiding the screw, don't even try to put them back afterward anyway they're useless.. then remove the 4 screw so you can pop the bottom part out of a few millimeters just to be able to remove the button without disassembling everything or even removing the cover completely. Was much easier and faster than i thought. Now everything works like before. It's just a little tricker with the finger to reach the power-on/hold button but it's totaly doable.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 AM

It seems to be year of "Breaking Power Button".....mine is broken too couple of days ago..I really dont know how it happened..it was working fine b4 i had dinner, when i came back n tried to start it again, it was gone..slider was not working at all.
So i opened the player(OMG..its hell lot of delicate..somehow it took almost 25 mins to open all d screws), i can c d broken button and the broken part...and i removed the button completely from the player..n as i opened the player..i coudn't resist myself to clean the LED screen as well...
Now im using S9 without power botton..it kinda look weird n cheap...but cant help it..
I am planning to buy J3 16gb soon but what disappoints me is J3 doesn't have any additional features apart from external memory...n i loose the superchic look of S9 too...D3 is way to costly and the reviews are not that great...is any other player from Cowon hitting the market?? should be upgrade to S9/J3..???

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaDee View Post
I am planning to buy J3 16gb soon but what disappoints me is J3 doesn't have any additional features apart from external memory...n i loose the superchic look of S9 too...D3 is way to costly and the reviews are not that great...is any other player from Cowon hitting the market?? should be upgrade to S9/J3..???
To me it's fairly simple, if your S9 still works then keep it until it completly dies or if you can sell it at a decent price as you'll gain nothing apart minor improvements on the J3, none being about the most important part which is the sound quality. SD cards finaly got cheaper, now it can be worth it to get a 16-32Gb SD card to add extra memory on ur 16-32Gb J3. In Canada I looked very quickly and could get a 16Gb SD at 20$ or 32Gb at 55$ but on sale at 40$. I wouldn't consider paying more than 40$ for 32Gb SD card but I like the idea of having 2x32 on a Cowon rather than only 32.. since my whole music collection is 75Gb and I hate having less than half of it on my player. That was the only advantage of my previous iPod Classic 80Gb, at least I could store it all. For that reason I miss the HDD players.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 AM

Hi all,

The power/lock switch on my S9 broke a couple of days ago. I've managed to fix it with some superglue and a little bit of metal from a paperclip as support. However since opening the device the touch screen and all the top buttons have now stopped working.
i.e. Before everything worked fine apart from the power switch and now nothing works apart from this switch.

Does anybody have any idea what I might have done to cause this? I'm rather desperate to get it fixed quickly myself as I will be doing a lot of travelling over the next couple of weeks.

The only idea I've had is that since the inside of the back cover is covered in foil (shielding?) perhaps it's suppoed to make some ground conntacts somewhere and it's no longer tight enough...? Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Redneck Moderator

Did you unplug the ribon cable that goes through the circuit board just above the power switch. Sometimes these will accidently get bumped out of place and you wont notice it. That will be controlling the touch screen. There is also another ribbon cable that connects the top tactile buttons but that one is a bit more difficult to nudge out of connection.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Guess what folks, my switch just broke the AGAIN! No way I'm paying $50+ to get it repaired again. Looks like I'll open up the player.

Question: How many people here have tried Melee3's method? It seems like the most practical one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melee3 View Post
My powerbutton broke yesterday (one hinge), i pulled it out and just switched it around, i might get used to it, give it a try :-)

Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM

I was wondering the kind of luck you guys have with cowon's RMA? I have submitted two now and have yet to receive any kind of response. The last one I submitted was over a week ago. My screen under the glass is broken, and I still have not gotten my power button fixed, so that as well....

Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mf1232 View Post
I was wondering the kind of luck you guys have with cowon's RMA? I have submitted two now and have yet to receive any kind of response. The last one I submitted was over a week ago. My screen under the glass is broken, and I still have not gotten my power button fixed, so that as well....
I didn't have any problems with the RMA service (besides the absurd price ).

I did a quick Google search about your problem and conveniently found this if it helps at all.

That guy sounds extremely lucky to have gotten a brand new unit for $87!

And if anyone cares about my situation, I half-fixed mine! I managed to (read: by accident) reposition the plastic piece inside the slider (the four-pronged thing) so now the switch works, only problem is it can't go right, haha. So I have no hold function. Oh well.