android
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 PM

Personally, I don't fault them for taking this approach on the J3 (which is my first Cowon player, so I don't have any prior player experience to compare to).

Why make an assumption about what the user would want the alphabetical sequence to be... as opposed to "obeying" whatever the user has put into the tag field?

In my own case, I very consciously edit BOTH the artist and title tag fields in my collection (about 6500+ files) to move those "irrelevant articles" to the end of the field, preceded by a comma. I do it myself, and the J3 lists reflect my field values.

So I have "Beatles, The" in my artist tags which is what I want for this particular group. But if I'd actually wanted "The" to be at the front of a given artist, I would want the J3 to honor that format just as I had it in the tag. Same with song titles, where I also move "The" to the end of the track name field preceded by a comma. This is my own editing.

What about "A", "An", and other assorted articles? Should they be ignored or not by the J3, like "The"? Personally, I feel that none of this decision process should be up to the J3. It should be up to me.

So I'm quite satisfied, and have no complaints... because tag fields and their usage is up to me and how I've built them, not to the J3. The J3 simply alphabetizes what it sees. Perfectly acceptable to me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Well, I'm no expert and I don't know if it's a convention or not, but Winamp and MediaMonkey both ignore the leading 'The' too.

Last edited by selectortone; 01-20-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 AM

The J3 is having seizures (i.e. it hangs and has to be reset) when skipping to a track that is encoded in FLAC 24bit/96KHz format. Hardware limits or software, anyone?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXVI View Post
The J3 is having seizures (i.e. it hangs and has to be reset) when skipping to a track that is encoded in FLAC 24bit/96KHz format. Hardware limits or software, anyone?
Convert that 24-bit to 16-bit......problem most likely solved.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Indeed, the J3 of course supports neither 24bit, nor 96kHz.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:33 AM

^ Wow, double fail!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
^ Wow, double fail!
why is that? can you tell the difference? does it make such a difference. is it needed at all? who uses 24/96 flac files anyway? furthermore, which "decent" player supports those files and why?

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
why is that? can you tell the difference? does it make such a difference. is it needed at all? who uses 24/96 flac files anyway? furthermore, which "decent" player supports those files and why?
"audiophiles", I think.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 AM

James444 is just trolling. That's usually my duty.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 AM

frak, didn't see the invisible sarcasm tags "".

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre View Post
This thread is for anyone who finds bugs with the operation of their J3.

1. Scrubbing the timeslider when music is playing tends to freeze up my J3.
-Hitting the reset button on the back restarts your J3 with no data loss but it's an annoying glitch.
Just bought the J3 a couple of weeks ago with fw 2.23 built in, then installed the Chakra and Aero Music, then it happened 2 or 3 times that scrubbing the timeslider with FLACs the J3 did freeze..

I tought it was Aero, but now I'm reading this thread and considering the time you wrote this list, I should assume this issue happened also with cowon player original application.. am I right?

Cheers
Gagliem

Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Ok, about the freezing of the J3, I think it's not a problem related to the timeslider, but something related to passing the finger across the amoled screen with flash apps...

..the same happened when I tried to test a flash game loaded into the J3 (Fish Tales), it happened once, but moving that fish across the screen freezed the J3, so I had to reset.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagliem View Post
Ok, about the freezing of the J3, I think it's not a problem related to the timeslider, but something related to passing the finger across the amoled screen with flash apps...

..the same happened when I tried to test a flash game loaded into the J3 (Fish Tales), it happened once, but moving that fish across the screen freezed the J3, so I had to reset.

Using "FishTales" I think I should know how the freeze happens:
at the end of each level, a certain sound is played...
... if I'm moving around in that moment, often the player freezes, so I'm guessing what in common it could have with the timeslider scrubbing freeze... maybe the pre-loading of an audio track, while I'm pressing the finger on the screen?

I reported it to Cowon in the J3 Q/A section...

Last edited by gagliem; 03-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:14 PM

1) known time bug

2) [New Music] -> [1 Day] doesn't work. Gives me my whole music collection despite me having added songs yesterday..! It's a very useful function and it's extremely annoying not to have it.
Note that it used to work (or it worked once..!) but no more.

On top of that battery is extremely limited (recharge every three days, maybe 4 hours of play every day, not much screen use) and erratic software behavior (to be fair it's frozen a few times but I never had to re-set it...).

Firmware is 2.23 by the way.

EDIT: just updated the firmware to 2.25 and no fix.

Last edited by Pierre; 03-30-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Newly reported bug (or "feature"?) in 2.25: there now seems to be a maximum number of of 40 separate year buckets shown in the Music -> [Years] browse.

If you have more than 40 distinct years in your music collection tags, you will only see the first 40 of them with Music -> [Years].

I've backed off to 2.23 again, where there is no such maximum on [Years].

Hopefully they will restore the "no maximum" as they used to have. There doesn't seem to be an real reason or justification for implementing a displayed maximum of 40 years when analyzing the user's music collection when they never had such a maximum limit until now.

Problem reported to Cowon. Others should do the same, so that they realize they DO have a problem.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
2) [New Music] -> [1 Day] doesn't work. Gives me my whole music collection despite me having added songs yesterday..!
No problem on my J3, both with 2.23 as well as 2.25, as far as [1 Day] is concerned.

[1 Day] show exactly those files I copied over today.

[1 Week] shows nothing, which is correct.

[1 month] shows what looks like my entire collection, which is certainly not true if this is supposed to show music added within the last month . The majority of my collection was copied to the J3 quite a while ago, much longer ago than within the past month.

[Etc.] shows nothing. I don't know if this is supposed to be music added longer ago than 1 month, but if so then this is incorrect.

Anyway, [1 Day] certainly seems to work fine for me, both in 2.23 and 2.25.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM

DSperber, do you have a MicroSD card in..? I'm thinking it could be the reason for my woes as I only put new stuff on my external storage, not the internal...

Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
DSperber, do you have a MicroSD card in..? I'm thinking it could be the reason for my woes as I only put new stuff on my external storage, not the internal...
I do have a microSD card inserted (32GB+32GB).

Can't recall if that [1 Day] list was for music on which particular location... but probably both, as I was doing some FLAC-replacement of previous MP3 files, so I deleted some MP3 files and copied new FLAC files. I think I did this to both internal and external storage, but can't remember precisely. However I'm sure it was to both.

But I just checked again, and I no longer show anything in the [1 Day] list. It's empty.

And everything that was there the other day has now moved into the [1 Week] list. And, by the way, it is for both internal and external storage.

Again, everything else shows up in the [1 Month] group. If that's supposed to be music between 1 week and 1 month, I don't know why that would be... instead of everything being in the [Etc.] group (which I would have assumed would be everything older than 1 month. Perhaps it reflects some change to folder dates, rather than actual internal music files in those folders... which I know I have not reloaded there in many many months for the great majority of my music collection.

Anyway, for sure the [1 Day] and [1 Week] sub-groups do absolutely appear to be working properly on my 2.23 firmware J3, for both internal and external storage.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:35 AM

Firmware 2.25:

Plugged into a Mac for charging, turned off the Mac and re-started the J3. ALL my music that was on the internal memory is now gone. I've only got the external 8GB left.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Firmware 2.25:

Plugged into a Mac for charging, turned off the Mac and re-started the J3. ALL my music that was on the internal memory is now gone. I've only got the external 8GB left.
I use firmware 2.23 and I've never run into this problem when plugged into any mac at work or at home. Strange that it would eliminate your music or make it unreadable.