android
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No i's on us View Post
Any suggestions? As it was obtained mailorder a bit of a hassle to return (hopefully for exchange, will be quite p/o'ed if have to wait for rma process), but i don't see any other option (other than perhaps to return it outright).
Cowon's RMA process with them is actually remarkably quick. Don't know about your online retailer, as you didn't say who that was (but if it's JetAudio via Amazon then it's actually Cowon).

Go to this page to "apply for an RMA", where you describe fully your story. You should hear back almost immediately that "your RMA request has been registered".

Then in all likelihood a few minutes later you'll receive another email advising that "your RMA has been approved" and providing instructions on how and where to send it to them (they're in Irvine CA).

Based on my own personal experience (not something fatal like your "brick', but in my case the clock stopped working as soon as the unit was powered on although it started working as soon as the unit was powered off), it should only take a few days after they receive it for them to start work on it and come to a conclusion (either repair or replace) and close it out by returning a repaired or replaced unit back to you promptly.

You should have it back in your hands maybe 10 days after you mail it to them. Your only expense will be the postage sending it to them. At least that was my story.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but their RMA handling is really excellent. They also have an online RMA status page for your case, advising of what's going on at eachstep of the process. The also have an RMA email address direct to the technician's team in Irvine, where you can communicate with them personally if you have something special to say (in my case, I had unwittingly left my 32GB external card inserted in the problem J3 that I had shipped to them for repair/replace. They removed it from the "bum" J3 and inserted it into the new J3 that they returned to me.)

Sounds like this would probably be a speedier RMA process than your online retailer's, but maybe not. Anyway Cowon America certainly can be trusted.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks for your message.

I should have mentioned I'm actually in Canada and bought it from NCIX.com. I've already contacted ncix, and they've provided an rma #; i plan on returning it tomorrow and will keep my fingers crossed i get a working j3 back soon....hoping the next one is not so fragile (my daughter is 9 yrs old, was very exciting getting the j3 as she loves the sound quality on dad's s9)

Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Smile Brick anyone

Opened my new J3 tonight and charged it for a couple of hours. Safe eject. Then turned it on and was in awe of its beauty. Then decided to boot up windows XP under a virtual pc on my Mac. Didnt realise but the usb wasnt in properly as it was a tight fit. Cord came out. Unit no longer booted past about 20% of the initial bar.

I looked around everywhere and came across many similar horror stories.

In the end I used Disk Utility and did an erase, basically a reformat of the J3 with the FAT32 file structure.....and it now works!!!

Whoo hoo. About to listen to some sweet tunes.... fingers crossed.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Hello !

I've tried putting new UCIs today on the J3 as I was getting a bit bored by the classic interface, it was a good idea but there is a big bug with covers and music UCIs...
When I tried putting Curve music S9 UCI in the J3 the covers were really degraded, I then tried cube music modern for S9 and the covers were way blurry, absolute sh** !

I tried deleting all the mainmenu and the covers in musicDB running with only the music.swf but the result is the same !!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thib View Post
Hello !

I've tried putting new UCIs today on the J3 as I was getting a bit bored by the classic interface, it was a good idea but there is a big bug with covers and music UCIs...
When I tried putting Curve music S9 UCI in the J3 the covers were really degraded, I then tried cube music modern for S9 and the covers were way blurry, absolute sh** !

I tried deleting all the mainmenu and the covers in musicDB running with only the music.swf but the result is the same !!

Interesting, it's seems as if you struck a nerve deep within the root,(the insides)
Hmmm as I read on I know what Not to do, that's for sure...

Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Interesting, it's seems as if you struck a nerve deep within the root,(the insides)
Hmmm as I read on I know what Not to do, that's for sure...
I think I explained wrong, the default music UCI is working fine, the covers are nice.
But when I apply any other music UCI the covers are blurry or degraded.
Well, it's not much of a bug but it should be working like the S9 so there's definetely something wrong. The custom mainmenus however are perfect .

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Don't know if this is a bug, or just an omission from the ui:

External memory card not showing up in settings/information, only the internal memory usage. Although not a serious error/bug, in my opinion it is a feature that should be there by default.

Frank

Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 AM

I also got a minor issue, which could be called a bug as well:

After opening a video not supported by the J3, the rest of the UI behaves very laggy, especially when scrolling. Going back and opening a video that is supported, fixes it though.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 AM

I'd like them to integrate the microsd card more seamlessly into the J3 by having the option of the device showing only one 'combined' drive. This would make it work more naturally with media management software such as (*gasp*) windows media player.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That's a Windows issue, not a J3 issue.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That's a Windows issue, not a J3 issue.
I had assumed that as (currently) changing the USB mode in the system settings changes how the J3 interacts with the OS the SD issue would be able to be fixed on the FW side of things too?

If it could it would seem a more efficient means of fixing the issue than waiting for each software developer to implement the change on their end (which I'm not confident many will do anyway).

Mind you, I've already suggested to the guys at Media Monkey that it would be a handy option if they could do this in future versions, just covering all bases.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryfryguy View Post
I'd like them to integrate the microsd card more seamlessly into the J3 by having the option of the device showing only one 'combined' drive. This would make it work more naturally with media management software such as (*gasp*) windows media player.

How would you know where your files are being stored?
Suppose I want file to be stored in sd card not internal memory than I can't do that if only one memory location is shown by windows.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit3192 View Post
Suppose I want file to be stored in sd card not internal memory than I can't do that if only one memory location is shown by windows.
I use MTPFS on Linux. This file system driver shows the Clip+ SD card as a folder named "MSC" inside the main memory. I believe it will do the same for any player with memory extension. No firmware modification is needed, it is only a PC software UI choice.

Attached Images
File Type: png clipplus-fuse-browse.png (16.6 KB, 5 views)

Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
I use MTPFS on Linux. This file system driver shows the Clip+ SD card as a folder named "MSC" inside the main memory. I believe it will do the same for any player with memory extension. No firmware modification is needed, it is only a PC software UI choice.

Not really of any benefit(that is just a drive inside a drive).
Two drives are not a problem for me.
Both drives ejects at same time and I know where I am putting my stuff.
I replied to "complete integration" in explorer in the first place (which does not make sense for me for a removable media).

Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit3192 View Post
That's why I said

"by having the option of the device showing only one 'combined' drive."

I'm not suggesting this as the only option as I agree being able to determine exactly where files are placed on the device is useful.

For me not being able to interface easily with common media management software such as Media Monkey (and even windows media player) is more of a concern than knowing exactly where the files are. That's why I'd like the 'option' of being able to do either.

Having an option to do this at the FW side seems to make more sense as it would require one change on Cowon's end, rather than X number of changes on the software side of things. Mind you, I'm a casual user so perhaps it doesn't make more sense if you're the one who has to do it .

Old 01-16-2011, 09:55 AM

It isn't really a bug, more likely an omission: on my D2+, when browsing Artists, 'The Beatles' are listed under 'B', 'The Rolling Stones' under 'R' etc., etc. On the J3 they are all lumped together under 'T'.

I can't believe Cowon meant to do this, more likely they just forgot to implement this useful feature in the J3 firmware.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 AM

I think you need to have a look at the tagging on your Mp3s. It seems "T" is for "The" and somehow it has not been removed.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
I think you need to have a look at the tagging on your Mp3s. It seems "T" is for "The" and somehow it has not been removed.
'T' is indeed for 'The'. Believe me, I'm intimately familiar with my tags after initial freezing problems with my D2+.

My point is that the D2+ cleverly ignores the 'The' and lists the artists as I described ('The Beatles' are listed under 'B', 'The Rolling Stones' under 'R' etc., etc.) whereas the J3 doesn't.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Indeed, the D2 was the only Cowon ever that ignored the leading "The" in the artist tag, to the best of my knowledge. No idea why they didn't keep that feature on their newer players.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 PM

I emailed Cowon and asked them why they didn't implement this feature in the J3 firmware and guess what: no reply