android
Old 08-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Also, have you formatted w/the Panasonic Formatting Tool?
What is the actual effective difference derived from using this program rather than say FORMAT built into Win7?

I've read about it on their web site, and their recommendation to use it over the "generic tools and utilities", but there's nothing specific that describes WHY their formatting tool is "better"?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
What is the actual effective difference derived from using this program rather than say FORMAT built into Win7?

I've read about it on their web site, and their recommendation to use it over the "generic tools and utilities", but there's nothing specific that describes WHY their formatting tool is "better"?
When you use this to format the microSD card it allows a faster read/write. When the generic windows formatting is used it seems to slow the cards access down.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
When you use this to format the microSD card it allows a faster read/write. When the generic windows formatting is used it seems to slow the cards access down.
Well why/how should this be the case?

If it's just a "sector size" issue (e.g. formatting in 16K units vs. 32K units), well that's a variable you can manually set when using FORMAT, so if one value were "better" than another you could do that even with FORMAT.

Of course I always though that this particular parameter only affected units of storage, to "waste less storage" if you were storing lots of smaller files, since "1-sector" was the smallest unit of allocation.

And then I thought that this parameter might be required to be larger, if there were some driver-related issue concerning "maximum number of sectors on a device" or something like that. If you had a 2TB drive with some maximum number of sectors, then you'd have to make those sectors 32K or 64K each in order to stay below the maximum limit.

Of course if there is some inter-sector overhead (e.g. like an "inter-record gap" of some number of bytes wasted as there is on analog devices like tape) or just overhead bytes "wasted" in the formatting of each sector, such that the fewer the number of sectors (i.e. the larger each sector) then the less wasted overhead bytes on the device... well I can see that as well.

But as far as "making the device work faster or slower"... well I just don't see how this particular parameter could make any difference at all in the physical transfer speed to/from the card itself. Unless there is more to this story than I think.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I have noticed huge losses of time from the clock. 20 minutes overnight, 4 hours over a few days... I mean crazy.
Ok... this post of mine was time-stamped about 1:15 hours ago. I had just reset my J3's clock to be accurate at that time... 03:30PM.

I then put it into "sleep" mode.

I just woke it up, and its clock is EXACTLY WHERE I LAST SET IT!!! It still shows 03:30PM!!! Hasn't moved at all!

Now normally I don't use "sleep" mode very often, but I myself have never seen THIS particular symptom (though I know there were posts here about setting the clock at midnight 00:00 and having it remain there, even when transitioning between 12h and 24h clock formats).

But this "clock sticking" symptom, at a random time, is something I've not seen.

Ok... just reset the clock to the current time and reverted back to my "Smart Widgets" main screen. Then I waited a few minutes, obviously expecting the clock to progress forward each minute. Well... it has not moved at all! Still shows the time I set back in Settings->Time.

Ok, just changed to 24h mode, to see if that made any difference. Nope. None. Zilch. Zero. Nada.

Back to 12h mode, reset to current time. Still no difference.

Powered the J3 off, and powered it on. Still no difference.

Appears the clock has stopped working entirely!!!

NOTE 1: if I change from the digital clock to the analog clock, I can see the second-hand simply frozen pointing at the 12. It is not moving at all.

NOTE 2: when I play music, the digital elapsed time value increases every second, and the blue graphic "progress gauge" advances toward the right. So the hardware clock is obviously working. It's only the digital/analog clock widgets that seem to have died.

NOTE 3: I've tried reverting back to firmware 2.21, but with no effect. Same when I reinstalled 2.22. No effect.

Last edited by DSperber; 08-21-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Ok... new clues on the "clock widget" problem.

Turns out the clock itself is actually working, but only if I power the J3 off!! It seems to start working correctly again as soon as I power the J3 off. When I turn the J3 back on there is a new time shown on the clock, having advanced by as many minutes as I left the J3 powered off for.

But as soon as I power it on, the clock stops progressing again as demonstrated by the clock widget not moving the second hand (in analog) or the seconds (in digital).

And I don't need to be in Smart Widgets mode to see this. I can also be in Counting Text mode, where the digital clock (including seconds) is shown on the top row. Again... no progress here either.

Might I have unwittingly pushed a button (e.g. "hold" or "sleep" or something) that caused the clock objects to now NOT work, but to suspend counting?

I know that seems crazy, but it's obviously not a hardware issue (with the clock itself). It's clearly a software issue (with the clock widget, or the clock driver/API not feeding the clock widget properly for some reason... when the J3 is powered on. But it works perfectly when the J3 is powered off.

What setting could do that?

Any ideas?

On a flyer, I tried deleting \System\PARAM.CFG, which is supposed to reset the unit back to factory defaults. Made no difference.

Interestingly, my Smart Widgets setup was retained... suggesting that it really didn't fully revert to factory defaults for everything, although some System Settings that I'd changed HAD reverted to factory. Obviously the Smart Widgets layout must be held in some other file, thus preserving it.

Anyway, my clock still isn't running when the unit is powered on. But it updates just fine when the unit is powered off.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Ok, decided to try a complete FORMAT... just in case there was some messed up file somewhere that affected the clock objects when the J3 is powered up. Even used the Panasonic SD format program.

Unfortunately, no effect.

Clock still stops when it's powered on, restarts when it's powered off.

And since it's now clear to me that it does not appear to be a software problem (since all folders/files were rebuilt from scratch to empty storage from 2.23 firmware during that first boot after FORMAT), I think this may genuinely be a hardware problem with the clock failing to operate when the unit is powered up... and that only a replacement J3 will solve the problem.

Amusingly, I was going to give one more thought a try... pushing in the RESET button on the back while powering on the unit. That trick seems to have worked with another J3 owner when the unit simply would not boot after some problem during a connection to his laptop. However I just can't get my J3 out of the Cowon leather case! There are three very tight metal clips that hold it in, and they are VERY TIGHT. This device will simply not come out (unless there is some trick that will un-grip it). I may need to send the whole thing back to Jet Audio and get another case (along with another front/back set of plastic sheets). Very amusing.

I've sent a message to Jet Audio through Amazon. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow with their recommended course of action.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 PM

Chatted with Cowon online today about the time-of-day clock failure. They had no explanation for it other than some strange hardware failure.

They provided me information as to how to initiate an RMA.

Filled it out and heard back from Cowon shortly that the RMA was approved. I will mail it to them tomorrow.

Should have it repaired or replaced in a few weeks (including, presumably, replacements for the front/back plastic protective sheets I have installed on my J3, plus the Cowon leather case it currently lives in and which I cannot for the life of me separate from the player itself... in case they damage it themselves when trying to remove my J3).

Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Default Same bug as day 1 (just varying times)

OK, so you are listening to music on your J3, you place it on the desk and leave it there.

After a while the screen dims. Then a while later the screen switches off.

No problem right ! Your music keeps playing and to get the screen back on you hit the power button once. Sometimes ! ! !

Every now and then after the screen switches off completely:

1.Music keeps playing but no matter what button i press the screen will not come back on.

2. Music stops suddenly and cant get screen back on.

3. Today i was recording a lecture, screen went off. At the 45 minute mark i went to check my recording. Screen would not turn on. After finally getting it going again i found that the recording had stopped at 32 minutes.

Something weird happens when that screen switches off.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM

^Screen should turn back on by touch...the S9 does.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5peed View Post
^Screen should turn back on by touch...the S9 does.
Check your settings to see if you have the screen disabled on hold, then it won't go on when you touch it.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Its a well-known fault.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 AM

My J3's screen doesn't turn on when touched - that's exactly how it should be. It's not a bug/flaw, it's by design. It turns on when the hold button is pressed.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
My J3's screen doesn't turn on when touched - that's exactly how it should be. It's not a bug/flaw, it's by design. It turns on then the hold button is pressed.
Thank you, as I didn't know this. I consider it a plus - not a bug.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 PM

Indeed - on the J3 Cowon did finally away with their silly power sliders. The power button is a lot better than their usual slider, in my opinion - easier and faster to use. Especially the way they made it that it controls power, hold, and screen-off in one elegant configuration.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just wish the FF/Rev and Vol rockers were in the opposite position, even tho it's designed to be in a pocket upside down - and that corrects that IMO. I never pocket it anyways - it's too beautiful to hide!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
My J3's screen doesn't turn on when touched - that's exactly how it should be. It's not a bug/flaw, it's by design. It turns on when the hold button is pressed.

Correct.

But what happens when that screen turns off - Is a bug.

Sometimes: Music stops, J3 wont turn back on no matter what button you press (except for the reset button) or stops recording.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Great if you live in Norway and are in gloves, finding a small button[also albumart play/pause].

HOLD should be 'ALL', 'TOUCHSCREEN ONLY' & 'PHYSICAL BUTTONS ONLY'.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowonj3owner View Post
Correct.

But what happens when that screen turns off - Is a bug.

Sometimes: Music stops, J3 wont turn back on no matter what button you press (except for the reset button) or stops recording.
I see, seems I misinterpreted the post above - I didn't encounter any such bug yet. Not sure that results from a hold function bug - sounds more like a general crash (file or file system corruption, or similar) when you put it this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5peed View Post
Great if you live in Norway and are in gloves, finding a small button[also albumart play/pause].
Even more reason for buttons - since you can't operate a capacitive touch screen with gloves.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Even more reason for buttons - since you can't operate a capacitive touch screen with gloves.
S9 activated with gloved finger[J3s screen is more reactive too].

Surely there should be the option. Button is still tiny to press.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM

Just got a J3 16GB two days ago, first day of use simply involved loading a few videos and music files via PC (win XP pro), not huge amount of memory used by these files (maybe 2 GB maximum). Removed J3 (safely, with with 'safely remove hardware') and everything worked fine for about 5 minutes.

While music was playing, my daughter unplugged the headphones, music played over built-in speaker, then she plugged headphones back in, music played over headphones as normal....however, screen was blank and unit would not respond to any screen or button presses, music kept playing at same level, unit otherwise not responding. Only thing that did anything was long pressing on/off, and unit turned off....and then would not turn back on.

I can confirm now that unit is officially bricked. Will not turn on, will not reset with button on back, will not register at all when plugged in to computer (including trying to find it using device manager or regedit).

I'm very disappointed, it was actually meant to be my daughter's and she had been looking forward to it. I've been happy with cowon product's before (D2 and S9), but am concerned about quality control when a unit bricks with first day of use.

Any suggestions? As it was obtained mailorder a bit of a hassle to return (hopefully for exchange, will be quite p/o'ed if have to wait for rma process), but i don't see any other option (other than perhaps to return it outright).