android
Old 05-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Why can't Zune firmware updates be made OTA?

I've been wondering this for a while: Why can't Zune firmware be updated OTA?
Is there some limit of the Zune firmware that absolutely requires the client? Or is it something else?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 PM

I would guess that it would be impossible for the zune to update itself, while staying connected to the network.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Buddy

Same reason many devices don't do that. A wireless connection is a low quality, low reliability connection, and not one we can trust while performing an upgrade (which talks back and forth to the PC client during the process). Moonrakerone's point is also correct, in that certain components that are required during a wireless connection, need to be shut down during an upgrade.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The only devices I have that can do that have been phones (most of the time), my Kindle, and several internet connected devices that just happen to be connected over WiFi. BlueRay players, WDHC, DirectTV DVRs, etc all seem to manage updates over their WiFi/satellite/cellular wireless connections. Heck, every laptop in the house also handles update over WiFi. Seems to me (update over Wireless) to be an easy trick to master. Just saying....

Welcome back, DaveMac!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Buddy

Well, don't forget your PC is just updating silo'd components. Zune firmware updates are a new OS image on your device...

Thanks for the welcome back - glad to be home for a bit.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Well, don't forget your PC is just updating silo'd components. Zune firmware updates are a new OS image on your device.... Cheers, Dave.
Ok, I'll give you that. My HTC Hero just got a new OS (android 2.1) and they made us download and install it from our PCs. The Hero has a firmare update option on-board though, as if they could have pushed it out over the web.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Well, don't forget your PC is just updating silo'd components. Zune firmware updates are a new OS image on your device...

Thanks for the welcome back - glad to be home for a bit.

Cheers, Dave.
So downloading and updating are not separable?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Buddy

Again, it depends on what is being updated. We usually fix a bunch of issues with various parts of the stack in addition to releasing new features, so in many cases that requires exiting to a FW update mode...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Again, it depends on what is being updated. We usually fix a bunch of issues with various parts of the stack in addition to releasing new features, so in many cases that requires exiting to a FW update mode...

Cheers, Dave.
Ok, thanks for clarifying, Dave.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM

why dont you just have the device download an sort of instaler file while connected through wifi, then install it from the device's memory, that way a poor connection wouldn't risk bricking the device.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
why dont you just have the device download an sort of instaler file while connected through wifi, then install it from the device's memory, that way a poor connection wouldn't risk bricking the device.
Is it honestly that big of a deal though to just plug your zune into your computer for an update that happens once per year? I really don't see the point in the zune team wasting their time trying to get this to work when I, along with many others, would rather see them working on other things such as apps or the firmware update itself.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM

I've got a Garmin 310XT running watch(computer)...it *only* updates by wireless (ANT+)...
I think there really is not a real great reason why it must be this way...it's just the way they designed it from the outset...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Well most of the updates have also had a software update and firmware update, so its easier to package them together.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm sorry to bring it into the subject, but the psp downloads an installer file. It works. Its just a matter of preference of the company who distributes the updates (in this case, Microsoft)

Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Cheers, Dave.
It could be done without tethering to the machine, The Zune software automatically sets a certain amount of space aside for system use. This is space on the device that cannot be used for media, providing plenty of space to store a new image. Once the new image is downloaded it would be able to reboot into recovery mode to update the firmware. Most mobile devices already do this if they have a network connection.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobes View Post
Is it honestly that big of a deal though to just plug your zune into your computer for an update that happens once per year? I really don't see the point in the zune team wasting their time trying to get this to work when I, along with many others, would rather see them working on other things such as apps or the firmware update itself.
i dont really care, i was just offering a solution. To be honest, i would prefer to plug it into my computer, the connection is much faster, so it would take less time, besides updates dont come out often enough that its a huge hassle, and im on my computer anyways when i find out about updates.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Buddy

Ya, nobody is saying that with some engineering work it couldn't be done. As you suggest above, we have bigger fish to fry - the current systems works just fine.

Cheers, Dave.