android
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 PM

Default anybody have an idea of the true battery life?

when i leave for work in the morning it shows green 6:20 am, fully charged. by the time i leave work 3:30 am the battery image is almost empty, maybe at the 10 percent max left area.

to conserve the battery i set the brightness to low, turn off wifi.

i do occasionally play a couple games, listen to the hd radio, and watch maybe 10-15 mins worth of video over the day, and listen to podcasts sometimes.

i mean i can make it to the end of the day doing what i do, just surprised it gets real low after a little over 9 hours.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM

I got a whole weekend of use out of mine on one charge, although I usually don't let my battery discharge all the way.

What are your battery consumption patterns?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The true battery life is what you get for battery life. Zune HD's spec'd battery life is only good for comparison purposes and only if you follow the use patterns they mentioned.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 PM

With WIFI off and listening to music files only the battery will last me around 15-18 hours. Now thats with the Zune playing without being touched or woken up from sleep mode.

Waking it up and changing a song will use more battery and I have also noticed using the radio uses more battery. The radio drops usage down to around 8-10 hours.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 PM

Playing games really kills the battery on mine...as does wifi

Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLasher View Post
With WIFI off and listening to music files only the battery will last me around 15-18 hours. Now thats with the Zune playing without being touched or woken up from sleep mode.

Waking it up and changing a song will use more battery and I have also noticed using the radio uses more battery. The radio drops usage down to around 8-10 hours.
Wow, that's not my experience at all. With just music playback (MP3 256-320, Hiphop EQ, display on high, timeout 1 min), and wifi usage here and there, I'm getting anywhere from 28-34 hours, depending on how much wifi I use. That totally sucks for you dude

Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 PM

On a fully charged battery it can last little more than 4 hours because I mostly use my ZuneHD to browse the web... Wifi + displaying white images on the OLED= murders the battery.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 AM

Zune HD battery is one of the major hardware weaknesses together with wifi reception. It isn't a problem if you use it as a classic walkman device (e.g. rarely touch and look at the screen), but, it is a problem when you always interact with it...especially playing games and watching videos.

So, we can't really speak about true battery life because it highly depends on the usage of the device.

I don't blame MS for battery life, but i believe that they should have included a wall charger with such an expensive device.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM

supposidly the radio (FM or HD) will kill the battery in 3 hours. so if you do use the radio for some of the day, that will do it, as well as games and videos.

I use my zune for at least 9 hours a day, and i can easily go a couple days with mine, but i do music (not much radio at all) for about 9 hours, and check e-mail and use the internet for maybe 30 minutes a day, my brightness is set at full, backlight at 1 minute, and wireless on only when i am at home. I am very pleased with my battery life.