android
Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM

This 400mAh battery might fit (it's thicker by 1.9mm).

This bat: 35mm x 30mm x 4mm

Sansa bat: 35mm x 28.7mm x 2.1mm (from earlier post)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-...825602659.html

how much wiggle room do we have on the thickness? somebody mentioned there's double-sided foam tape we could get rid of?

--edfardos

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 AM

The actual specs for the Sansa Clip+ battery (BAK 323036P) are max 35.5mm x 30mm x 3.3mm. I have a Clip+ splayed out on my desk and just looked this up.

The double-sided tape is a black piece of square foam stuck to one half of the circuit-board-facing side of the battery to cushion it against the NAND chip. It is 2mm thick. There is perhaps 1mm of freedom in battery width and a little over 2mm in length - it's hard to tell exactly because of the inward slope of the rear portion of the case.

The microsd port is on the half of the circuit-board-facing side of the battery that doesn't have the bit of foam, and there is only about 0.5mm of clearance between the battery and the port.

On the backside of the battery there is a thin sticky layer that sticks to the black plastic case, so there is effectively zero clearance there.

Here is a shot of the circuit board from the rockbox wiki.

In short, there's a decent possibility your battery will fit the case, although it might be a tight squeeze to close it back up. However, the BAK 363830P (330mAh) from the original Clip definitely fits and is available here. Someone else on the Sandisk forums successfully put a Clip battery in a Clip+. The BAK 303038P (300mAh) from the Clip Zip also works and can be found on eBay.

Last edited by sapincher; 02-07-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
My clip+ is in the mail, but I'm proactively trying to find a battery replacement solution, preferably with higher capacity, since it appears there's a tad more room in the case if you remove the foam tape, and go a bit longer in length.
Best to not try to fill every bit of space with battery. The batteries swell up when they get old, so gadget designers are told to leave a little bit of space inside the device to allow for this. Otherwise I could imagine a mess resulting, maybe even dangerous (lipo batteries have been known to catch on fire).

Sometimes I think of glueing a small cellphone battery to the back of a Clip, with small wires going into the player through drilled holes. You'd have to take off the pocket clip. A 1000 mAH battery would run the Clip for well over 24h. Total thickness/size would be comparable to the original player with the pocket clip still on it.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Or, if what you want is 24 hours of charge, get the new Clip Sport, which is rated at that (25 hours, I believe).

Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 PM

Hi everyone. I have a Sansa Clip Plus. The battery doesn't hold much of a charge anymore and I'm looking to replace it. Unfortunately, the OP's link to the $5 battery is no longer working. Does anyone know where I can go to get an inexpensive replacement battery for my Clip Plus?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The BAK 303038P battery (see above) is available at aliexpress.com for $6.99 with free shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-...999.261.yoyM4w

Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
The BAK 303038P battery (see above) is available at aliexpress.com for $6.99 with free shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-7V-...999.261.yoyM4w
I've bought batteries from AliExpress for another application with good outcome. But note they are in Guangdong China, so if you are in the US you should be prepared to wait a couple weeks for delivery.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM

Default 2-Wire vs 3-Wire Battery?

Hello,
I looked up the battery listed on AliiExpress, and it has two wires, red and black. The original ClipZip and Clip+ have a third middle wire, blue. Any problems noted just soldering in the two only?

Old 03-27-2016, 10:31 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Third wire is usually a thermistor. On the e200, the player wouldn't boot without it. Not sure on newer devices.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:58 AM

Default Without thermistor it won't charge ...

@OwnDrummr: in one of my clip+ with a dead battery, I had removed all of the three wires from the board and connected three new ones to a cell phone battery which I wanted to glue to the outside of the case.

This was before I learned about the thermistor that is housed in the original battery.

(With Rockbox) the clip+ didn't charge the external battery without an thermistor being connected to the middle pin on the board, no matter whether I connected just plus/minus or additionally the third pin to the cell phone battery, which might or might not have an internal thermistor.

In summary, I don't believe the clip+ will charge your battery if it only has two wires.

BTW: on another refurb with a dead battery I have managed to just pinch off the +/- connection between the genuine battery and the tiny pcb the thermistor is mounted on. Connecting the cell phone battery with just those two points works fine, i.e. it is charging normally. I have drilled a small hole in the back of the player for the wires and taped the battery to the clip of the player. Due to the bigger capacity of the battery, I now have a much extendend battery life.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Without thermistor it won't charge...

@JohnBTheTenth
That sounds intriguing! Could you detail exactly what and where you "pinched" off. And, did you unsolder the dead battery first? And what of the thermistor Blue wire? Did you in essence utilize the dead battery's thermistor circuit, and just tap in live red and black wires from your new battery to the old pcb?
Thanks!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:31 PM

Default Battery Replacement Clip+ and ClipZip DIY FYI UPDATE

While poking around for batteries, etc., on the web, I ran into a remarkable post on HeadFi dot org, from a year ago. It addresses, with great photos, replacement of a battery in a Clip+ (link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/538544/clip...ing-battery/15
(Scroll to Post No. 27 on that page).

He removes the thermistor pcb entirely from the spent battery by desoldering its positive and negative connections to it, leaving the red/blue/black wires still attached to the Clip+ (should also work for ClipZip). The new battery has just red and black wires, which are then soldered to the respective positive and negative tabs of the old thermistor pcb. This is then snugged up to the tip of the new battery, held in place by the clear yellow Kapton tape (or some other), wires formed to fit, and installed into the player. The thermistor is still functioning, but now on the new battery.

Couple things, just from a practical standpoint. The battery from AliExpress is about $6-8, and about $2-6 shipping, with a 14+ day delivery, from China (YMMV).
On eBay, a seller offers exact replacement batteries for the Clip+ and ClipZip for about $16, with free shipping from Texas, within U.S. Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361521033555...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
He also ships worldwide (almost all), with applicable postal rates.
So, for U.S., price wise it's a bit more, but much faster delivery.

Of course, replacing a battery in this fashion entails THREE solder points (red, black AND blue), very close together, within the player. So, some skill is required there. I notice in the photos of the post, that he isolates the solder points with (I assume) parchment paper. So--two ways to achieve the battery replacement.

Best of luck!

Last edited by OwnDrummr; 03-29-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: More detailed shipping

Old 04-03-2016, 04:02 AM

Default Removing the battery, leaving the thermistor intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnDrummr View Post
@JohnBTheTenth
That sounds intriguing! Could you detail exactly what and where you "pinched" off. And, did you unsolder the dead battery first? And what of the thermistor Blue wire? Did you in essence utilize the dead battery's thermistor circuit, and just tap in live red and black wires from your new battery to the old pcb?
Thanks!
Sorry for the delay. No, I did not unsolder anything, because I don't feel comfortable soldering both on the clip+ pcb nor the thermistor pcb.

I peeled off the plastic foil on the battery (the orange stuff that can be seen in the head-fi thread you pointed to). Then I cut/pinched off one of the two metal stripes that go from the pcb into the battery (see the attached pictures). I tried to be quick with the pincer in order not to cause a short in the battery.
It is easy to solder a new battery to those two metal stripes.
So, yes: "I did in essence utilize the dead battery's thermistor circuit, and just tap in live red and black wires from your new battery to the old pcb"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCB_top.jpg (30.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg PCB_bottom.jpg (29.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Schematic.jpg (45.7 KB, 12 views)