android
Old 05-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Default Got the X!

Hello,
Now that I'm officially part of the X family I just wanted to post my immediate experience with it.

A little background. My experience with Sony mp3 players was the E507. A little 1gb device that I thought sounded great. I wanted a player with much larger capacity and great sound. What had me intrigued was the Zune HD. I liked the idea of it being for music and media; could care less about the apps. I also really liked the interface and the way the artist backgrounds change and such. What had me concerned was the reports about not really being able to customize the sound. I also had my eye on the Sony X but decided to take a chance with the ZHD and was hoping the sound on it was to my liking out of the box. Unfortunately (or actually fortunately) the sound was not for me. I always found myself wishing I could boost the bass here, a little mid there, and the presets didn't cut it. Shipped it back shortly thereafter and paid extra $$ for the X. Totally worth it!!

Enter the X: The sound has a nice warm feeling to it and my ears didn't fatigue the way they did with the ZHD. I can't describe it but the sound feels like it's full. It just sounded great out of the box with no adjustments but if need be they are there. I havn't tried the slacker or the video on it but will try that soon. I'm sure I will have some questions if they arise.
I wouldn't say my experience with the Zune hd was bad. It definitely has potential. The interface is very nice and easy to use. However, MS really needs to put a customizable EQ on it. The sound wasn't horrible but the Sony allows for much greater flexibility soundwise, and as I mentioned the warm sound of the Sony allows me to sit there for long periods of time without the ear fatigue. It's just in a different league. Oh, forgot to mention I just use Windows explorer to drag and drop the music with the X.

BlueZ71

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM

congrats on the purchase, you will def enjoy the X, I am so far. let me ask you one thing, can you hear the noise when there is no music playing?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 AM

Good stuff man, if you want any help on videos go check out these threads

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=47675
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=44583

Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad your enjoying the X BlueZ71, as I waited too long to get one myself - but it was actually worth the wait. I love it and it's pretty much what I use now, exclusively.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Ascariss - Are you referring to the hiss others have mentioned? I really havn't noticed anything yet. It could be that my earphones aren't that sensitive or I just didn't notice it. I'm using some Sony IEMs that I got about 4 years ago and Sennheiser Headphones that aren't considered the high end audiophile models. I'll see if I pick up on any noise or hiss. If there is I certainly can't hear anything while the music is playing.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Glad your enjoying the X BlueZ71, as I waited too long to get one myself - but it was actually worth the wait. I love it and it's pretty much what I use now, exclusively.
Coming from you, with all the DAPs/PMPs you have had, this is really saying a lot IMO.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When you finally get a chance lestatar I'll let you check it out - you'll love it.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Congratulations on your X.. Like you I don't really notice much hiss - my S639 did hiss, though, with my ex500s. Enjoy!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 AM

have you tried using the supplied headphones? the hiss is quite evident then, at least for me.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM

Ascariss,

Sorry I havn't replied sooner. It's been a hectic week and I havn't had much time to really play around with the X. I'll try this weekend and see if I notice any hiss.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 PM

no problems, it is not urgent, whenever you have time.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Ascariss,

ok...this weekend I had time to really sit down and listen to the X. I used both the included iems as well as ones that I have. The iems and headphones I have are not considered audiophile quality but I think they sound pretty good. I did not hear any hiss with the included ones or the ones that I usually use. I then listened to a full cd of The Who Who's Next and thought I detected slight hiss with the included iems. So if the hiss is there it's every so slight for me. Also, I never hear it when the music is playing. The device sounds great. Hope this helps. I saw the other thread about hiss and it seems to be a real issue. I do think it's there but it's not enough to for me to really notice without trying to. I'll have to try some really high end cans sometime and see if that makes a difference.