android
  #1  
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 PM
EnzoTen's Avatar
EnzoTen EnzoTen is offline
ABI Founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,384
Default Anyone Getting a KIN?

I just bought a KIN ONE for fun and it should arrive tomorrow. A lot of tech bloggers are unfairly comparing it to a smart phone. While I dont think that it will be huge in any category of phone i think it will reach a certain niche. I will give you a full review when i have had a chance to carry it for a bit.

But anyone else getting one? Perhaps someone falls into that semi-smartphone nice.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Sorry, all my stuff "In The Cloud", plus nothing to download to the device (games, apps, etc) make it a ***fail*** to me personally. It might have a niche market, and I hope your review is more positive than my opinion sounds now.

Enjoy, hope it's a fun device in the long run.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Sorry, all my stuff "In The Cloud", plus nothing to download to the device (games, apps, etc) make it a ***fail*** to me personally. It might have a niche market, and I hope your review is more positive than my opinion sounds now.

Enjoy, hope it's a fun device in the long run.
There's nothing wrong with having everything in the cloud (and ironically, I note that you have a Droid), but I can see the Sidekick niche being filled by the Kin.

I, on the other hand, have no use for a Kin since I have a Pre Plus. Though the Zune on the device looks intriguing. Enzo, can't wait for the review.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM
TechyguyDR's Avatar
TechyguyDR TechyguyDR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 317
Default

The smart phone comparisons are quite fair given that they require a smart phone data plan. I actually like the phones themselves, but having to pay $30 for data is disappointing. I was hoping that they'd have their own plan. But Microsoft and Verizon dropped the ball in that respect.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
The smart phone comparisons are quite fair given that they require a smart phone data plan. I actually like the phones themselves, but having to pay $30 for data is disappointing. I was hoping that they'd have their own plan. But Microsoft and Verizon dropped the ball in that respect.
There's also the unfortunate fact that these two phones are on Verizon, and that there's no point in getting these two Kin phones over the (extremely cheap) Palm devices on Verizon, especially because the two Kins require a smartphone data plan.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
EnzoTen's Avatar
EnzoTen EnzoTen is offline
ABI Founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
The smart phone comparisons are quite fair given that they require a smart phone data plan. I actually like the phones themselves, but having to pay $30 for data is disappointing. I was hoping that they'd have their own plan. But Microsoft and Verizon dropped the ball in that respect.
It still disagree with the smartphone comparison- Its not necessarily about price. i know a lot of people that done want a smart phone. Some people i talk to are buying it because they want something simple- not a big screen phone.

But yeah, i do agree that it should have a cheaper plan.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
There's nothing wrong with having everything in the cloud (and ironically, I note that you have a Droid), but I can see the Sidekick niche being filled by the Kin.

I, on the other hand, have no use for a Kin since I have a Pre Plus. Though the Zune on the device looks intriguing. Enzo, can't wait for the review.
I don't see the irony, as not all my stuff is cloud based, and I can download apps and games at will. It does get certain aspects of itself backed up by Verizon & Google, but the devices are way different in most aspects.

As for the pricing plan, it's moronic that it's so expensive, considering it's aimed at a younger demographic. Not every kid or student has money to burn, and $30.00 is way overpriced.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Fallstar's Avatar
Fallstar Fallstar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 222
Default

Aren't they calling these phones "feature phones"? Not quite smartphones, and not quite basic cell phones? I don't like that Verizon is requiring a smartphone data package to go with it.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I don't see the irony, as not all my stuff is cloud based, and I can download apps and games at will. It does get certain aspects of itself backed up by Verizon & Google, but the devices are way different in most aspects.

As for the pricing plan, it's moronic that it's so expensive, considering it's aimed at a younger demographic. Not every kid or student has money to burn, and $30.00 is way overpriced.
Of course your apps/games aren't cloud-based, but everything else is (contacts, calendar, etc.), just like with the Kin (since there aren't any apps to begin with, and all the same aspects are in the cloud as they are on the Droid). Hence the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
It still disagree with the smartphone comparison- Its not necessarily about price.
I don't know; I think it would be pretty hard for average consumers not to compare the Kins to other smartphones since the pricing is about the same.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-13-2010, 12:53 AM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Kin Two - $99.99 after rebates, requires smartphone data plan, 8GB
Iphone 3G 8GB - $99.99 with no rebates, requires Iphone data plan, 8GB

Kin One - $49.99 after rebates, requires smartphone data plan, 4GB
Palm Pre Plus - $49.99 after rebates, requires smartphone data plan, 16GB

The Kin phones, IMO, are priced like Smartphones, but just don't compete. They're overpriced feature phones. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to offer Hyundai $80k for a Sonata just because I "don't want a Corvette." If I want a feature phone, I'll get one of the ones that offers comparable features, but at a cheaper price and doesn't require the full data plan.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Amusing that the Kin website runs entirely on Flash. So when Microsoft really tries to sell something, they don't try shoving Silverlight down one's throat but go with the lowest common denominator, something everyone has installed.

(Not saying that one is better than the other, just that it's amusing.)
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
kasrhp's Avatar
kasrhp kasrhp is offline
Contributing Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 805
Default

Enzo, so are we doing phone reviews here now?
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 05-13-2010, 11:07 AM
EnzoTen's Avatar
EnzoTen EnzoTen is offline
ABI Founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
Enzo, so are we doing phone reviews here now?
Sure, on occasion.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Kin Two - $99.99 after rebates, requires smartphone data plan, 8GB
Iphone 3G 8GB - $99.99 with no rebates, requires Iphone data plan, 8GB

Kin One - $49.99 after rebates, requires smartphone data plan, 4GB
Palm Pre Plus - $49.99 after rebates, requires smartphone data plan, 16GB

The Kin phones, IMO, are priced like Smartphones, but just don't compete. They're overpriced feature phones. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to offer Hyundai $80k for a Sonata just because I "don't want a Corvette." If I want a feature phone, I'll get one of the ones that offers comparable features, but at a cheaper price and doesn't require the full data plan.
I believe the Pre Plus is now 30 dollars on Verizon's website.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 05-13-2010, 07:04 PM
lip lip is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 476
Default

To really be different and get marketshare, the data plan is key...
I also think its not correct to compare these to smartphones but with such consumer acceptance of phones like the iphone, if your price is the same and the data plan is no cheaper, its a tough sell to push these products...
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
aimran aimran is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,945
Default

Apparently, Microsoft is considering putting apps on the Kin by merging it into the WP7 ecosystem. If so, the Kin will become a smartphone. Most likely, its the next generation Kin that will have apps. So it sounds like the next generation Kin is just going to be another WP7 phone or the long awaited "Zune" phone.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Adub's Avatar
Adub Adub is offline
ABI Invaluable
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: T DOT
Posts: 1,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
Enzo, so are we doing phone reviews here now?
I like the idea, not much of a smartphone guy at all, but I'm going to have to move to one eventually so reading about all this stuff is useful.
__________________
last.fm#abi ircrockboxnoobglossaryhiphopthreadhorrormoviethread
XBLive Tag: wuaffiliate
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 AM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
I believe the Pre Plus is now 30 dollars on Verizon's website.
It was. I had to open Verizon in a second tab to verify the 16GB on the Pre Plus, and saw that the price was back up to $49.99. So, the price was correct around the time of my posting. Technology prices chaing daily, if not hourly.

I think it's $0.01 on Amazon, or was.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
kin, microsoft, zune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.