android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Default does it make sense to buy zune hd when I have iriver spinn?

I have a dilemma here, I have iriver spinn 4gb which is pretty good but, the bad part is support for this product is dead (apps, games, themes etc..)

now one of the good part about iriver is that you can drag and drop music or video without the need of a program like itunes or other crap. another thing that I like is that you can record voice, even though I don't use it but it is steel cool to have it.

now what attracts me about zune hd is tones of support, free internet and very nice responsive touch screen.

is there a point for me to buy this product?

I live in Canada btw.

Last edited by nuke777; 05-12-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM

ZHD updates are very loose and don't expect to find many great games and apps...currently there are 14 games and 6 apps. We don't know when they will add new stuff.

Zune HD needs a special software for syncing files (no drag and drop). Zune HD can't record voice.

I think the only points for you to buy this product are

1. AUDIO Quality
2. GREAT Interface

Don't get a Zune HD for games and apps...don't even get it for internet (very low wifi reception)...these features are mostly considered as extras and there is no regular support for them.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM

ZuneHD internet is excelent, at my house or McDonalds ZuneHD rocks iRiver is crap...

Old 05-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

iRiver sux,..... stay away, FAR away,....

Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
ZHD updates are very loose and don't expect to find many great games and apps...currently there are 14 games and 6 apps. We don't know when they will add new stuff.

Zune HD needs a special software for syncing files (no drag and drop). Zune HD can't record voice.

I think the only points for you to buy this product are

1. AUDIO Quality
2. GREAT Interface

Don't get a Zune HD for games and apps...don't even get it for internet (very low wifi reception)...these features are mostly considered as extras and there is no regular support for them.
thanks for your reply,
what about community support? are there any apps and games or even themes from the community?

also is the wifi reception batter or worst then in psp?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 PM

I own both and the difference is night and day. I bought an 8 gb spinn to replace my broken clix2 (which I miss) and wasn't exactly thrilled with it so I picked up a zune hd. The software is a pain in my rump (although I do love the podcast support) but the device is far superior. You can't really drag and drop video on the spinn unless you're just using it as an external hard drive can you?. I have to use software to convert every video I watch on it. It looks nice but it's a pain.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 AM

Red face

We should all tkae a lesson from ur mothers, "You get what you pay for"

Just my .02 worth

Peace!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 AM

Zune HD support is terrible, in terms of what you get on the spinn, the experience is similar, imo. As a HD user, I pay very little attention to the firmware and app updates, as I really dont care, and I feel that if I do start paying attention I will always be unsatisfied and continually stressed out.

On that note, I would recommend you NOT buying the Zune HD based off of your assumptions of what the Zune HD "COULD BE" in the future, because you may end up regretting it.

Instead go to Zune.net and go look at its current feature and tech spec sheet and decide for yourself. The Zune HD has this this and that, and is it something I want, if it is, go for it, if not, wait until something that you really want and need arrives.

On a personal point, I have the HD and I love it for what it does, right now.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 AM

I think the Zune HD would be a good choice for you. There's not that many apps and all but it sounds like your alternative has far less "extras". There are many pros to the Zune HD over it. I wish they'd add more apps and junk to it but as a player by itself, it's awesome. I'd have a tougher choice deciding between itouch's many apps and support vs zune's. But the Zune excells in many areas that iriver or itouch can't get near. I'd go for the Zune HD.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke777 View Post
thanks for your reply,
what about community support? are there any apps and games or even themes from the community?

also is the wifi reception batter or worst then in psp?
1. Zune is generally locked/protected. MS doesn't allow any change except the basic syncing/managing functions inside the software manager. There are some apps/games inside the community but most of them don't meet the quality standards of the device, there is no easy way to install them and they reboot the device everytime you close them. Recently, a team of programmers managed to make an open "SDK" for Zune, so now people are able to make more powerful apps and games (without reboots on close), but all this it's at the very beginning. Currently there is a Doom port and a Nintendo Advance emulator with some working game titles for it.

2. Forget about themes...Zune HD is optimized and locked to a specific interface with certain design. The interface/Design is one of the strongest selling points for Zune HD. MS has paid so much attention to the design that it isn't really necessary to change something...check some demos on youtube to see if you really like the interface...it's a basic part of the Zune HD experience and it can't be changed.

3. I can't talk about the wifi reception of the PSP (i don't have one), but it seems very weak (especially with some older routers). In my house i can't connect at all from my room with Zune HD. (my mobile, my laptop and my desktop connect without problems with wifi).

P.s. Zune HD can't compete with any portable gaming device or ipod touch for apps and games. It has some abilities but it wasn't mainly designed for apps and games. There is no serious support for games and apps (they are considered as extras).

Last edited by Zuniq; 05-12-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM

thanks for reply guys, I think I'll wait another year for the price to drop and microsoft to fully fix their product.
for now I will stick with my spinn.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM

I have both Iriver Spinn 4GB and ZuneHD 8GB

Sound quality = pretty much same, hd has slight oomph over it but spinn is louder (still sounds better than any crapple product)
VIDEO = ZUNEHD, once again Spinn's video is great but ZHD's more crispier/clearer/seems better frame rate
UI = ZUNEHD, Spinn's UI is cool but sluggish.
File Transfer= SPINN, like you said, you can drag and drop, ZuneHD's software is pain in the apple, I used to listen to fresh music all the time with my Spinn because I could simple drag stuff over windows explorer, ZuneHD, takes too much effort because I don't sync/automated stuff.
IMAGES= SPINN, ZuneHD's image rendering sucks compare to SPINN.
WEB BROWSER= ZHD! (all though no flash, etc, it's good for checking emails/basic web surfing, pretty fast for a mobile device)

Overall= ZuneHD, it's almost like a newer version for Spinn, I used to love my Spinn till I bought ZHD. ZHD feels like a more polished version of Spinn and it looks slightier sexier

Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 PM

can't they make a pmp simelar to zune hd or ipod touch but without the bloody program that they shove up your ass. all I want is simply drag & drop devise with a quality of zhd how hard is that to ask?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanime View Post
I have both Iriver Spinn 4GB and ZuneHD 8GB

Sound quality = pretty much same, hd has slight oomph over it but spinn is louder (still sounds better than any crapple product)
VIDEO = ZUNEHD, once again Spinn's video is great but ZHD's more crispier/clearer/seems better frame rate
UI = ZUNEHD, Spinn's UI is cool but sluggish.
File Transfer= SPINN, like you said, you can drag and drop, ZuneHD's software is pain in the apple, I used to listen to fresh music all the time with my Spinn because I could simple drag stuff over windows explorer, ZuneHD, takes too much effort because I don't sync/automated stuff.
IMAGES= SPINN, ZuneHD's image rendering sucks compare to SPINN.
WEB BROWSER= ZHD! (all though no flash, etc, it's good for checking emails/basic web surfing, pretty fast for a mobile device)

Overall= ZuneHD, it's almost like a newer version for Spinn, I used to love my Spinn till I bought ZHD. ZHD feels like a more polished version of Spinn and it looks slightier sexier

where did u get an 8gb zune hd lol

Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy62 View Post
Zune HD support is terrible
Not sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about tech support/help or updates/fixes? I've had excellent support from them on numerous occasions. They replaced 3 Zunes, no questions asked. And they continue to add features, fix bugs, etc several times a year. That's excellent support if you ask me.

Quote:
thanks for reply guys, I think I'll wait another year for the price to drop and microsoft to fully fix their product.
for now I will stick with my spinn.
Aside from a few missing features, and some bugs, there's nothing to fix. What makes you think there's something broken?

Quote:
can't they make a pmp simelar to zune hd or ipod touch but without the bloody program that they shove up your ass. all I want is simply drag & drop devise with a quality of zhd how hard is that to ask?
Sounds like you want a Cowon.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Aside from a few missing features, and some bugs, there's nothing to fix.
that is still something that they need to work on.

Quote:
Sounds like you want a Cowon.
nahh, not for me.
from what I read and saw s9 and j3 touch screen responsiveness is much more inferiour to that of a zhd or ipod touch. Also there is no wifi.