android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Default What's wrong with this Sansa Clip+? It says "Writing" whenever I connect it to my PC.

I've had this Sansa Clip+ for less than a week. It already has the current 01.02.09 firmware. My computer runs windows XP.

I would like to know why when I connect the Sansa Clip+ to my PC it says "Writing" even though I am not moving, adding, deleting or renaming any file.

The "Writing" status message might seem harmless but the problem is that as soon as I disconnected the clip+ from my PC I must wait for the media to refresh which takes minutes and prevents me from using the device right away.

Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You could try to connect the player right after booting up your pc without opening any applications, then see if you also get the refresh even if you didn't add or remove any files. It might be that your player is syching with some program.

Another idea is to get an AC charger to charge the player, or buy an external battery pack such as the Lenmar Powerport Pro or Tekkeon mp1550 that comes with a power only cable. Using an ac charger or your pc and a power only cable will not only prevent the refresh cycle, but will also let you listen to the player while it charges.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 PM

JK98, these are my findings:

Step 1:
With the mp3 player turned off and fully charged, I plugged it to the USB port on my PC. The images on the screen of the player alternate between a message that says "Connected" and an image of the Sandisk logo. I then disconnected the player from the USB port and no refresh cycle was necessary.

Step 2:
With the mp3 player turned off and fully charged, I plugged it to the USB port on my PC. The images on the screen of the player alternate between a message that says "Connected" and an image of the Sandisk logo. This time I accessed the contents of the player using Windows explorer. I selected a random mp3 and played it on my computer using my default media player, Winamp. Right after I double clicked on the mp3 file I briefly saw a message on the screen of the clip+ that said "writing". I then closed winamp, disconnected the player from my USB port and this time I went through the annoying refresh cycle.

It's strange, isn't it?

By the way, I never installed the software that came with this player and the player is set to MSC mode.

Last edited by Psyh; 05-10-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't think anything is wrong, my did the same thing

i think when you play on song on the player through the pc the player some how thinks its being loaded and it updates

Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
I don't think anything is wrong, my did the same thing

i think when you play on song on the player through the pc the player some how thinks its being loaded and it updates
I think you're probably right.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:09 AM

your problem is most definitely winamp. i tested it myself and have seen that it creates it's own system files in the root of the player.

yet if i use foobar, i can play files and it doesn't write anything at all - this is because it has no support for portable devices. it just sees it as another drive letter.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Makes sense. There may actually be a tiny system file on the player that is being changed. These tiny files Windows sometimes creates and modies are very annoying.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
your problem is most definitely winamp. i tested it myself and have seen that it creates it's own system files in the root of the player.

yet if i use foobar, i can play files and it doesn't write anything at all - this is because it has no support for portable devices. it just sees it as another drive letter.
That's not true. I don't have winamp running in the background and I have the same problem when I open an mp3 with windows media player. Besides, my version of winamp is too old. It doesn't even support portable devices.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 AM

well something is creating/modifying files on your player. take a look yourself. enable the the option to show hidden files in explorer.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Get a copy of Process Explorer. You can get it from File Hippo, Cnet or similar. It's free to use. Have it running when you connect your player. It will show what's happening when you connect your player.

If any of the processes that start when you connect your player write anything at all to the player...database refresh.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM

This computer has AVG Anti-Virus running in the background. Maybe its Anti-Rootkit feature is scanning the player and writing something to it?

By the way, I only have these files in the root directory of the player:

DID.bin (hidden)
MTABLE.SYS
RES_INFO.SYS
SYS_CONF.SYS
version.sdk

along with the following folders:

AUDIBLE (empty)
AUDIOBOOKS (empty)
MUSIC (mp3s)
PODCASTS (empty)
RECORD --> FM (empty), VOICE (empty)

Old 05-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So just keep a copy of your music on your pc hard drive, then you won't have to play songs from the player's memory while it is connected and charging.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyh View Post
I've had this Sansa Clip+ for less than a week. It already has the current 01.02.09 firmware.
The current firmware is 1.2.13 - http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51524

Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
dfkt, I downloaded the current firmware (01.02.13), installed it and my clip+ presents the same problem.

I just realized that the problem occurs even if I don't access any file. As soon as I connect the player to my PC it says "writing". If I disconnect it I have to go through the mandatory refresh cycle.

Can someone conduct a similar test to see if they have the same problem??

Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyh View Post
Can someone conduct a similar test to see if they have the same problem??
Not sure what you want testing. When I plug in my Clip+ everything is fine. Just did it a couple of nights ago.

MSC mode. Windows XP. AVG not installed.

Steve

Old 05-11-2010, 12:44 PM

Same here, it only writes when it really writes, and it only refreshes the obnoxious database when any file on its memory has been altered. I'm using MSC mode drag'n'drop, of course.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Same here, it only writes when it really writes, and it only refreshes the obnoxious database when any file on its memory has been altered. I'm using MSC mode drag'n'drop, of course.
I was able to avoid the problem by switching to Auto mode. However, when I try to play a file using windows the file is first copied to a temporary location on my hard drive (that didn't happen in MSC mode).

If I switch back to MSC mode I get the "writing" problem. I noticed that if I unplug the player while it says "writing' sometimes windows will show this error message:

Quote:
Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \...\DP(1)..... The Data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere
I already formatted the memory of my clip+. I got the latest firmware. I removed the microSD card.

What could be wrong?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Psyh:

Try updating the Windows Media Player on your PC. Even if you don't use it with the Clip+, I seem to recall something about WMP versions and the Clip+. (Could be my faulty memory though.)

Secondly, what happens when you disable AVG?

Steve

Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM

I just connected the clip+ to a computer running windows 7 and as soon as I connected the player, windows showed a message saying that the clip+'s memory needed to be scanned because some file had not been completely written to it. I scanned the memory but windows said it was ok.

Is it possible that the memory of my clip+ has been corrupted in some way?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A month or two ago, I was getting that message on my Vista machine whenever I inserted a specific 4GB SD card. Most of the time it was blank. Allowing it to scan did nothing, same error next time. I think I finally formatted it, and the problem went away.

Is the Clip+ OK now?

If not, you could format your Clip+, at this point you appear to have nothing to lose. Make sure to save any files before the format.

Steve