android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Sorry for being absent guys - just checking in here from Dublin, Ireland.

I got back from ash-delayed Europe and had a week in Seattle before traveling to Australia for a week on a mix of business and pleasure (spent the weekend catching up with mum and dad in Adelaide). I then flew to the US, met my wife in SFO and flew on to Europe for a short week of meetings here. I just wrapped up meetings in Ireland today, have one more in London en route back, and will be in Seattle next week.

Sorry for being a little out of touch.

Cheers, Dave.
Dude, I think your travel budget might actually be larger than the Zune Team's advertising budget!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I think the current Z:HD still has plenty of capabilities they have not yet used, so the idea of moving on to a 2nd gen. is kind of silly..... why not just finish the 1st gen?
I completely agree here. I think it's way too early to start a 2nd gen Z:HD. The 1st gen has only been out for a couple of months! In my opinion, it would be a waste of money to build a 2nd gen Z:HD so early (but release a 2nd gen later), and it would be much cheaper to just add more and more features to the 1st gen Z:HD. Plus, we Z:HD 1st gen owners (me included) wouldn't have to buy a new player so soon.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 05-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Trust me, they have been working on the next Zune model since before the first was released. There are probably several options being considered, with the final features being narrowed down as what the market demands becomes better known. I wouldn't be surprised to find them working on a Zune tablet, especially since the courier project was supposedly terminated.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Trust me, they have been working on the next Zune model since before the first was released. There are probably several options being considered, with the final features being narrowed down as what the market demands becomes better known. I wouldn't be surprised to find them working on a Zune tablet, especially since the courier project was supposedly terminated.
That makes sense. But, it'll really piss me off if they release a 2nd gen as early as next year, and then ditch the 1st gen and release all the good stuff for the 2nd gen only, and only minor updates for the 1st gen. Let's just hope they don't do that, though.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 05-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Apple releases new iPods with slightly better specs on a yearly basis. That doesn't seem to piss off any Apple fans enough to make them give up iPods.

I won't mind a new Zune if it's features are added to the current model where possible. MS started that practice with the first Zune devices, and it was much appreciated by the early adopters.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ltra View Post
Err... the ash cloud is drifting towards the UK again; there are warnings and stuff, there might be flight problems or delays. Plus the BA strike. Just a heads up. Hope it goes smoothly for you though!
Yes, I'm monitoring it closely. I'm in Dublin right now, about to leave for the airport where I head to London. I think I'll be alright on this flight, but my flight back to the US tomorrow might be in jeopardy, based on what the BBC is saying at this point...

Also, not affected by the BA strike. Flying BMI to LHR and UA back to Seattle.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Sorry for being absent guys - just checking in here from Dublin, Ireland.

I got back from ash-delayed Europe and had a week in Seattle before traveling to Australia for a week on a mix of business and pleasure (spent the weekend catching up with mum and dad in Adelaide). I then flew to the US, met my wife in SFO and flew on to Europe for a short week of meetings here. I just wrapped up meetings in Ireland today, have one more in London en route back, and will be in Seattle next week.

Sorry for being a little out of touch.

Cheers, Dave.
I can't quench my curiosity: Do they ever show "Up In The Air" as an in-flight movie? (And if so, do they keep depression/crisis counselors available for the PAX? )

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Dude, I think your travel budget might actually be larger than the Zune Team's advertising budget!
Whoa! I've been WAY out of the loop!

There is Zune ADVERTIZING???

(My Zunes will be SO proud!)

Old 05-16-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to find them working on a Zune tablet, especially since the courier project was supposedly terminated.
When you say "Zune tablet" and " terminated" in the same sentence, you paint a creepy word picture. I can't help but wonder if those tablets the CIA issues to field operatives have a "Z" stamped on the top.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 AM

Lol Zune is exclusively for music and videos, would not be a tablet... But having a a tablet with WP7 OS is a different story.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Lol Zune is exclusively for music and videos, would not be a tablet...
Hmmm. Ipod Touch has an App store, Music store, web browser, and can play most media types. Apple made a big one and they call it the iPad. The Zune has an App store, Music store, web browser, and can play most media types. What doesn't make sense here? Sure they could add 3G data connectivity for more data access range. That won't make it a phone though. The Zune already can output to a large screen. From my point of view it would be technically easy to package the Zune HD motherboard with a 10" touchscreen and a huge battery. Maybe upgrade to the Tegra-2 chip. Push social apps a bit. Work on opening up app developement. I'd buy one.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely correct in this. Anyone who expected the Zune HD to be a static product, either in hardware or software, was fooling themselves. They were already making plans for the "next version," as it's popular to make annual updates to almost any type of mobile technology. What happens when you don't make annual updates? Just ask Nokia (who is rapdily losing marketshare in the mobile space because they failed to have a solid update ready for the flagship E- and N-Series' handsets).

Quote:
Apple releases new iPods with slightly better specs on a yearly basis. That doesn't seem to piss off any Apple fans enough to make them give up iPods.

I won't mind a new Zune if it's features are added to the current model where possible. MS started that practice with the first Zune devices, and it was much appreciated by the early adopters.
My only question is, for a sequel to the Zune HD, what can Microsoft tweek? They could add an external speaker, Bluetooth capability, or another 128MB of RAM (bringing the total to 256), which would make it a more competent overall device. An upgrade to the CPU is unlikely, given that Nvidia just threw their Tegra 2 support behind Android (they said it will be for Android 3.x). So now we're talking a very incremental update, unless we update the one last thing remaining, the OS. So that leads me to believe that the next PMP MS releases, if there will be one, will liekly be WP7 driven, so that it truly can be the Ipod Touch equivalent to phones based on WP7. This would seem to make sense as the Zune Team is moving away from in-house hardware and more to services on multiple devices.

Quote:
Hmmm. Ipod Touch has an App store, Music store, web browser, and can play most media types. Apple made a big one and they call it the iPad. The Zune has an App store, Music store, web browser, and can play most media types. What doesn't make sense here? Sure they could add 3G data connectivity for more data access range. That won't make it a phone though. The Zune already can output to a large screen. From my point of view it would be technically easy to package the Zune HD motherboard with a 10" touchscreen and a huge battery. Maybe upgrade to the Tegra-2 chip. Push social apps a bit. Work on opening up app developement. I'd buy one.
Here's where I disagree with you. MS certainly has an interest in challenging Apple in the tablet space, and they have 3 OSes to use. Windows 7 has been the confirmed one so far, but the native UI is meant for a mouse, not fingers. Yes, it supports multi-touch, but that doesn't mean it's efficient. Now, WP7 is built-around multi-touch, to include the way the UI is handled, meaning it's a direct competitor with the Iphone and thus the Ipad. So, WP7's OS is a candidate. Lastly, there's the ZuneHD OS, as you mentioned. I don't see this as likely, because the browser and app suppport is very weak. MS this past week confirmed that there will be no further updates to the Windows Mobile 6.5.3 browser (the one used on the ZuneHD). Their focus is on the browser for WP7 (which does support tabbed browsing!). Next up is how the WP7 app store is going to be very similar to the Iphone app store, IE, not an afterthought like the ZuneHD app store.

Bottom line is that WP7 is based on the next evolution of WinCE, whereas ZuneHD is based on the current version. New products will likely be integrated with the new OS, rather than the old. If Microsoft does release a new PMP, I'd expect it to run off WP7, rather than be a direct sequel to the current ZuneHD. Also, if they do get in the tablet space, they seem so far to be behind their desktop OS. So if a mobile OS was thrown in, it would likely be WP7, their new baby, and not the Zune HD's OS.

Just speculation on my part though.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess I don't see the Zune HD as something that will be held to the same hardware/history when version 2 comes out. As you said, it's a dead end. It makes more sense to me to see them merge it with the WinPhone 7 devices/OS and subsequent App store that will come. This future Zune tablet I speak of should be the latest in UI developement, with Zune marketplace and app support for wherever the biggest app development can come from. If the UI looks more like their phone UI then that's OK with me. No matter the basis it will require a big screen multitouch browser, and may support more than one (given MS's IE browser consessions to the EU).

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
I can't quench my curiosity: Do they ever show "Up In The Air" as an in-flight movie? (And if so, do they keep depression/crisis counselors available for the PAX? )
Yup, they sure do. I saw it listed on Emirates, VAustralia and United this month.

I really enjoyed it actually - slightly sad ending, but nothing too bad. I found "Brothers" much harder to watch (sadness-wise).

But anyhow... back on topic...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 PM

I love the direction that the Zune is heading, but I am writing this because I hope that Dave might be able to comment (I know you may not be able to)!

Put simply, I still can't get my head around the axing of the Microsoft Courier. I cannot emphasize enough how much demand there was for that amazing product; especially how much it would have influenced the tablet industry today.

Browsing over the comments on engadget, I am not the only one that wanted one, and I cannot think of any logical reason why it would be canceled. Was it too creative?

All I know is that this was one of the largest wasted opportunities for Microsoft to lead the pack with a new and innovative device. I have no doubt that Zune could have also been implemented into it, further adding to its' media capabilities.

I apologize for the off-topic nature of my post....it's just that I feel so passionately that the Courier would have been a runaway success. This is a sad day for innovation at MS.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJanglesAUS View Post
I love the direction that the Zune is heading, but I am writing this because I hope that Dave might be able to comment (I know you may not be able to)!

Put simply, I still can't get my head around the axing of the Microsoft Courier. I cannot emphasize enough how much demand there was for that amazing product; especially how much it would have influenced the tablet industry today.

Browsing over the comments on engadget, I am not the only one that wanted one, and I cannot think of any logical reason why it would be canceled. Was it too creative?

All I know is that this was one of the largest wasted opportunities for Microsoft to lead the pack with a new and innovative device. I have no doubt that Zune could have also been implemented into it, further adding to its' media capabilities.

I apologize for the off-topic nature of my post....it's just that I feel so passionately that the Courier would have been a runaway success. This is a sad day for innovation at MS.
The Courier would have been sweet if done correctly. Who knows what Microsoft is thinking?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celenet View Post
The Courier would have been sweet if done correctly. Who knows what Microsoft is thinking?
Maybe "Two screens and it would be very hard to match or beat the price of an iPad. Also no known app store for it. If it's an iPad style tablet people want, then we'd better re-think our approach." Just a thought.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Maybe "Two screens and it would be very hard to match or beat the price of an iPad. Also no known app store for it. If it's an iPad style tablet people want, then we'd better re-think our approach." Just a thought.
If all they are doing is trying to catch up to Apple, that's probably not a good approach anyways. The Courier offered something different. Why does it have to match the price of an iPad? If people find it useful, they will buy it.

I love my Zune HD, but there are times I wonder if it was the best choice.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celenet View Post

I love my Zune HD, but there are times I wonder if it was the best choice.
This can be said after ANY electronics purchase. I know I've almost always had some degree of buyer's remorse, since technology advances so darn fast. I think the only times I haven't had any buyer's remorse is when I intentioanlly bought something that was already considered nowhere near bleeding edge. Two recent examples for me were the Sansa Clip V2, and the Samsung Jack smartphone. I knew what they could both do, what their limitations were, and that they likely wouldn't get any better over time (although the Jack saw a massive update that made it even better).

Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The best way to avoid buyer remorse is to stay away from sites like this one. If the Zune HD was the only player you knew about, you would go on thinking you had the greatest device ever made.