android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 05-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Anybody have any idea about what's going on at Microsoft?

I'm just curious...it's been a while since Dave has posted anything, nothing's been revealed for a couple of weeks. Just a few new apps, could this be the beginning of something big being released soon? Do you think that's why we haven't heard anything? Or do you think it's just a coincidence that MS hasn't said anything?

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Zune Moderator

Well as for Dave... He's on vacation

Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, I believe Dave is still recovering from his volcano-interrupted trip recently, as far as I can recall reading...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Windows Phone Moderator

You can check his tweets - he's had basically 2 days flying US-Aust return, 3 or 4 days business in Australia - apparently his business contacts are all Australian animals - and a couple of days at home. Looks like he'll be back in US tomorrow....

Old 05-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah.. that explains it. Now I know why we haven't been hearing anything .

Retired Devices:

Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I'm just curious...it's been a while since Dave has posted anything, nothing's been revealed for a couple of weeks. Just a few new apps, could this be the beginning of something big being released soon? Do you think that's why we haven't heard anything? Or do you think it's just a coincidence that MS hasn't said anything?
They just announced Kin, they've been talking up WP7, they're bringing Zune to more devices, Windows 7 (PC) has been out for less than 9 months, Office 10 has been releasd to enterprise users with the consumer version coming in June, while Office 11 for MAC has been announced for late 2010. Really, I think they've gotten all of their announcements out of the way for this part of the year.

Things I would expect in the "near" future;
-Zune HD follow-up (ZuneHD2, or WP7-based PMP), likely won't be unveiled until at least July to avoid canabalizing existing sales
-Kin on other carriers, but that won't liekly be announced until at least Septemeber, if at all (if Kin flops, no other carrier will go for it)
-More talk about how "effective" Windows 7 is for tablet computing, to help stave off Ipad sales (whether this translates into an actual product release is anyone's guess)
-2-3 more apps for ZuneHD by September (sorry, just had to throw that in )

Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Windows Phone Moderator

I reckon next three apps will be by week 1 June.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
I reckon next three apps will be by week 1 June.
Ok, but the real question is which year? 2011? 2012?

I had to.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
They just announced Kin, they've been talking up WP7, they're bringing Zune to more devices, Windows 7 (PC) has been out for less than 9 months, Office 10 has been releasd to enterprise users with the consumer version coming in June, while Office 11 for MAC has been announced for late 2010. Really, I think they've gotten all of their announcements out of the way for this part of the year.

Things I would expect in the "near" future;
-Zune HD follow-up (ZuneHD2, or WP7-based PMP), likely won't be unveiled until at least July to avoid canabalizing existing sales
-Kin on other carriers, but that won't liekly be announced until at least Septemeber, if at all (if Kin flops, no other carrier will go for it)
-More talk about how "effective" Windows 7 is for tablet computing, to help stave off Ipad sales (whether this translates into an actual product release is anyone's guess)
-2-3 more apps for ZuneHD by September (sorry, just had to throw that in )
Yes, I know what's going on at Microsoft in general (non-Zune related), I just haven't heard any new news about the ZuneHD for a while, except for the Kin phone, which means nothing to me, since I don't have the money to pay for a phone.

Retired Devices:

Old 05-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Default Kin merging with WP7 (ZuneHD Too??)

So both Engadget and Gizmodo says that Kin might merge with WP7 making Kin able to download WP7 apps...

I think they got it wrong, maybe its Kin and ZuneHD will merge and Microsoft will release apps supporting both Kin and ZuneHD... But if I am wrong and Kin really does merge with WP7 then will the ZuneHD be included?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
So both Engadget and Gizmodo says that Kin might merge with WP7 making Kin able to download WP7 apps...

I think they got it wrong, maybe its Kin and ZuneHD will merge and Microsoft will release apps supporting both Kin and ZuneHD... But if I am wrong and Kin really does merge with WP7 then will the ZuneHD be included?
I'm pretty sure that Microsoft has marketed Kin as their first phones in the new phone line.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post

They are actually quoting a project manager from Microsoft. I am thinking the same thing. I think there was a reason they used the older ATX2600 in the KIN phones, if they've already made a version of WP7 hardware compatible with it, why duplicate the effort. He definitely said they were going to merge KIN and WP7 platforms.

The current KIN platform is Zune. Hardware and software wise, it is a ZuneHD with a 3G radio, external speaker, and GPS.

I've thought all along that they were just waiting for WP7 to release (which was supposed to be shortly after ZuneHD) so they could merge the platforms and provide a unified experience across all devices. This is still possible. Maybe we see the Zune team get absorbed into the WinMo team.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Buddy

Sorry for being absent guys - just checking in here from Dublin, Ireland.

I got back from ash-delayed Europe and had a week in Seattle before traveling to Australia for a week on a mix of business and pleasure (spent the weekend catching up with mum and dad in Adelaide). I then flew to the US, met my wife in SFO and flew on to Europe for a short week of meetings here. I just wrapped up meetings in Ireland today, have one more in London en route back, and will be in Seattle next week.

Sorry for being a little out of touch.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Are Frequent Flyers points transferable ? LOL

Old 05-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

LOL...Dave-MS: obviously you have been missed! Welcome back - hope your travels have been both enjoyable and productive.

-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post

I got back from ash-delayed Europe and had a week in Seattle before traveling to Australia for a week on a mix of business and pleasure (spent the weekend catching up with mum and dad in Adelaide). I then flew to the US, met my wife in SFO and flew on to Europe for a short week of meetings here. I just wrapped up meetings in Ireland today, have one more in London en route back, and will be in Seattle next week.

Cheers, Dave.
Dave i hope you didn't forget to take Passepartout with you..

Old 05-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post

Cheers, Dave.
Welcome back! That sure is a lot of travels! Good luck with your meeting and have a safe flight home!

-McDougal

Retired Devices:

Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Err... the ash cloud is drifting towards the UK again; there are warnings and stuff, there might be flight problems or delays. Plus the BA strike. Just a heads up. Hope it goes smoothly for you though!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Zune HD 2, not quite

The Zune HD 2 is an absolutely ridiculous idea considering MS obviously wants to have a wide spectrum of devices covering alot of the areas in the portable area. Zund HD is their media device(their ipod touch), WP7 is their phone and media device for those who want an all in one package(their iphone), then this so-called Zune HD 2 with a better tegra chip in it that could render much better graphics, you know what makes the most sense? This may very well be MS's entrance into the portable gaming market; it makes the most sense and would be a genius business decision.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator514 View Post
The Zune HD 2 is an absolutely ridiculous idea considering MS obviously wants to have a wide spectrum of devices covering alot of the areas in the portable area. Zund HD is their media device(their ipod touch), WP7 is their phone and media device for those who want an all in one package(their iphone), then this so-called Zune HD 2 with a better tegra chip in it that could render much better graphics, you know what makes the most sense? This may very well be MS's entrance into the portable gaming market; it makes the most sense and would be a genius business decision.

What do you guys think?
Um, isn't the iPod touch advertised as a portable gaming machine sometimes too? And haven't they already done a few games on the Zune HD? I think the current Z:HD still has plenty of capabilities they have not yet used, so the idea of moving on to a 2nd gen. is kind of silly..... why not just finish the 1st gen?