android
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 AM

Default GTA Driving Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei_bocanescu View Post
I always liked GTA so I picked this one up. I ported the PSP Lua game to work with the X-Fi2, and also added some features.

Avoid the upcoming traffic, but pick up stars for extra points.
You're not save on the sidewalk! You have to drive in between cars.
Upcoming cars on the bottom lane drive the fastest!

Daredevils get rewarded! Move your car to the right to increase the speed and earn more points! Move back to the left to slow down.

Move the car by either accelerometer or dragging your finger across the screen
(not both at the same time; you have to choose an option in settings).

Version 1.1
moving background
cars stay in their lane and move at different speeds

Version 1.2
experimental speed implemented
more horizontal space between cars
minor changes

Version 1.35
settings menu added (shown by sweeping to the left, hidden by sweeping to the right or home button.)
highscore listing (3) with player names.
lives added (4 crashes = game over)
volume control added (hold home button) (oh you cannot drag the volume control.. just clicking)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh1.jpg (27.4 KB, 2201 views)
File Type: jpg sh2.jpg (27.1 KB, 2058 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip GTA Driving Forward_v1.35.zip (561.9 KB, 1729 views)

Last edited by Brett_val; 05-03-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
I gave it a try and here is the result.

I didn't post this in the downloads section yet because I'm not sure if the gameplay is alright like this. I have never played the psp version.
Also the randomisation for new cars could be a little better...any tips on that?
In the final version would it be possible to make the road image repeatedly move from right to left to make the car look like it's moving? Very nice work by the way!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 AM

Wow, great job!

1. As Robert said, the road should be moving.
2. The original game didn't use the accelerometer of course, used up and down keys instead. Is it possible to use the touch screen for movement like you will be clicking and dragging the car around the obstacles?
3. Cars should be traveling at different speeds on different lanes.
4. It doesn't remember the high score.
5. It would be nice if you could play it wide screen (I mean like you normally hold the ZEN) and you would have a 3rd person view of the highway. - it may fit 6 lanes this way.
6. Collecting some stars or $ while slaloming between cars could be a nice add.

I guess it's enough tips for now
Hope you're not angry with me.
Unfortunately, I can't give you programming tips as I'm not into it at all. :|

Old 04-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Wow, great job!

1. As Robert said, the road should be moving.
2. The original game didn't use the accelerometer of course, used up and down keys instead. Is it possible to use the touch screen for movement like you will be clicking and dragging the car around the obstacles?
3. Cars should be traveling at different speeds on different lanes.
4. It doesn't remember the high score.
5. It would be nice if you could play it wide screen (I mean like you normally hold the ZEN) and you would have a 3rd person view of the highway. - it may fit 6 lanes this way.
6. Collecting some stars or $ while slaloming between cars could be a nice add.

I guess it's enough tips for now
Hope you're not angry with me.
Unfortunately, I can't give you programming tips as I'm not into it at all. :|
As for all these issues: I just converted the things I found in the original code. So I guess the psp game also doesn't have a moving background. The psp game also doesn't even save highscores.
But since I started working on it I'll see what I can add to it.

1. I thought redrawing the whole background every frame would be too heavy for the player, but it does it quite well..

2. OK you can now choose to move the car by dragging (touch game) or accelerometer (accelero game). You don't have to drag the car, you can also drag somewhere else in the screen and the car will move. I did this so that you can have a better view while dragging.

3. Done. Cars stay in their lane, and can have 3 speeds.
It's also possible for each lane to have it's own speed, but I thought that would be a little boring..

4. Huh.. it works at my player.. can you check that again?

5. I'm not sure what you mean by this.. isn't this already widescreen? If I would flip the screen 90 degrees so that it would fit 6 lanes, then I think you don't have enough time to see the cars coming?

6. Added one star which appears sometimes instead of a car. When you hit that star you get 10 points.

Oh and I also wanted to add some sounds, but couldn't find something appropiate. So does anyone have a nice sound I could add when you hit the stars or crash your car?
Attached Files
File Type: zip GTA Driving Forward_v1.1.zip (288.2 KB, 43 views)

Old 04-30-2010, 02:50 AM

Nice brett!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
As for all these issues: I just converted the things I found in the original code. So I guess the psp game also doesn't have a moving background. The psp game also doesn't even save highscores.
But since I started working on it I'll see what I can add to it.

1. I thought redrawing the whole background every frame would be too heavy for the player, but it does it quite well..

2. OK you can now choose to move the car by dragging (touch game) or accelerometer (accelero game). You don't have to drag the car, you can also drag somewhere else in the screen and the car will move. I did this so that you can have a better view while dragging.

3. Done. Cars stay in their lane, and can have 3 speeds.
It's also possible for each lane to have it's own speed, but I thought that would be a little boring..

4. Huh.. it works at my player.. can you check that again?

5. I'm not sure what you mean by this.. isn't this already widescreen? If I would flip the screen 90 degrees so that it would fit 6 lanes, then I think you don't have enough time to see the cars coming?

6. Added one star which appears sometimes instead of a car. When you hit that star you get 10 points.

Oh and I also wanted to add some sounds, but couldn't find something appropiate. So does anyone have a nice sound I could add when you hit the stars or crash your car?
Fantastic! You're a little magician

4. It doesn't always remember my high score. And when press the "exit button" on the player, should it go completely out to the applications menu, or to the start menu where you select the game type(touch or accelero) - maybe this is why it forgets the highscore?

5. You may have enough time if the road view is different - like 45 degree angle and 90(right above the car like it is now)

6. I'm going to send some sound files that would help, but later.

+ If possible, can you make the car accelerate when it's further down the road(or to the right depending on how you hold the player) and decelerate back when you to the bottom?

+ car sound if possible with volume up while accelerating and volume down while decelerating

Again, I'll send some sounds for engine, crash and star collecting LATER today

Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM

quality, you guys should put that one into the finished apps page. I know you'll make amendments to it, but people will enjoy it as it is already.
Nice one Brett

Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Some sound files that may be useful....
Attached Files
File Type: rar sounds.rar (65.0 KB, 14 views)

Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM

Haha well thank you all, it was not that hard

4. Home button should exit the app completely, and after that it checks if the score was higher than the current highscore, and saves it. I don't see why it shouldn't save your new highscore, but I'll keep an eye on it.

5. Do you mean adding perspective? Like the road is going downhill??

6. About the acceleration: Yeah, but I'm not sure if it's playable this way, it's also really hard! I uploaded v1.15 which has this so you can try it out..

I also added your sounds, thanks for those! I'm not sure how to implement the engine sound though.. it sounds very weird when I loop it, and when I play the sound once every few seconds it's also a little weird..
Attached Files
File Type: zip GTA Driving forward_v1.15.zip (1.00 MB, 76 views)

Old 05-01-2010, 02:18 AM

i really like the new accleration thing, but i think that it should act as a multiplier, to encourage living on the wild side

eg: when driving at speed 1, you get 1 point per car, when at speed 10, 10 poins per car etc.

also, cheating is so easy just by keeping to the pavement at the bottom. maybe you could make it so that the car bounces off the side?

just thought, it would be cool if you had a selection of cars to choose from on the main menu, to mix things up a bit.

~Mr Wunderbar

Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 AM

One thing I've noticed is that you can sometimes pass through cars by quickly dragging your finger. And also you might want a check to see if there is a gap to actually pass through. Several times I've had 3 cars going at me completely blocking off the entire road.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 AM

Wonderfull !

Old 05-01-2010, 06:12 AM

Just one thing...If you drive outside the road,you never loose...Can you do something for this problem ?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wunderbar View Post
i really like the new accleration thing, but i think that it should act as a multiplier, to encourage living on the wild side
Good idea, added that.
You now get half the speed in points for every car that passed outside of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
One thing I've noticed is that you can sometimes pass through cars by quickly dragging your finger.
Thats a hard one Habhome! I have some ideas why it could happen.. just not sure how to get rid of it.

OK! You're not save anymore on the sidewalk!
I changed the coordinates of upcoming cars: You can't pass them when driving over the sidewalks, only in between cars.
I also made sure that there is more space (horizontal) between cars, so it's a little easier to avoid them.

Maybe I'll do a car selection menu later when I have some time

Last edited by Brett_val; 05-01-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM

nice changes, im liking this game more and more!

btw, if you make the car selection, can we have an ice cream van? pleeease

~Mr Wunderbar

Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Haha well thank you all, it was not that hard

4. Home button should exit the app completely, and after that it checks if the score was higher than the current highscore, and saves it. I don't see why it shouldn't save your new highscore, but I'll keep an eye on it.

5. Do you mean adding perspective? Like the road is going downhill??

6. About the acceleration: Yeah, but I'm not sure if it's playable this way, it's also really hard! I uploaded v1.15 which has this so you can try it out..

I also added your sounds, thanks for those! I'm not sure how to implement the engine sound though.. it sounds very weird when I loop it, and when I play the sound once every few seconds it's also a little weird..
5. Yeah. Like in this game (kinda similar one on the iphone):

Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM

awesome btw jus some suggestions:

1)how bout u add some units to the game(km/h, km etc)?

2) wen pressing the home button, the game should exit to the menu instead of exit the app

Old 05-02-2010, 01:56 PM

nice game, but it is possible to drive your car on the lines and don't get hit by another car

Now I have a highscore over 5000 xD

Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wunderbar View Post
nice changes, im liking this game more and more!

btw, if you make the car selection, can we have an ice cream van? pleeease
Ice cream van would be cool It's just that I have no pictures.. do you maybe have one?

Quote:
5. Yeah. Like in this game (kinda similar one on the iphone):
Hmm that looks a lot better yeah.. I'm trying to get it to work, (see the tryout version in the first post) but I have to change all the pictures for it.. and even then I'm not sure if the Zen could do a crash-test on a rectangle that is skewed... (a trapezium?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzbm123 View Post
awesome btw jus some suggestions:

1)how bout u add some units to the game(km/h, km etc)?

2) wen pressing the home button, the game should exit to the menu instead of exit the app
1) done
2) done
Oh.. driven distance would also be nice..forgot about that, I'll add that later
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazana View Post
nice game, but it is possible to drive your car on the lines and don't get hit by another car

Now I have a highscore over 5000 xD
OK ok ok You are now nowhere safe.

So new update.. But I feel the app has become a lot slower.. do you?
Oh and the car selection is not done yet! It looks a bit stupid driving backwards

Last edited by Brett_val; 05-02-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Hmm that looks a lot better yeah.. I'm trying to get it to work, (see the tryout version in the first post) but I have to change all the pictures for it.. and even then I'm not sure if the Zen could do a crash-test on a rectangle that is skewed... (a trapezium?)
It should work with the correct math, there are formulas for trapeziums' area and stuff, I bet it's possible to make up a collision check. Otherwise you divide the collision check into one rectangle and two triangles.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^