android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Headphone Recommendations Needed

Like the title says, I'm in the mood to trade up to some new headphones, and I'm wondering if this forum can help me out.

My DAP is a Sansa Clip+, stock firmware right not but I plan on Rockboxing it when it gets stable. The majority of my music collection is rap and rock so I need some phones with decent bass response (which turned me off to the Phonaks since I heard they lack in that respect), but I listen to house as well so I need them to be well-rounded. I'm gonna mainly use them for commuting so they need to have good isolation but also be comfortable. I prefer headphones that sound a bit on the warm side, I don't plan on using them with an amp and don't want to spend more than $150 on them.

So, what can you suggest?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm guessing the Hippo VB will get some recommendations in this thread. It sounds like the IEM for you since it is in the price range and has huge bass.

The Phonaks' bass isnt all that bad, you just need to amp it...

Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM

+1 on the Hippo VBs

Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
ABI Invaluable

If you are going the headphone rout for communting you want closed circumaural phones so you have isolation. There are a lot of options in the $150 max range, i am going to assume you will pay shipping on top of the $150.

Audio Technica ATH-M50
AKG K81DJ
Creative Aurvana Live!/Denon AH-D1001
M-Audio Q40
Shure SRH 840
Sony XB-700

As you are looking for bass, that list is a good start.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM

I don't necessarily need huge overpowering bass, I just need it to be there when the song calls for it. I'd rather have more well-rounded phones than ones primarily for "bassheads".

Adub, are circumaural phones better than IEMs for isolation? I thought since they went actually inside your ear they were the best in that department?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM

If you're using them for commuting you presumably will have the ability to carry aa briefcase or backpack or something similar. So instead of IEMs I'd suggest a portable headphone instead. My recommendation is the JVC HA-m750. It has a street price of ~$45, offers good isolation relative to other portables, is comfortable and relatively well built. The sound is a bit on the warm side with a good bass response, but they manage to work well for most musical genres.

Quote:
...are circumaural phones better than IEMs for isolation? I thought since they went actually inside your ear they were the best in that department?
IEMs have the best potential isolation, but not all IEMs isolate well. Most dynamic driver IEMS (like the hippo VBs) do an "average" job, maybe ~20db. It is the deep insertion balanced armature IEMs, a la etymotic, that represent the last word in noise attenuation. A well isolating portable headphone like the above HA-m750 will isolate about as much as an average IEM, so about 20db. That is enough for something like the bus, although for something like a subway you may want a bit more isolation.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

+2 for the Hippo VBs. And this coming from someone who is not a basshead by nature. I have been extremely impressed with the overall balance of these guys, even to my inexpert ears.

And to counter JxK a bit...I have no way to measure it, but my experience with the Hippos re: sound isolation has been amazingly good. Even NYC subway noise is extremely diminished. Again, though, I do seem lucky in that I am able to get such a good fit with the included VB tips [and now the Sony Hybrids] that when I remove the IEMs, i can hear/feel a bit of suction in my ears.

I also love my Maximo iMetal 590s. Extremely balanced sound, great presence of music [everything seems very close in my head] and firm, but not overpowering or anemic bass. For $40USD, I continue to believe the i590 is a serious bargain.

But like everything in life, your mileage may vary... :-)

cheers and good luck!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Try the Klipsch Image S4. I've had mine for a few weeks now and when I read your criteria it seemed like you were describing my experience with them.

I like both the quantity and quality of the bass. There's plenty to enjoy but they don't sacrifice the other ranges to get there. With Rockbox I can easily boost the treble a hair to give them a nice balance. With a bump or two on the bass they are real ear thumpers.

Comfort is top notch with the oval shaped tips and I get a very tight seal easily. I commute on Chicago's ancient El daily and I no longer have the temptation to crank the volume when the train goes underground. I get about the same isolation as my Sennheiser HD280 without the clamping force of the headband. The Senns clamping force isn't excessive to me but I wanted something more open for the warm weather.

I like that I was able to get them at BestBuy for the same price as online. Since I had read that the wires were thin I added on a $10 extended warranty. I'm pretty careful with my IEMs so I don't think I'll have problems but just to be on the safe side. They have a 2 year warranty but who wants to wait through the shipping times?

My previous best pair of IEMs was a pair of Sennheiser CX300. Not a bad 'phone but the bass is fairly muddy and the highs were not the best. They are also very microphonic. The cable noise and wind whistle on breezy days could be very distracting. The Klipsch S4 are a considerable step up in SQ and comfort. A lot less microphonic and the bass is much better defined.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
A well isolating portable headphone like the above HA-m750 will isolate about as much as an average IEM, so about 20db. That is enough for something like the bus, although for something like a subway you may want a bit more isolation.
I will be using them on the subway and there are times where the ambient noise gets up to somewhere around 70-80dB, so would you suggest IEMs in that situation?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mischif View Post
I will be using them on the subway and there are times where the ambient noise gets up to somewhere around 70-80dB, so would you suggest IEMs in that situation?
I think you'll want something more isolating for subway use. Most measures of subway volume place it at somewhere between 90 and 100 db. For the sake of safety, lets use 100db for a conservative measurement. A 20db reduction leaves us at an ambient noise level of 80db. To hear music at all over ambient noise, you need to increase its volume about 7-9db over ambient noise. But to hear any sort of detail, you need even more volume.

So lets be conservative again and say you're increasing volume ~15db over ambient. That puts you at 95db, and gives you a safe daily exposure time of about 3 hours.

This is theoretically safe so long as you don't spend a huge amount of time each day on the subway. But at least for me, it is cutting it a bit too close for comfort. And again, its assuming you never have the urge to turn it up more one occasion, which may very well happen.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM

So you're saying essentially, assuming an ambient noise level of 100dB, that for me to comfortably listen to my music for a decent amount of time like 5-6 hours I would need a set of headphones that would isolate more than 20dB. So do the ones you or Adub suggest fit this new requirement as well as the previous ones?

Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM

The headphones I suggested and the IEMs adub suggested both provide inadequate noise attenuation for subway use. For subway use, on the cheap side I will recommend meelectronics M11. They are relatively cheap, well built, lack microphonics...and most importantly allow deep insertion which translates surprisingly good isolation. They should be good enough.

But for maximum isolation, assuming they are within your price range, you would want eytmotic's HF5. At least according to the company website, those things isolate between 35 and 42db (!) depending on the tips used.

I personally don't like they fake-flat sound etymotic is famous for, but as far as I know there isn't another IEM on the market that isolates like etymotic's do.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM

For all the stuff I'm reading on the HF5s, they sound as anemic as the Phonaks regarding bass. And I'm hearing bad things about microphonics, can you say anything about that?

Last edited by Mr_Mischif; 04-25-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:27 PM

Thumb Up

+3 ... (... and use the 2 dots bass ports)

Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM

OK, now I'm getting confused. On this site's review of the UE Super.Fi 5 v2s, it is said that they are among the more bass-heavy single-armature phones, but slightly less than the Phonaks. But since the Phonaks have been said to be slightly lacking, is it just that single-armature phones just lack bass quantity by design?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 PM

Not all single armature phones lack bass by design, the klipsch x10 for instance, is a glaring exception. But yes, both the eyts (and presumably the phonaks) are bass light. If you like deep visceral bass you will like neither the ety nor the PFE. But before sound quality, you must prioritize actually preserving your hearing. And the ety will do that.

But don't forget about the meelectronics M11. It won't isolate as much as the ety hf5, but it is still quite good. And it is a dynamic driver IEM which is slanted toward the low end.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:07 PM

Is the EQ on the Clip+ enough to increase the presence of the bass of either the HF5s or the Phonaks significantly? And are there any numbers out for the Phonaks' isolation?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
ABI Invaluable

The clip+ EQ is nothing special, but you definitely tune up your bass if you wanted to. If you're feeling adventurous you can install a stable version of rockbox and really tweak with the best EQ any dap can have really.

Reading this thread provides all files and information needed.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/s...-33577646.html
love these and not just for there colorfulness but for there bass and price

but i wish they didnt have to have a volume limiter

cause i like max on my phones

Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeezum View Post
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/s...-33577646.html
love these and not just for there colorfulness but for there bass and price

but i wish they didnt have to have a volume limiter

cause i like max on my phones
Too bad the build quality is so shoddy, as I had a pair of those Sony's just die on me.

Now, for full sized cans, look also to see if you can find the Shure SRH750DJ's. The SQ is fantastic, and I managed to find them on Amazon.com for $75.00 shipped.

Tags
headphone, recommendation