android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 04-20-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Quick Home Pictures of the J3 and Zune

My good camera is in disrepair so here are a few quick pictures with my pc camera.
Hereís the box it came in if anyone is interested.
theBOX.jpg
This is a comparasion of my i9 zuneHD j3 and a Samsung Moment so you can get an idea of the size and screen. They all are playing Jean-Luc Ponty. Except for the ZuneHD which can only play when you have headsets plugged in for lack of an external speaker.
i9_ZUNE_J3_moment.jpg
Here is the bottom of the three notice the Cowons have a plastic cover that you have to pry open with your finger nail.
BOTTOM.jpg
Here are some example of the main menu on the j3. You have three choices.
Menus.jpg

Lastly is the usb connectors ZuneHD, J3, i9, Samsung moment and standard mini usb.
usbconnector.jpg

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 PM

This is the Video out adapter plug
TV Out Cable.jpg
Power Button which is on the left side
leftbuttons.jpg
Volume up/down , Menu, Skip buttons which are on the right.
buttonsONright.jpg
Bottom ear plug, miniSD card slot and power sync connector
ButtomConnector.jpg
Early adopters get the best documentation completely unabridged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg documentation.jpg (35.3 KB, 95 views)

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM

awesome!! can you bookmark the music on the j3.. need to know that for my podcasts and audiobooks ,the zune hd has a resume function

Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Default last few pictures

Both the ZuneHD and the j3 are the same thickness. The J3 is slightly wider and longer than the Zune but its not noticeable. What is noticeable is the lack of buttons on the Zune which makes is hard to change tracks or adjust volume.
topview.jpg
Screen view does not do either player justice they are both much clearer than my camera could do.
SidebySide.jpg
A couple of things that canít come across in a picture. The Cowon J3 feels so solid and well built. It feels very nice in your palm. Itís a quality device. The ZuneHD almost hurts you to hold it as the sharp edges really begin to bug you. However the features in the ZuneHD are pretty cool. HD Radio, and Album art floating while a song is playing. Plus you can select Artist Bio and browse additional songs and albums while you listening to a track. Best I could get for battery life on the Zune was 15 hours of real use. So I was playing with menus and changing songs. I into my 20th hours on the Cowon and still have a little less than a quarter battery. But mileage may vary. Sorry for the poor quality pictures but it is what it is.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey thanks a lot for the pics and impressions! Especially valuable IMO are the small stuff you mention like comfort in hand, etc....Congrats and enjoy!

Please continue to post your impressions of the J3, good and bad, big and small...a ton of folks here are interested/drooling [myself included at this point]... ;-)

cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-20-2010, 08:52 PM

20th hour and only less than a quarter left? I thought it was around 60 hours on full charge?

also you mentioned that on zunehd you could browse additional songs while a track is playing; are you saying that you can't do that on the J3? (I thought all mp3 players with a screen could do this lol)

Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody1 View Post
awesome!! can you bookmark the music on the j3.. need to know that for my podcasts and audiobooks ,the zune hd has a resume function
Sorry for the delay, my Audible account and downloads are not working and shold be o.k. tomarrow. I will let you know I love audio books too.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Hey just wondering, is that a HDMI port at the bottom?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wl.joey View Post
20th hour and only less than a quarter left? I thought it was around 60 hours on full charge?
I've got the same question. If you only played 20 hours of music so far and there's only 25% of battery life left, that's not good....

Old 04-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the long awaited photos

Is it just me that feels that the ZHD screen is slightly better ?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
Thanks for the long awaited photos

If you are basing your opinion on this thread's pictures only, I guess it could be because of Zune's higher contrast between the text and what surrounds it.... but it's just me who feels it that way, I don't have any of these players

Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM

please do further testing with the battery ... if it only has ~25hrs, I wouldn't get one

Old 04-21-2010, 03:34 PM

The first few charges won't give you a realistic battery estimate on a modern Li-Poly battery. In a week or two you can ask again.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Camera and lighting make the Zune look better. The J3 is better in that area.

If you only played 20 hours of music so far and there's only 25% of battery life left
Mileage may very. Every review will have an optimum battery life. I gauged with real use. Meaning the was screen on alot, checking and playing around. Speaker on for a while. You know normal use. It still beats the zune cause I only go about 14 hours out of that. Also keep in mind thee J3 is new to me so I was poking around it a lot, changing songs, recording. Take it for what its worth I suppose I will run a true battery test once my son get comes in this weekend with his IPOD touch. I want to fully charge all three and let them run untouched and see who lives.

Yes for use with the included adapter.

also you mentioned that on zunehd you could browse additional songs while a track is playing
No. the j2 does not have the feature to view additional information about and artist. I just wanted to point out the ZuneHD does have its own set of nice features. The Album Info/Art/Bio feature really adds to the enjoyment of your device. You will see big debate over “Who needs WiFi”, “Speaker are a waste” and “The ZuneHD is crap” . This is not true.
To me its like buying a car, they all run. But most have A/C, Electric seats and maybe a sun roof. Some will want the fancy extras and others will want a basic truck that will do the job and last for years and years.

can you bookmark the music on the j3..need to know that for my podcasts and audiobooks.

Audible Books should work on the j3 with book marks. I am able to book mark multiple songs and then come back and the will start at the marked point. Trouble is something is not working on my Audible Manager because I can’t get the files to sync to Audible folder on the J3.

Last edited by g.711; 04-21-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
Yes for use with the included adapter.

Does this mean it outputs 720p? And have you tried this feature?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 PM

I can't get mine to playback 720p h264 mpeg4's. Maybe it can only output? (Too much strain to compress 720 pixels to 270~?)

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfster View Post
I can't get mine to playback 720p h264 mpeg4's. Maybe it can only output? (Too much strain to compress 720 pixels to 270~?)
Are there any HD output cables available? I believe there are composite cables only, therefore no way to transfer 720p contents out.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM

You had your cowon for a couple of weeks now so here are new questions :

1-Are there any scratches or smudges on the screen ? cuz gorilla glass hasnt been officially announced yet.

2- surely you have recharged few times now, whats the average battery life ?

3- If you put player in pocket, do buttons get accidentally pressed being on the side not the top ?

4-Does it support .srt subtitle files ?

5-Does it support Folder Browsing playback ?

Whats your overall opinion/comments ?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
You had your cowon for a couple of weeks now so here are new questions :

1-Are there any scratches or smudges on the screen ? cuz gorilla glass hasnt been officially announced yet.
None on the screen, its held up pretty good to keys and coins No Marks

2- surely you have recharged few times now, whats the average battery life ?
I haven't fully tested lately.

3- If you put player in pocket, do buttons get accidentally pressed being on the side not the top ?
No, The screen will skip track unless you lock it. But once locked the side button can be used for volume and track selection

4-Does it support .srt subtitle files ? I just getting into LDB haven't go it to work yet but it does have the option to enable or disable in settings

5-Does it support Folder Browsing playback ?
Yes fully

Whats your overall opinion/comments ?
love the sound, size and build. The buttons could be a bit more pronounce but that has is disadvantages too. Its very light and really feels good in you had. Its slim and slides in/out of you levis nicely.
screen is much clearer compared to a ZuneHD. In fact when you hold both together you will end up giving the ZuneHD to your kids. the Radio although not HD has better reception than the ZuneHD or my click++ with the same headsets plugged in. Speaker works o.k. on a small room so thats fine.
On the not so good side for Me is the sub-menu setup and icons. Thats because its new to me and I have no manual documentation.jpg I wish it had a standard USB connection so I would only have to carry one cable. see my above pictures. I would like a nice case for it sooner than later. The back plastic side (not the screen) has some scratches which almost wiped out the serial number. (Make sure you make a note of this if you get one.) Im having trouble with Audio Books and Video s but I thinks its me. All in all i'm happy but the sub-menus are not logical to me.

Last edited by g.711; 04-30-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
....SNIPPED...Its slim and slides in/out of you levis nicely....
Well, exactly how tight are your jeans? jk...

Seriously, thanks a ton for your continuing feedback and real world impressions - invaluable information! I look forward to hearing more of your impressions...

Also, re: the menu system...surely we must have an ABi member who speaks/reads Korean? Please make yourself know and help us all out!

cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies