android
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM

its been updated!! v1.1.1

Includes saving and screen size changes!

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Well being from Australia, it is already harder and more costly to get the Zune HD in the first place, then tricky to "just" get the "unofficial" functioning of the service for the Zune HD also running here.

Given this, I'm not about too risk this by putting unsupported 3rd party apps and exploit holes in the MS restricted OPSYS just to find that they take a SONY/PSP approach to firmware that results somehow in my future Zune HD experience being worse than the one I'm happy with now.

So a little clarity from MS around their intentions would be fantastic. I can not believe that they would not have at least contingencies in their security and platform development based on a successful hack. Now that it has happened, I would hope that MS will publicly express a position to make our consideration of using 3rd party apps/sdk on the Zune an informed one.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
Well being from Australia, it is already harder and more costly to get the Zune HD in the first place, then tricky to "just" get the "unofficial" functioning of the service for the Zune HD also running here.

Given this, I'm not about too risk this by putting unsupported 3rd party apps and exploit holes in the MS restricted OPSYS just to find that they take a SONY/PSP approach to firmware that results somehow in my future Zune HD experience being worse than the one I'm happy with now.

So a little clarity from MS around their intentions would be fantastic. I can not believe that they would not have at least contingencies in their security and platform development based on a successful hack. Now that it has happened, I would hope that MS will publicly express a position to make our consideration of using 3rd party apps/sdk on the Zune an informed one.
Microsoft will never support a hack by telling that its harmless...they going to support their official software. Its harmful for a company to support hacks...

I'm very very sure that they will tell us that the hack makes the device unstable and it might be harmful (breaks any kind of guaranty)...blah blah blah.. (Its the proper statement for a situation like this)

So, don't wait for what Dave will say...He is a Microsoft employee and his opinion will mostly mirror Microsoft's opinion. If you want to be sure, just go to Zuneboards and ask the people there who already got it into their devices, if it is possible to bring the device in its original factory state.

EDIT: It seems that the hack is not done inside the firmware, but, inside Zune SDK (software tools for developing Zune apps). With that way, developers can make apps and games which take full advantage of Zune HD hardware capabilities without having to restart the device each time we close a "third party app". Having that in mind it's still very difficult to brick the device because even if something goes wrong with an app, you can always remove the app or reset the device (in case of a huge app crash which doesn't let you reboot the player safely)

Last edited by Zuniq; 04-21-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM

uhh... zuniq, it wouldnt be necessary to reset the device. All you are doing with the zune in this hack is putting hacked games on the unhacked device, so all that would be necessary to do is just delete the zdk or whatever apps...

Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahcheese View Post
uhh... zuniq, it wouldnt be necessary to reset the device. All you are doing with the zune in this hack is putting hacked games on the unhacked device, so all that would be necessary to do is just delete the zdk or whatever apps...
yup...they are not messing with the firmware any more than someone using XNA to create a 3rd party app. basically they made an open SDK for the zune is all.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
I'm sure we will see;

A. A post from Dave playing down the hack (when he is safely back in Seattle)

B. A quickly released (before end May) firmware update that combines the next official MS App releases and extra content promised (they make link them to only allow deployment of new official content via a firmware level that closes the hack's entry point in the OS).

I would certainly handle it this way if I was at MS and someone bypassed my locked down system - shit I would also link ongoing ability to continue your access to Zunepass contingent on upgrading to a new firmware level..

Time will tell I guess. Either way kudos to the hackers. Here's the one question I want Dave to answer ON BEHALF OF MS officially;

"....for any Zune HD owner that has installed the openSDK kit, and installed 3rd party content, will MS in any way release new firmware updates that restrict, penalise or limit that person's Zune HD hardware from ongoing access to firmware, content and upgrades of their device ?"

Dave, can you get an official MS response to this please ?

The official Apps must be appealing enough, otherwise openSDK provides more possibility for different kinds of Apps.

Meanwhile, I hope XNA can support network and 3D to match that SDK, as well as no longer restarting the device after exiting App.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq1991 View Post
its been updated!! v1.1.1

Includes saving and screen size changes!
Awesome! Just the update I was looking for. Thanks for the notice

Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM

I just love how fast third party devs are slingin out apps. On the other hand microsoft devs are just chillin out, and admiring how long they can convince Zune HD users to take the crap that they dish out

Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
I just love how fast third party devs are slingin out apps. On the other hand microsoft devs are just chillin out, and admiring how long they can convince Zune HD users to take the crap that they dish out
Well, to be fair, the devs over at Zuneboards didn't make DOOM, they ported it, the majority of Microsoft's apps were made from scratch and are of much higher quality. I agree they should give us the 3D and Internet XNA extensions, but if they can't or won't well that's just too bad. I do think we will start getting some apps from the OpenZDK that are much higher quality than the DOOM port but most, if not all, will be ports.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 AM

It sounds like what openDZK has achieved is mirrored some level of XNA 4.0, which isn't supported on current HD's. If Microsoft were to release a Zune HD2, I'd say "F*** it" and see what apps could be ported to work with the openZDK.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0ke37 View Post
It sounds like what openDZK has achieved is mirrored some level of XNA 4.0, which isn't supported on current HD's. If Microsoft were to release a Zune HD2, I'd say "F*** it" and see what apps could be ported to work with the openZDK.
I think this may be the reason they DIDNT release the 4.0 for the ZHD.

And for this reason im glad that they hacked it. Because i dont have the cash to keep buying the newest editions of things with features that shouldve, and very easily couldve been in the previous.

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Exactly. If they make a Zune HD2, I will make it a personal mission to boycott the device.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0ke37 View Post
Exactly. If they make a Zune HD2, I will make it a personal mission to boycott the device.
WP7 devices will function as an HD2 basically..they will have a 95% of the current features, plus more processing power, more apps, more games (better games). This doesn't mean that there might be no plans for an HD2 though.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Location: Wellsville w/ Petunia + Artie, the Strongest Man in the World

someone needs to get Conker's Bad Fur Day on the zune some how!